How to Apply for Portugal Schengen Visa from Canada in 5 Easy Steps – A Complete Guide
As Schengen countries go, Portugal is up there as one of the most visited in Europe. Cities like Lisbon and Porto offer visitors plenty to keep them occupied. Faro is a fabulous beach destination with a gorgeous old town where most of the buildings are blue and white. Villamoura on the south coast has a beautiful marina with lots of cafes and restaurants serving some delicious Portuguese food! Get your bags packed! In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Portugal visa at the Embassy of Portugal in Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal, Canada, Portugal visa appointment booking, processing time at the Portugal visa application center, flight itinerary for a Portugal visa, hotel bookings for a Portugal visa, Schengen travel insurance for a Portugal visa application, and Portugal visa application process at the Embassy of Portugal in Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal, Canada.
Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rideau_Canal_at_downtown_Ottawa.JPG. Author Suwannee.payne
Portugal Schengen Visa
In 2018, 266,516 Portugal Schengen visas were received around the world. 44,179 (16.6%) were rejected. The Embassy of Portugal in Ottawa received 82 and rejected 5 (6.1%).
Applying for a Schengen Visa from Canada
If you wish to apply for a visa for Portugal you can do so easily from Canada as long as you can prove that you have a legal right to remain in the country. You can do this by providing your permanent residence card or a valid visa when you submit your application. If you are in Canada temporarily, for example, on a B1 or B2 visa, you must apply from your home country.
Please note, Canadian citizens enjoy visa-free status to Portugal for up to 90 days.
You may apply at the following offices:
- The Embassy of Portugal in Ottawa for applicants living in the City of Gatineau in the Province of Quebec, the cities of Otava e Kingston in the Province of Ontario, all localities in Ontario situated at the East of the Province, crossed by the line between Arnprior, from Highway 17 until Carleton Place, and by Highway 15 until Kingston
- Consulate General of Portugal in Montreal for applicants living in the province of Quebec, except the city of Gatineau, and the Maritime Provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador, and the City of Cornwall in the Province of Ontario
- Consulate General of Portugal in Toronto for applicants living in Nunavut Territory and the Provinces of Ontario and Manitoba with the exception, in the Province of Ontario, of the cities of Ottawa, Kingston and Cornwall, as well as all locations east of Arnprior and Hwy 17 until Carleton Place and Hwy 15 until Kingston
- Consulate General of Portugal in Vancouver for applicants living in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan, the Northwest Territories and the Yukon
You have to make sure you apply at the correct Portugal visa office.
Types of Schengen Visas Offered at the Embassy of Portugal in Ottawa
There are 3 types of visa that you can apply for:
- Short-stay Schengen visa – for holidays, business and visits to family and friends for a maximum of 90 days
- Airport Transit visa to allow a person to transit within the international area of an airport, from one flight to another, without entering the Schengen area
- National visa – for work, studies, au pair, family immigration etc., for stays over 90 days but less than 1 year
Schengen Visa Application Process at the Embassy of Portugal in Ottawa
It takes around 15 days for a visa application to be processed. You can apply up to 90 days ahead, so the earlier you apply, the more chance you will have of there being enough time for your application to be processed by the embassy. Don’t leave it too late!
Here are a few steps to help you apply for your visa.
Step 1: Complete your application form
Go to the embassy’s website and click on: “Consular Section”:
Click on the link for more information. You will be directed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website:
Then, click on: “Short-stay visas (Schengen)” and then “Apply for a visa”:
You will then be able to complete your application form online. Don’t forget to print and sign it, as you will still need to hand this over to the visa office:
Step 2: Make an appointment
Making appointments with the embassy, consulate or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, the visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below.
- All you need to do is send an e-mail to: email@example.com or call the embassy on +1 613 7292270
Step 3: Prepare your documents
You will be able to find out what documents you need for the type of visa you are applying for on the embassy’s website, so check what these are before you start to prepare your documents.
You should also prepare photocopies as well as providing the original documents, so don’t forget to do that too!
- Visa application form filled in and signed
- 1 or 2 Passport photograph (s)
- Passport – must be valid for at least three months after the date of departure from the Schengen zone, at least two empty pages and issued no more than 10 years ago
- Certificate of being in a regular situation when the applicant is from a different nationality than that of the country where the visa is being requested
- Economic and work conditions: work certificate and salary, as well as three last bank transcripts (proof of means of subsistence), covering the entire stay and return to country of origin
- Travel authorization for minors or court decision (when applicable)
- If staying with a family member, proof of family relationship
- For business purposes, an invitation clarifying the purpose of travelling and date of arrival and departure, as well as host organization and person responsible
- For participation in political, economic, scientific, cultural, sport or religious events, proof of attendance is required
- Entry visa for the final destination country (if applicable)
- Criminal record certificate
- Proof of legal residence
- Travel reservation (return ticket)
- Proof of Schengen travel medical insurance to cover medical expenses including those of medical repatriation, medical emergency and/or hospital emergency, and a minimum of 30,000 Euros
- Proof of funds – €75 for each entry; €40 for each day
- Hotel reservation or other proof of accommodation
- Invitation letter by a person or company
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: Attend your appointment
Make sure you arrive early at the embassy because if you miss your appointment, you will probably have to make a new one. Please remember ALL your prepared documents. If you fail to provide just 1 document it could result in your application being rejected. Lastly, it’s not a good idea to dress too casually, so leave the shorts and t-shirt at home.
