Canada Visa from Thailand – How to Apply for Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements Guide
Canada is such a wonderful country for its stunning landscapes, its friendly people, and its delicious food! You’re in for a treat with all the fabulous destinations you can visit! In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Canada Visitor Visa from Thailand – online and in person, processing time at the Canadian visa application center, flight itinerary, and Canada visitor visa application process.
Source: Publicdomainpictures .net
Applying for a Canada Visitor Visa from Thailand
There are 2 ways to apply for a Canada Visitor Visa from Thailand:
Types of visas for Canada
There are different categories relating to the Temporary Resident Visa which you need to apply for if you want to enter and stay in Canada:
- Visitor visa – if you are going to Canada on vacation, visiting family/friends or conducting business for up to 6 months
- Parent and grandparent super visa – if you are visiting your children/grandchildren for up to 2 years
- Transit visa – if you are connecting between 2 international flights, in less than 48 hours
If you are planning to study or work, you will need to apply for the relevant permit before applying for the visa. You can find more information on the Government of Canada’s website.
Visitor visas are issued as:
- Single entry – you are permitted to enter Canada once
- Multiple entry – you are permitted to enter Canada as many times as you wish
The Canada Visitor Visa Application Process
The time it takes for a visitor visa application to be processed from Thailand is 24 days. However, it could take longer depending on the type of visa and whether your information can be easily verified.
You also have to take account of the time it takes for your application to be transported between visa offices. It is your responsibility to apply well in advance of your departure date to avoid disappointment!
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa from Thailand
You may apply for a Canada visitor visa online or in person. If you apply online, there are a number of benefits:
- No courier fees or mail delivery time
- Online applications may be processed more quickly
- Avoid processing delays
- If we need to ask for more documents, you can submit them online
- No need to submit your passport immediately
- Get updates on the status of your application
Whether you apply online or in person, there are 4 steps which you must follow:
- Gather documents
- Complete the application
- Pay the fees
- Submit the application – either electronically (online application) or at the visa office (paper/in-person application)
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa online
Go to www.canada.ca and click on “Menu” – “Immigration and citizenship” – “Visit”:
Go to the “Services and information” section, click on “Apply for a visitor visa”:
Click on “Apply”:
Scroll down to “How do you want to apply” and choose “Online” and click on “Get instructions”:
On the next page, there is a link for the instruction guide which will help you through the application process. Once you have done that, click on “Apply for a visitor visa”:
You will have to create an account:
Then, you can sign in and start your application:
Before you submit your application, you will:
- Complete your information
- Pay the visa and biometric fees
- Upload your documents
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa in person at VFS Global
To apply in person, you will be dealing with VFS Global who are located in Bangkok. There are 7 steps to follow:
- Step 1 – Identify visa type
- Step 2 – Begin your application
- Step 3 – Book an appointment
- Step 4 – Pay the fees
- Step 5 – Visit the visa application center
- Step 6 – Track your application
- Step 7 – Collect your passport
Go to VFS Global’s website and where it says “Apply for a visa” click on “Start now”:
Step 1 – Identify visa type
Click on the link to find out what visa you need for your trip:
Step 2 – Begin your application
You can complete your application form by:
- Downloading it – click on the link for the application form and choose IMM 5257 – Application for Temporary Resident Visa. You still need to print the completed form along with 2 copies of the 2D barcode:
- Apply online and submit the form electronically
Step 3 – Book an appointment
You only need to book an appointment to have your fingerprints and photo taken at the visa application center. If you are simply handing over your application to be processed, there is no need to make an appointment. To check whether you need to provide biometric data, go to the Government of Canada’s website.
Making appointments with the visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure where to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, visa office you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
- Online – click on the link for scheduling an appointment
- By telephone – call the helpline number: +86 4000886637
- By email – use the web form
- By Webchat – click on “Chat now”
- In person – you can visit the visa application center in person
Step 4 – Pay the fees
There are 2 types of fee and you will pay for both at the same time:
- Application processing fee
- Biometric fee
As mentioned above, the fees must be paid before you submit your application online or when you attend your appointment at the visa application center. The fee may be paid online or at the visa application center.
|Type of Visa||Fee in Can $|
Visitor visa (including super visa) – per person
Single or multiple entry temporary resident visa
Visitor visa – per family (1 fee per family of 5 or more people)
Single or multiple entry temporary resident visa. Maximum fee for a family of 5 or more people applying at the same time and place
|Biometrics (per person)||$85|
Biometrics (per family) (2 or more people)
Maximum fee for a family of 2 or more people applying at the same time and place
Fees are subject to change at any time and will not be refunded even if your application is rejected.
VFS Global has a range of other services such as package transmission or photocopying:
How to pay the fees for your application
Click on the link which you’ll find on the visa website:
You will be directed to the Government of Canada’s website where you can pay the fees online:
If you are unable to make online payments, you can pay the fee at the visa application center.
Step 5 – Visit the visa application center
On the day of your appointment, you need to aim to arrive before the time of your slot. You will need to take:
- A copy of your visa application
- A valid passport or travel document with at least 2 pages that are blank on both sides
At the appointment, you will hand over your application and supporting documents. Then, you will provide a scan of your fingerprints and have your photo taken. Lastly, you’ll pay the fee and receive a receipt which will have a tracking number which you can use to find out the progress of your application.
Please note, if you forget to take everything that is required, you will probably have to make a new appointment, so check before you leave home!
Step 6 – Track your application
You can track your application in the following ways:
- On VFS Global’s website
- Webchat: Chat Now
- Email: email@example.com
- Helpline number: +86 4000886637
- Visit the visa application center in person
Step 7 – Collect your passport
After a visa application decision has been made, you can collect your passport from VFS Global or you can choose to have it returned by courier. If you choose the courier service, there will be an additional charge of 174 baht (see above).
Whether you are applying online or in person, there is a list of required documents that you will need to submit with your visa application. There is a document checklist you can refer to. Documents include
- Completed application form for a Temporary Resident Visa – IMM 5257
- Passport – valid for at least 6 months past your trip with 2 blank pages.
- Copies of all cancelled or expired passports as proof of previous trips
- 2 photos with your name and date of birth written on the back. Read the full photo requirements. NOT REQUIRED if you are providing biometrics
- Proof of legal residency status
- Travel authorization letter (if the applicant is a minor) including parent (s) passport
- Visa fee
It is important to note that further documents may be required depending on where you are applying from. Applicants from Thailand also need to submit other specific documents. To find these documents, go to the “Apply online” page and click on “Read the instruction guide”:
Go to the “Gather documents” section and click on the link for “Application for a visitor visa”:
Scroll down to “Select a country/territory” choose Thailand and click on “Get documents”:
Please note, it is very important that you get the documents for the country you are applying from. There are different requirements for each country and if you fail to include these additional documents, your application may be rejected.
On the next page, click on “Visa office instructions – Visit (IMM 5858)”:
You will then be directed to the visa office instruction document:
The above document must be used in conjunction with the document checklist IMM 5484 and it needs to be placed on top of your application pack, so don’t forget to do this.
Read the instructions carefully! In addition to the above documents, applicants from Thailand must provide the following documents:
- VFS Consent form
- Photocopy of the biodata page of your passport
- Proof of sufficient funds – bank statements, payslips or other proof of income such as pension income
- Financial support – to cover expenses while in Canada. If you are not paying for your own trip, provide a letter signed by the person paying and a copy of their passport and bank statement, describe how this person is related to you. Documents should be dated within the last 3 months
- Family Information form IMM 5707
- Explain the purpose of your trip – details of your itinerary, provisional airline and/or hotel booking, letter of invitation from the person/business in Canada, registration at conference, letter from your employer etc
- Schedule 1 form – IMM 5257B if you have answered “Yes” to any of the background questions on the application form
- Letter from your employer – stating company’s address and phone number, your job title, date of hire, salary, name of your supervisor, approval of absence. If you are traveling for business, the letter should also include the purpose of your trip and names/address of companies you will visit
- If you are self-employed – evidence of your business e.g. business registration etc
- If you own a company – commercial registration, tax certificate, corporate bank statements for the last 6 months. Plus, proof of ongoing business and volume of activity
- Proof of study – confirmation of registration
- Invitation letter if you are visiting a friend/family member
It is very important to read this document carefully and get all the required documents relevant to your circumstances and why you are going to Canada.
Please note, you must include a certified translation for any document that is not in English or French.
It is your responsibility to make sure you have all the required documents. Take the time to familiarize yourself with what is needed for your visa application and check everything before submitting your application.
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
After you submit your documents
After you have submitted your application, it will be reviewed. If anything is missing, it will be returned to you without being processed. The visa officer may also ask you to verify any of the information by asking you for further documentation or by asking you to attend an interview.
Your visa application will either be:
- Approved – you will receive your passport with the visa attached to one of the pages. You may collect it from the VFS office or have it returned via courier
- Rejected – you will receive your passport with a letter explaining why the visa was rejected
The following reasons may result in a rejected application:
- Information incorrect – it is important to check that you have given the correct information when filling out your application form, for example, incorrect passport number. Check everything before you submit your application
- You have a criminal record – it is unlikely that you will be allowed to enter Canada if you are thought to be a security risk including drinking whilst under the influence of drink/drugs
- Medical reasons – it may be that your application has been rejected because the visa officer thinks you will endanger public health or cause excess demand on health services. If this is not the case, provide evidence such as a clear medical
- Lack of funds – the visa officer feels you cannot afford the trip either by paying for yourself or receiving financial support. Provide sufficient evidence that you can pay for your trip
Contact details for VFS Global
Helpline Number: +6621187007
|Business hours||Monday to Friday||09:00 – 17:00|
|Passport collection||Monday to Friday||09:00 – 17:00|
|Walk-in hours||Monday to Friday||09:00 – 17:00|
Address: The Trendy Office Building, 10/198-201, 28th Floor, Sukhumvit Soi 13, Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana, Bangkok 10110
1. How can I apply for a Canada visa?
You can apply online at www.canada.ca or in person at the Canada visa application center in Bangkok
2. Am I eligible for an eTA?
Only citizens of certain nationalities are eligible to apply for an eTA. Thailand is not one of the countries who enjoy visa-exempt status, so you will have to apply for a visitor visa
3. How long does it take to get a visitor visa?
Different countries have different processing times. Applications that come from Thailand take 24 days
4. What is biometric data?
Biometric data is a scan of your fingerprints and a photograph which will be taken when you apply for a visa. This information is then used by immigration/security authorities when you travel to different countries
5. Do I need to attend an interview?
Only if the visa officer requires further information and/or more documentation for your visa application
6. Can I arrange my visa when I get to Canada?
No, you must get a visa before you arrive in Canada. Otherwise, you will be denied entry
7. I live in Bangkok. How can I submit my application?
You may submit your application to the Canada visa application center located in Bangkok. See above for the address and contact details
8. My passport is only valid for 3 months. Can I still apply for a visa for Canada?
No, your passport has to be valid for at least 6 months. If not, you will need to get a new one before applying for your Canada visa
9. How long can I stay in Canada with my visitor visa?
You can stay in Canada for up to 6 months unless you apply for a Super Visa which allows you to stay with children/grandchildren for up to 2 years
10. Does the visa guarantee me entry to Canada?
No. Upon arrival in Canada, your identity will be checked to make sure that you are the same person who was given approval to travel to Canada. If there are no issues, only then will you be allowed to enter the country
To apply for your Canada Visitor Visa online:
- Create an account
- Complete your application online
- Pay the fees
- Submit your application
If you are applying in person:
- Gather your documents
- Complete your application form
- Make an appointment (if biometrics are required)
- Pay the fee
- Submit your application
When you get your visa, you’ll soon be off on your exciting trip!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides, Visa Packages and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.