Canada Visa from Malaysia – How to Apply for Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements Guide
Have you heard about Canada? It’s a country full of wonders from its amazing natural attractions like the mountain ranges of its national parks to the bustling cities like Quebec and Montreal. You won’t have far to go to do something exciting, fun and, most of all, memorable! In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Canada Visitor Visa from Malaysia – online and in-person, processing time at the Canadian visa application center, flight itinerary and Canada visitor visa application process.
Applying for a Canada Visitor Visa from Malaysia
If you are located in Malaysia and want to go to Canada, don’t worry! It’s easy to apply for your visa. You can apply either:
- Online – the website of website of Immigration, Refugee, Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has everything you need to get your visa
- In-person – apply at VFS Global based in Kuala Lumpur
Types of visas for Canada
If you plan to visit Canada as a tourist, you will need to apply for a Visitor Visa. This is a type of Temporary Resident Visa and you need to obtain one before you arrive in Canada
The visitor visa will allow you to stay in Canada for up to 6 months for tourism, visiting family/friends or conducting business.
If you plan to go for another reason, there are other types of temporary resident visas available:
- Parent and grandparent super visa – if you are visiting your children/grandchildren for up to 2 years
- Transit visa – if you are connecting between 2 international flights, in less than 48 hours
You can find further information about types of visas on the IRCC website.
Depending on your reason for traveling to Canada, you can choose to have your visa issued as:
- Single entry
- Multiple entry
Single entry means you will be allowed to enter Canada once before the visa expires. Multiple entry means you can enter Canada as many times as you wish before expiry of the visa.
The Canada Visitor Visa Application Process
If you are applying for a visitor visa from Malaysia, your application will take 8 days to be processed by the visa office. However, it could take longer due to any of the following reasons:
- The type of visa
- Whether you need to provide more information/documents
- If you submit an incomplete application
- The time it takes for your application to be sent to the main visa office (if applying at your local visa application center)
It is your responsibility to apply well in advance of your departure date.
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa from Malaysia
As mentioned above, you may apply for a Canada visitor visa online or in-person. Before you decide, consider the benefits if you apply online:
- No courier fees or mail delivery time
- Online applications may be processed more quickly
- Avoid processing delays
- You can submit additional documents online, if required
- No need to submit your passport immediately
- Get updates on the status of your application
Whether you apply online or in-person, there are 4 steps which you must follow:
- Gather documents
- Complete the application
- Pay the fees
- Submit the application – either electronically (online application) or at the visa office (paper/in-person application)
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa online
Go to the website of IRCC and click on “Menu” – “Immigration and citizenship” – “Visit”:
Under “Services and information”, click on “Apply for a visitor visa”:
Click on “Apply”:
Scroll down to “How do you want to apply” and choose “Online” and click on “Get instructions”:
On the next page, there is a link for the instruction guide which will guide you through the application process. If you are happy to get started, click on “Apply for a visitor visa”:
You will have to create an account:
Then, you can sign in and begin your application:
After you have finished the online application, you will be asked to pay the fees and upload your documents.
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa in-person
To apply in-person, you will submit your application to VFS Global. There are 7 steps to follow:
- Step 1 – Identify visa type
- Step 2 – Begin your application
- Step 3 – Book an appointment
- Step 4 – Pay the fees
- Step 5 – Visit the visa application center
- Step 6 – Track your application
- Step 7 – Collect your passport
Go to VFS Global’s website and where it says “Apply for a visa” click on “Start now”:
Step 1 – Identify visa type
Click on the relevant link to find out what visa you need for your trip:
Step 2 – Begin your application
You can complete your application form by:
- Downloading it – click on the link for the application form and choose IMM 5257 – Application for Temporary Resident Visa. You still need to print the completed form along with 2 copies of the 2D barcode:
- Apply online and submit the form electronically
Step 3 – Book an appointment
You ONLY need to book an appointment if you need to provide biometrics. If you have provided this data within the last 10 years and are simply handing over your application to be processed, there is no need to make an appointment. To check whether you need to provide biometric data, go to the website of IRCC.
Making appointments with the visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure where to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, visa office you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below:
Go to VFS Global’s website and book your appointment in one of the following ways:
- Online – click on the link for scheduling an appointment
- By telephone – call the helpline number: 1800 888 364
- By email – use the web form
- By Webchat – click on “Chat now”
- In-person – you can visit the visa application center in-person
Step 4 – Pay the fees
You will pay for 2 types of fee at the same time:
- Application processing fee
- Biometric fee
As mentioned above, the fees must be paid before you submit your application online or when you attend your appointment at the visa application center. Fees are subject to change at any time and will not be refunded even if your application is rejected.
|Type of Visa||Fee in Can $|
|Visitor visa (including super visa) – per person|
Single or multiple entry temporary resident visa
|Visitor visa – per family (1 fee per family of 5 or more people)|
Single or multiple entry temporary resident visa. Maximum fee for a family of 5 or more people applying at the same time and place
|Biometrics (per person)||$85|
|Biometrics (per family) (2 or more people)|
Maximum fee for a family of 2 or more people applying at the same time and place
VFS Global has a range of other services such as courier services and photocopying. For further information, check out their website.
How to pay the fees for your application
Click on the link which you’ll find on the visa website:
You will be directed to IRCC’s website where you can pay the fees online:
If you are unable to make online payments, you can pay the fee at the visa application center.
Step 5 – Visit the visa application center
On the day of your appointment:
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before your time slot
- Take a printed copy of your visa application, 2D barcoded sheets (2 copies), passport bio page (2 copies), as well as a valid passport or travel document with at least 2 pages that are blank on both sides
- Take the Biometric Instruction Letter (BIL) (if you have applied online)
You will hand over your application and supporting documents, provide a scan of your fingerprints and have your photo taken (if you are providing biometrics). You will also pay the fees and receive a receipt with a unique number which you can use to track your application.
Take a look at VFS Global’s website for more information about what to expect when you visit the application center before you get there. It pays to be aware, so you are prepared!
Step 6 – Track your application
You can track your application in the following ways:
- On VFS Global’s website
- Webchat: Chat Now
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helpline number: 1800 888 364
- Visit the visa application center in-person
Step 7 – Collect your passport
After a visa application decision has been made, you can pick up your documents from VFS Global or have them returned to you by courier for an additional fee ($23.04/73 MYR 1-way courier).
If you are collecting the decision envelope from VFS Global in-person, you must provide the following:
- A copy of the stamped biographic page of your passport
- The original visa application center services receipt
- A form of government identification
It is your responsibility to make sure the visa issued has the correct dates, single or multiple entry and for the correct purpose of the trip. If there are any issues, you must bring it to the attention of the visa office immediately, otherwise, it may affect your ability to enter Canada.
Whether you are applying online or in-person, there is a list of required documents that you will need to submit with your visa application. There is a document checklist you can refer to. Documents include
- Temporary Resident Visa application form – IMM 5257 – fully completed and signed
- Passport – valid for the duration of your stay in Canada and for at at least 6 months past your trip. It must have at least 2 blank pages
- Cancelled and expired passports, if applicable
- 2 photos with your name and date of birth written on the back. Read the full photo requirements. NOT REQUIRED if you are providing biometrics
- Proof of legal residency status in the country where you are currently living (if not your home country)
- Travel authorization letter (if the applicant is a minor) including parent (s) passport
- Visa fee
It is important to note that further documents may be required depending on where you are applying from. Applicants from Malaysia need to submit other specific documents. To find these documents, go to the “Apply online” page and click on “Read the instruction guide”:
Go to the “Gather documents” section and click on the link for “Application for a visitor visa”:
Scroll down to “Select a country/territory” choose Malaysia and click on “Get documents”:
It is important that you get the documents for the country you are applying from. There are different documents for each country and if you don’t include these, your application may be rejected.
On the next page, click on “Visa office instructions – Visit (IMM 5890)”:
You will then be directed to the visa office instruction document:
Remember! The above document must be used in conjunction with the document checklist IMM 5484 and it needs to be placed on top of your application pack.
You should read the instructions carefully! Additional documents for applications from Malaysia include:
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate
- Details of your itinerary in Canada – provisional travel arrangements, such as an airline and hotel booking
- Proof of previous travel to Canada within the last 10 years (if applicable)
- VFS Consent form
- Proof of sufficient funds/financial support – bank statements, payslips or other proof of income such as pension income. If you are not paying for your own trip, provide a letter signed by the person paying along with their passport and bank statement and proof of relationship. Documents should be dated within the last 3 months
- Family Information form IMM 5707 – fully completed, dated and signed
- Proof of employment – letter stating company’s contact details, your position, date of hire, salary, and approval of absence. If you are self-employed – evidence of your business e.g. business registration etc
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
In addition to the above, provide the following evidence, based on your situation or purpose of travel:
- Letter of invitation stating purpose and duration of your trip
- Proof of relationship
- Inviter’s citizenship/immigration document
- Invitation letter stating the number of people in the household and proof of citizenship of the person you will be staying with
- Proof of relationship
- Employer’s letter/tax returns/most recent T4 or T1
- Proof of medical insurance with cover for at least 1 year and $100,000 to cover hospitalization, repatriation and health care
If you are a student
- Letter from your school confirming approval of absence and when you are required to return
If you are a domestic worker traveling with your employer
- Work permit
- Employer’s ID/passport
- Proof of employer’s business
- Letter stating your employer will cover all expenses and explanation of trip
- Itinerary showing you are traveling together
If you are traveling for business/attending a conference
- Employer’s letter stating approval of trip, purpose, you name, position, salary and date of hire and a statement indicating who will be paying
- Invitation letter from the person who you will be conducting business with/attending a conference with
If you are a returning student with a valid work permit
- A copy of the transcript for the program in which you are enrolled
- Valid Canadian study permit
- Letter from the current school in Canada confirming your enrolment
If you are a short-term, one-term or summer school student
- Letter of acceptance from the Canadian school showing exact fees, course start and end dates
If you are a returning worker holding a valid work permit
- Letter from your employer in Canada confirming ongoing employment to include employer’s name and contact details, your position, salary and date of hire
- Valid Canadian work permit
- Notice of Assessment from the Canada revenue agency, statement of monies paid and payslips for most recent year of employment in Canada
If you are applying for a transit visa
- Air ticket and travel itinerary
- You must indicate the number of times you will be entering Canada and the dates and times for each entry and exit
- Valid visa for country of final destination
- Letter of invitation from the inviter in the country of destination or a letter of intent stating the purpose of your trip
It is very important to read this document carefully and get all the required documents relevant to your circumstances and why you are going to Canada.
Please note, you must include a certified translation for any document that is not in English or French.
Getting the required documents together is one of the most important parts of the visa application process. If you forget to submit everything, it could lead to your application being rejected. Check several times that you have everything you need.
After you submit your documents
After you have submitted your application, it will be reviewed by the visa office. If anything is missing, your application will be returned to you without being processed.
Then, your application will be assessed and the visa officer may contact you to confirm any of the information you have provided or they may call you in for an interview. It’s best to comply with any requests as soon as you can, so your application can be processed as quickly as possible.
Once a decision has been reached, you will be notified of the outcome which will be either:
- Approved – you will receive your passport with the visa attached to one of the pages
- Rejected – you will receive your passport with a letter explaining why it was denied
The following reasons may result in a rejected application:
- Invitation letter is not fully completed – if you have to provide an invitation letter make sure it has all the required information, such as the purpose and duration of the trip
- Documents are dated over 3 months ago – some documents you may need to provide, such as proof of financial support, need to be dated within 3 months of the date you are applying for the visa
- The visa officer doubts you will return home – it is up to you to provide evidence that you intend to return to your home country before the visa expires. Suitable documents could be proof of property or an employment letter etc
- You have given false information – whatever you do, don’t do this! It could affect your ability to go to Canada now or in the future
Contact details for VFS Global
Address: Suite 19-03, Floor 19, Wisma MCA, 163 Jalan Ampang, 50450, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Helpline Number: 1800 888 364
|Business hours||Monday to Friday||09:00 – 17:00|
|Passport collection||Monday to Friday||09:00 – 17:00|
|Walk-in hours||Monday to Friday||09:00 – 17:00|
1. If I live in Malaysia, can I still apply for a Canada visa?
Yes, you may apply online at www.canada.ca or in-person at the Canada visa application center in Kuala Lumpur
2. I want to go to Canada to work, can I apply for a visitor visa?
You need to get the correct permit before applying for a visa. Once you have the necessary permit, you will get the appropriate visa. For further information, go to the IRCC’s website
3. Can I get a visa on arrival in Canada?
No, you must get a visa before you arrive in Canada
4. I have a visa issued as single entry. What does this mean?
Single entry means that you will be able to enter Canada once with your visa
5. How will I know what is happening with my application?
When you submit your application, you will be given a unique tracking number, so you can track your application’s progress. Read this article to find out different ways to do this
6. Do I need to apply for a visa and an eTA?
No, you need either a visa OR an eTA. See the IRCC website for more information
7. If my application gets rejected, will I receive a refund of the fees paid?
No, the fees are non-refundable and are charged to cover the processing costs of your application
8. How can I pay the fees?
You pay the fees online at IRCC with a credit or debit card. If you are unable to pay online, you can do so at the visa application center. You should check with the office as to which payment methods are available
9. Do I need to provide biometric data when I apply for a visa?
You need to provide biometric data, but only if you have not done so within the last 10 years
10. Do I need to make an appointment at the visa application center?
If you are simply handing in your application, no appointment is necessary. However, appointments are mandatory if you need to provide biometric data
To apply for your Canada Visitor Visa online:
- Create an account
- Complete your application online
- Pay the fees
- Submit your application
If you are applying in-person, follow the steps below:
- Gather your documents
- Complete your application form
- Make an appointment (if biometrics are required)
- Pay the fee
- Submit your application
Step 6 – Get your visa! Then, the fun can begin!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides, Visa Packages and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.
Apply for Canada Visa – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from India – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from Philippines – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from China – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from Nigeria- Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from Thailand – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from Zimbabwe – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from Bangladesh – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from Indonesia – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from Jamaica – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements