Canada Visa from China – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Canada is such a fabulous country! Not only is there some of the most stunning countryside in the world where you can explore to your heart’s content, but you’ve also got exciting cities, wildlife tours, and fabulous people who are ready to welcome you to their country! In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Canada Visitor Visa from China – online and in person, processing time at the Canadian visa application center, and Canada visitor visa application process for Chinese citizens and passport holders.
Applying for a Canada Visitor Visa from China
If you want to go to Canada, you will need to apply for a visa. You can do this easily from China in one of the following ways:
- Apply online at www.canada.ca
- Apply through VFS Global located in Beijing, Chengdu, Chongqing. Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Jinan, Kunming, Nanjing, Shanghai, Shenyang and Wuhan
Types of visas for Canada
You will need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa, but there are different categories:
- Visitor visa – if you are going to Canada on vacation, visiting family/friends or conducting business for up to 6 months
- Parent and grandparent super visa – if you are visiting your children/grandchildren for up to 2 years
- Transit visa – if you are connecting between 2 international flights, in less than 48 hours
If you are planning to study or work, you will need to apply for the relevant permit before applying for the visa. You can find more information on the Government of Canada’s website.
Visitor visas are issued as:
- Single entry – you are permitted to enter Canada once
- Multiple entry – you are permitted to enter Canada as many times as you wish
The Canada Visitor Visa Application Process
Visitor visa applications from China take 181 days to process. However, it could take longer depending on the type of visa and whether your information can be easily verified. This timescale does not include the time it takes for your application to be sent from China to the Government of Canada for processing or the time it takes you to provide biometric data.
It’s your responsibility to apply well in advance of your departure date to avoid disappointment!
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa from China
You may apply for a Canada visitor visa online or in person. If you apply online, there are a number of benefits:
- No courier fees or mail delivery time
- Online applications may be processed more quickly
- Avoid processing delays
- If we need to ask for more documents, you can submit them online
- No need to submit your passport immediately
- Get updates on the status of your application
Whether you apply online or in person, there are 4 steps which you must follow:
- Gather documents
- Complete the application
- Pay the fees
- Submit the application – either electronically (online application) or at the visa office (paper/in-person application)
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa online
Go to www.canada.ca and click on “Menu” – “Immigration and citizenship” – “Visit”:
Under the “Services and information” section, click on “Apply for a visitor visa”:
Click on “Apply”:
Scroll down to “How do you want to apply” and choose “Online” and click on “Get instructions”:
On the next page, there is a link for the instruction guide which will give you all the information you need to help you through the application process. Once you have done that, click on “Apply for a visitor visa”:
The first thing you will need to do is to create a new account:
Then, you can sign in and start your application:
Before you submit your application, you will:
- Complete your information
- Pay the visa and biometric fees
- Upload your documents
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa from China in person
There are 7 steps to apply for your Canada visitor visa through VFS Global in China:
- Step 1 – Identify visa type
- Step 2 – Begin your application
- Step 3 – Book an appointment
- Step 4 – Pay the fees
- Step 5 – Visit the visa application center
- Step 6 – Track your application
- Step 7 – Collect your passport
Go to VFS Global’s website and where it says “Apply for a visa” click on “Start now”:
Step 1 – Identify visa type
Click on the relevant link to find out what visa you need for your trip:
Step 2 – Begin your application
You can complete your application form by:
- Downloading it – click on the link for the application form and choose IMM 5257 – Application for Temporary Resident Visa. You still need to print the completed form along with 2 copies of the 2D barcode:
- Apply online and submit the form electronically
Step 3 – Book an appointment
You only need to book an appointment to have your fingerprints and photo taken at the visa application center. If you are simply handing over your application to be processed, there is no need to make an appointment. To check whether you need to provide biometric data, go to the Government of Canada’s website.
Making appointments with the visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure where to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, visa office you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below:
- Online – click on the link for scheduling an appointment
- By telephone – call the helpline number: +86 4000886637
- By email – use the web form
- By Webchat – click on “Chat now”
- In person – you can visit the visa application center in person
Step 4 – Pay the fees
There are 2 types of fee and you will pay for both at the same time:
- Application processing fee
- Biometric fee
As mentioned above, the fees must be paid before you submit your application online or when you attend your appointment at the visa application center. The fee required may be paid in your local currency.
|Type of Visa||Fee in Can $||Fee in RMB|
|Visitor visa (including super visa) – per person|
Single or multiple entry temporary resident visa
Visitor visa – per family (1 fee per family of 5 or more people)
Single or multiple entry temporary resident visa. Maximum fee for a family of 5 or more people applying at the same time and place
|Biometrics (per person)||$85||459|
Biometrics (per family) (2 or more people)
Maximum fee for a family of 2 or more people applying at the same time and place
Fees are subject to change at any time and will not be refunded even if your application is rejected.
VFS Global has a range of other services such as package transmission or photocopying etc. See their website for the full list of services and associated fees.
How to pay the fees for your application
To pay the fees for your application, click on the link which you’ll find on the visa website:
You will be directed to the Government of Canada’s website where you can pay for the fees online:
If you are unable to make online payments, you can pay the fee at the visa application center.
Step 5 – Visit the visa application center
On the day of your appointment, you need to arrive at least 15 minutes before your allotted time. You will need to take:
- A copy of your visa application
- A valid passport or travel document with at least 2 pages that are blank on both sides
At the appointment, you will:
- Hand over your application and supporting documents
- Provide a scan of your fingerprints and have your photo taken
- Pay the fee and receive a receipt which will have a tracking number which you can use to find out the progress of your application
It’s as easy as that! Just don’t forget anything and make sure you have all the required documents otherwise you may have to make a new appointment!
Step 6 – Track your application
You can track your application in the following ways:
- On VFS Global’s website
- Webchat: Chat Now
- Email: email@example.com
- Helpline number: +86 4000886637
- Visit the visa application center in person
Step 7 – Collect your passport
After a visa application decision has been made, you can collect your passport from VFS Global or you can choose to have it returned by courier.
Whether you are applying online or in person, there is a list of required documents that you will need to submit with your visa application. There is a document checklist you can refer to, but documents include
- Completed application form for a Temporary Resident Visa – IMM 5257
- Passport – valid for at least 6 months past your trip with 2 blank pages.
- Copies of all cancelled or expired passports as proof of previous trips
- 2 photos with your name and date of birth written on the back of 1 of the photos. Read the full photo requirements. NOT REQUIRED if you are providing biometrics
- Proof of legal residency status
- Travel authorization letter (if the applicant is a minor) including parent (s) passport
- Visa fee
- Travel itinerary and hotel booking
It is important to note that further documents may be required depending on where you are applying from. If you are applying from China, you will need to submit other specific documents.
On the “Apply online” page, click on “Read the instruction guide”:
Go to the “Gather documents” section and click on the link for “Application for a visitor visa”:
Scroll down to “Select a country/territory” choose China and click on “Get documents”:
Please note, you must get the documents for the country you are applying from. Each country has different requirements and if you fail to include these additional documents, your application may be rejected.
On the next page, click on “Visa office instructions – Visit (IMM 5884)”:
You will then be directed to the visa office instruction document:
The above document must be used in conjunction with the document checklist IMM 5484. You also need to place the visa office instruction checklist on top of your application pack, so don’t forget to do this.
Read the instructions carefully! In addition to the above documents, applicants from China must also provide the following documents:
- VFS Consent form
- Copy of your national identity document
- Family Information form IMM 5707
- Schedule 1 form – IMM 5257B
- Completed “Education, Employment and Travel” form for you and each accompanying family member aged 18 years old and above, completed in English or French AND Chinese
- If you are employed, a signed letter on company letterhead from your employer granting your leave of absence and including your name, position, salary and date of hire and your employer’s name and address in Chinese characters as well as the telephone and fax number
- If you are retired, a retirement certificate indicating the amount of your pension
- If you are a student traveling during periods other than school holidays, a letter from your school confirming that you are enrolled and in good standing and that the school has approved your absence
- Original bank documents showing financial history over several months OR Zhima Report available on the Alipay mobile app (available to Chinese Nationals)
- Evidence of assets in China OR Zhima Report
- Evidence of any previous travel
- Hotel Reservation
- Name and address of all agents who assisted you in planning your trip (both in China and Canada)
- Detailed travel itinerary
- Proof of relationship with the inviter in Canada (e.g. copy of birth certificate, copy of Hukou,etc.)
- An invitation letter stating the purpose and duration of the visit and a list showing the number of people in inviter’s household. Plus, a copy of the inviter’s citizenship or immigration status document e.g. Permanent Resident Card and proof of inviter’s income and financial situation. If the inviter is studying in Canada, confirmation that inviter is currently enrolled in school
- Evidence of private medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company, valid for a minimum of one year. Cover for health care, hospitalization and repatriation for a minimum of $100,000
- Proof that you have undergone a medical examination undertaken by one of the panel physicians for China and Mongolia
The visa instruction form has many scenarios for traveling to Canada. This is why it is so important to read this document carefully and get all the required documents relevant to your circumstances and why you are going to Canada.
Please note, you must include a certified translation for any document that is not in English or French.
It is your responsibility to make sure you have all the required documents, so take care and read all the requirements before submitting your application.
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
After you submit your documents
Once you have submitted your application, the Canadian visa office will review your application. If it is incomplete, it will be returned to you without being processed. The visa officer may also ask you to verify any of the information you have provided and/or they may ask you to attend an interview.
Your visa application will either be:
- Approved– you will receive your passport with the visa attached to one of the pages. You may collect it from the VFS office or have it returned via courier
- Rejected– you will receive your passport with a letter explaining why the visa was rejected
The following reasons may result in a rejected application:
- Incomplete application – as mentioned above, there are many documents that are required for your visa application. If you fail to submit everything, your application could be denied. It’s best to spend time making sure you have everything before you hand your application in
- You have provided a forged/false document – if you do this, it could jeopardize your chances of going to Canada now and in the future
- The visa officer thinks you are not planning on returning to China – you must leave Canada before the visa expires, so provide documents to prove you have ties in your home country and you intend to return to China
Contact details for VFS Global
Helpline Number: +86 4000886637
|Business hours||Monday to Friday||08:00 – 16:00|
|Passport collection||Monday to Friday||08:00 – 16:00|
|Walk-in hours||Monday to Friday||08:00 – 16:00|
Address: 12F, Tower A, Central Point Plaza, No. 11, Dongzhimen South Ave, Dongcheng District, Beijing, China, 100007
Address: Room 3602-3603, 36/F, Tower A, Maoye Plaza, No.19 Dongyu Street, Jinjiang District, Chengdu, Sichuan Province China 610016
Address: 33-D, HNA-Poly International Centre, 235 Minsheng Road Yuzhong District Chongqing PR.China-400010
Address: Room No. 351, 3rd Floor, Cheng Jian Mansion, 189 Ti Yu Road West, Tianhe District, Guangzhou, 510620, PRC
Address: Room 801, Universal Center Building B, No.626 Science and Technology Street, Binjiang District, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, China 310051
Address: 8F Qianfoshan Building (Foreign Visa Centre Jinan), No.15-1 Wenhua West Road, Lixia District, Jinan, Shandong Province, China 250011
Address: 1501C, