Canada Visa from Philippines – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Canada is a fabulous country to visit! There are exciting cities to explore, delicious food and drink to savour, and stunning mountains, forests, lakes and rivers to get off the beaten track. Once you go to Canada, you’ll be sure to return! In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Canada Visitor Visa from the Philippines – online and in person, processing time at the Canadian visa application center, how to get flight itinerary for visa, and Canada visitor visa application process.
Applying for a Canada Visitor Visa from the Philippines
In order to visit Canada, you must apply for a temporary resident visa. There are 2 ways you can do this from the Philippines:
- Apply online at www.canada.ca
- Apply through VFS Global. The visa application center offices are located in Cebu and Manila
Types of visas for Canada
If you have an ordinary passport and are traveling to Canada as a tourist, you will apply for a visitor visa. If you are going to Canada to visit family or another purpose such as study or you are transiting through Canada, you will need to apply for a different type of visa. You can find out which visa you need by going to the Government of Canada’s website: www.cic.gc.ca/visit-visiter/en/visas
The visitor visa will permit you to enter and stay in Canada for up to 6 months.
Visitor visas are issued as:
- Single entry – you can enter Canada once during the visa dates
- Multiple entry – you can enter Canada as many times as you wish before the visa expires
The Canada Visitor Visa Application Process
Processing times vary depending on where you are applying from. If you are applying from the Philippines, the processing time is 5 days. However, this time doesn’t include the time it takes for your application to be sent to the government of Canada from VFS in the Philippines or the time it takes you to provide biometric data.
In addition, processing times may be affected by:
- The type of application and whether it is complete
- Where your application is in relation to other applications already received
- How easily your information can be verified
- How long you take to respond to any requests made by the visa office (s)
It is important that you apply in plenty of time to allow enough time for your application to be processed before your departure date.
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa
Whether you apply online or in person, there are 4 steps which you must follow:
- Gather documents
- Complete the application
- Pay the fees
- Submit the application
The only difference will be step 4. If you are applying online, you may submit your application electronically. If you are applying in person through the visa application center, you will hand over your application to the visa office.
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa online
Go to the official website – www.canada.ca and click on “Menu” – “Immigration and citizenship” – “Visit”:
Scroll down to “Services and information” and click on “Apply for a visitor visa”:
Click on “Apply”:
Before you decide whether to apply online or in person, you should consider the benefits of applying online:
- No courier fees or mail delivery time
- Online applications may be processed more quickly
- Avoid processing delays
- If we need to ask for more documents, you can submit them online
- No need to submit your passport immediately
- Get updates on the status of your application
To apply online, scroll down to “How do you want to apply” and choose “Online.” Click on “Get instructions”:
On the next page, you should read the instructions before you complete your application. When you are ready to proceed click on “Apply for a visitor visa”:
When you apply online, the first thing you will need to do is to register as a new user:
Then, you can sign in and begin your application:
When you complete your application, the instruction guide will help you key in the specific information. When you have finished, you will pay the visa and biometric fees.
You will also need to upload your documents before submitting the application.
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa in person
Go to VFS Global’s website and where it says “Apply for a visa” click on “Start now”:
There are 7 steps to apply for your Canada visitor visa through VFS Global:
Step 1 – Identify visa type
You can follow the steps mentioned above to complete this step
Step 2 – Begin your application
You can download the application form to complete and print it OR you can complete and submit it electronically. Click on the link for the application form and choose IMM 5257 – Application for Temporary Resident Visa. You still need to print the completed form along with 2 copies of the 2D barcode
Step 3 – Book an appointment
Making appointments with the visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure where to apply or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, visa office you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the paymen
- Receive appointment confirmation in email.
You need to book an appointment to have your fingerprints and photo taken at the visa application center. If you are not required to submit your biometric information, you do NOT need to make an appointment. All you need to do is to visit the application center during their business hours to submit your visa application along with your supporting documents and to pay the fee.
You can also make an appointment on your own.
First, go to VFS Global’s website and you can choose to make your appointment in the following ways:
- Online – click on the link for scheduling an appointment
- By telephone – call the helpline number +632-8528-2505
- By email – click on the link and choose to schedule an appointment and complete the relevant information:
- By Webchat – click on “Chat now”
- In person – you can visit the visa application center in person
Step 4 – Pay the fees
Step 5 – Visit the visa application center
Your application and biometric data will be collected, you will pay the fee and you will be given a receipt which will have a tracking number, which will help you track the progress of your application later
Step 6 – Track your application
You can use your unique tracking reference/number to find out the progress of your application in the following ways:
- Website: Click here for applications lodged on or after 02 November 2018
- Web chat: Chat Now
- Email: Send an email to email@example.com
- Helpline Number: +632-8528-2505
- Visit the Visa Application Centre to track your application
Step 7 – Collect your passport
After a visa application decision has been made, you can pick up your documents from VFS Global or have your documents returned to you by courier. Please note, there may be a fee for this service, so you should check with the visa office
Whether you are applying online or in person, there is a list of required documents that you will need to submit with your visa application. There is a document checklist you can refer to, but documents include
- Completed application form for a Temporary Resident Visa – IMM 5257
- Family information form
- Valid passport
- 2 photos with your name and date of birth written on the back. Please read the photo requirements
- Marriage certificate
- Travel Itinerary and Hotel Booking
- Purpose of travel
- Proof of legal residency status in the Philippines
- Travel Medical Insurance
- Travel authorization letter (if the applicant is a minor) including parent (s) passport
- Visa fee
It is important to note that further documents may be required depending on your nationality and where you are applying from. You can find the specific documents for the Philippines here.
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Scroll down to “Select a country/territory” and choose the Philippines. Then click on “Get documents”:
Please note, you MUST select the country/territory from where you are applying to get your local visa office instructions. If you do not, you might submit an incomplete application which will result in a rejected or delayed application.
On the next page, click on “Visa office instructions – Visit (IMM 5877)”:
You will then be directed to the visa office instruction document:
Please remember, this document must be used in conjunction with the document checklist IMM 5484 (see above). You also need to place the visa office instruction checklist on top of your application pack, so don’t forget to do this.
Read the instructions carefully! In addition to the above documents, applicants from the Philippines also need to provide the following documents:
- A copy of the passport bio-data page – with a minimum of two blank visa pages and minimum 6 months remaining
- Previous passports, if applicable
- Schedule 1 form – IMM 5257B – if you have answered “yes” to any of the background information questions on the application form
- Proof of financial support – bank statements covering the past three months and/or employment letter, pay slips, proof of pension, business registration, investments, etc.
If you are not paying for your own trip: a letter signed by the person paying and a photocopy of their passport. You must also explain how this person is related to you. Documents should be dated within the last 3 months
Required documents for parents and grandparents super visa
- Letter of invitation
- Most recent copy of the Notice of Assessment or most recent copy of the T4 or T1
- Proof of parental relationship – birth certificate
- Proof that your child/grandchild is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Proof of medical insurance – minimum $100,000 cover for one year with a Canadian insurance company
Additional documents required for other visitors
- Letter of employment including your position, length of employment and income; address and phone numbers for the company and the name and position of the person signing the letter. Self-employed persons: Provide proof of business income and income tax paid
- Proof of sufficient funds – bank statement covering the last six months; any additional relevant documentation, e.g payslips, investments, certificates of deposit, etc. If you are not paying for your own trip, indicate how your trip will be funded and provide relevant documentation
- Purpose of your trip – details of your itinerary in Canada; airline and/or hotel booking); letter of invitation; registration at a conference, letter from your employer
Required documents for Seafarers
- Valid seafarer booklet and certificate
- POEA exit permission certificate
- Employment contract
- Letters from Canadian and local manning agencies with vessel joining details
Required documents for RETURNING workers and students
- Students: Current or valid Canadian study permit; proof of current status such as a letter from educational institution confirming enrolment and date of study
- Workers: Current or valid Canadian work permit; letter from employer stating that you are expected to return to Canada and continue employment
Remember to include all the necessary documents before you submit your application.
All documents should be in English or French. If not, you should provide the English or French translation and an affidavit from the person who completed the translation and a certified copy of the original document.
Make sure you have all the required documents for your visa to prevent your application from being delayed or rejected.
Paying the fee
There are 2 types of fee:
- Application processing fee
- Biometric fee
As mentioned above, the fees must be paid before you submit your application online or when you attend your appointment at the visa application center. The fee required may be paid in your local currency.
|Type of Visa||Fee in Can $|
Visitor visa (including super visa) – per person
Single or multiple entry temporary resident visa
Visitor visa – per family (1 fee per family of 5 or more people)
Single or multiple entry temporary resident visa. Maximum fee for a family of 5 or more people applying at the same time and place
|Biometric Fees||CAN $|
|Biometrics (per person)||$85|
Biometrics (per family) (2 or more people)
Maximum fee for a family of 2 or more people applying at the same time and place
Fees are subject to change at any time and will not be refunded even if your application is rejected.
VFS Global may charge you additional fees for other services:
How to pay the fees for your application
To pay your fees for your application you’ll need:
- An email address
- Access to a printer
- A credit card
Click on the link which you’ll find on the visa website and you will be directed to the government of Canada’s website where you can pay for the fees online:
Remember to print off the receipt (2 copies) because you will need to submit one copy along with your visa application. The other copy is your proof of payment.
If you are unable to make online payments, you can pay the fee at the visa application center.
After you submit your documents
Once you have submitted your application, the Canadian visa application office will review your application. Please note, if they have not received everything, your application will be returned and it will not be processed.
At this stage, the visa officer may ask you to attend an interview or send more information such as additional documents.
The outcome of your application will be either:
- Approved – your visa will be attached to your passport which will be returned to you via courier or you can collect it from the VFS office
- Rejected – you will receive an explanation as to why your application was refused
The following reasons may result in a delayed or rejected application:
- Unclear photocopies of documents – make sure any photocopies are clear
- Verification of your information and documents – it is a good idea to provide as much information as possible when applying for your visa. That way, it will help the visa officer verify everything without having to ask you for further information
- A criminal or security problem – if you have been involved in any criminal activity in the past, it’s best to declare this and be upfront and honest
- The visa officer thinks you won’t leave Canada before your visa expires – ensure you provide sufficient information to prove that you won’t stay in Canada longer than your visa allows
Contact details for VFS Global
Helpline Number: +632-8528-2505
Address: Canada Visa Application Centre, VFS Services Phils. Pvt. Inc., 9F Keppel Center Unit 905 Samar Loop cor Cardinal Rosales Ave, Cebu Business Park, Cebu City 6000, Philippines
|Business hours||Monday to Friday||07:00 – 15:00|
|Passport collection||Monday to Friday||07:00 – 15:00|
|Walk-in hours||Monday to Friday||07:00 – 15:00|
Address: Canada Visa Application Centre, VFS Services Phils. Pvt. Inc., 29th Floor, The World Center Bldg, 330 Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue, Makati City, Philippines
|Business hours||Monday to Friday||07:00 – 16:00|
|Passport collection||Monday to Friday||07:00 – 16:00|
|Walk-in hours||Monday to Friday||07:00 – 16:00|
1. Can I apply in person for a Canada visitor visa from the Philippines?
Yes, you can apply in person at VFS Global located in Cebu or Manila
2. What type of visa do I need if I want to go to Canada on holiday?
For tourist purposes, you need to apply for a Visitor Visa
3. How do I pay the fees online?
You can visit the Government of Canada’s website to pay your fees online
4. How long does it take to process a visa for Canada?
It depends on where you are applying from. Different countries have different processing times. You can check the processing times for your country here
5. Why do I need to provide biometrics?
Biometric data is used by immigration and security authorities for identification purposes
6. If I apply online, will I get my visa quicker?
You may get your visa quicker because applying online could avoid delays with processing, but there is no guarantee
7. Can I collect my passport from the visa application center?
You can either collect your passport from the visa application center or have it returned by courier
8. Will I have to attend an appointment?
If you are applying in person, you only need to attend an appointment if you have to provide biometric data. If you are simply submitting your application, there is no need to attend an appointment. However, once you have handed in your application, the visa officer may call you to attend an interview if they need to clarify anything
9. How long can I stay in Canada with my visitor visa?
You are allowed to stay in Canada for up to 6 months
10. What happens if I have forgotten to provide a specific document?
If you have provided an incomplete application, it will be returned to you without being processed, so it’s really important that you check you have everything BEFORE submitting it
Steps to apply for your Canada Visitor Visa online:
- Create an account
- Complete your application online
- Pay the fees
- Submit your application
If you are applying in person:
- Gather your documents
- Complete your application form
- Make an appointment (if biometrics are required)
- Pay the fee
- Submit your application
Hopefully, it won’t be too long before your jetting off to Canada!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides, Visa Packages and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.