The visa officer may ask you questions if he/she wants to confirm anything or simply because they want more information. Just answer honestly and you can’t go wrong!
- Have you been to Portugal or the EU before?
- What do you know about Portugal?
- Are you intending to travel to other Schengen countries?
- Why are you traveling to Portugal?
- Are you meeting anyone in Portugal?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
The visa fee will also need to be paid. You can usually pay by money order or cash but check with the embassy as to what payment methods are available. This fee is non-refundable.
|Type of visa||Fee|
|Schengen visa – up to 90 days||90 CAD/€60|
|Long-stay visa – over 90 days||Depends on the type of visa. See the embassy/consulate’s website|
|Child between 6-12 years of age||52 CAD/€35|
|Children under the age of six||Free|
You will also provide a scan of your fingerprints and a photograph if this is your first time applying for a visa.
Step 5: Receive your visa
You can check the status of your visa application on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ website. Once a decision has been reached, you can collect your passport from the embassy’s office. You should ask them whether they can mail it to you.
The decision will be either:
- Approved – your visa will be inside your passport
- Rejected – this would have been for a specific reason
Common rejection reasons include:
- Invalid passport – if your passport is invalid in any way, you must get a new one before you apply for your visa
- No invitation letter – if you are being invited to Portugal by an individual or a company, you must have an invitation letter from them
- Criminal record certificate not included – for some types of visa you are required to provide a criminal record certificate, so check to see whether this applies to you
- Visa for final destination not provided – if you are traveling to another country after Portugal, you may be required to have a visa for the final destination, so it’s always best to see whether you need to arrange a further visa
Contact details of the Embassy of Portugal in Ottawa
Address: 645 Island Park Drive, Ottawa, Ontário – K1Y OB8
Tel: +(1) 613 7290883
Fax: +(1) 613 729 4236
Hours: Monday to Friday: 09:00 am – 1:00 pm
Contact details for the Consulate General of Portugal in Montreal
Address: 2020 boulevard Robert-Bourassa, Suite 2425, Montreal, Québec, H3A 2A5
Tel: +(1 514) 499 03 59
Hours: Monday to Friday: 09:00 am – 12:30 pm
Contact details for the Consulate General of Portugal in Toronto
Address: 438 University Avenue, Suite 1400, Box 41, Toronto, ON, M5G 2K8
Tel: +(1 416) 217 09 66
Fax: +(1 416) 217 09 73
Hours: Monday to Friday: 08:00 am – 2.00 pm
Contact details for the Consulate General of Portugal in Vancouver
Address: 920 – 925 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, BC, V6C 3L2
Tel: +1 604 688 6514
Fax: +1 604 685 7042
Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday – 9.00 am to 12.00 pm; Wednesday 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm
To apply for a Schengen visa for Portugal, follow these simple steps:
- Complete your application online or download it
- Make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.
How to Apply for Schengen Visa from Canada
How to Apply for Austria Schengen Visa from Ottawa, Canada
How to Apply for Belgium Schengen Visa from Montreal, Canada
How to Apply for Czech Republic Schengen Visa from Ottawa, Canada
How to Apply for Denmark Schengen Visa from Ottawa, Canada
How to Apply for Estonia Schengen Visa from Ottawa, Canada
How to Apply for Finland Schengen Visa from Canada
How to Apply for France Schengen Visa from Canada
How to Apply for Germany Schengen Visa from Canada
How to Apply for Greece Schengen Visa from Canada
How to Apply for Hungary Schengen Visa from Canada
How to Apply for Iceland Schengen Visa from Canada
How to Apply for Italy Schengen Visa from Canada
How to Apply for Latvia Schengen Visa from Ottawa, Canada
How to Apply for Liechtenstein Schengen Visa from Ottawa, Canada
How to Apply for Lithuania Schengen Visa from Canada
How to Apply for Luxembourg Schengen Visa from Canada
How to Apply for Malta Schengen Visa from Toronto, Canada
How to Apply for Netherlands Schengen Visa from Canada
How to Apply for Norway Schengen Visa from Canada
How to Apply for Poland Schengen Visa from Canada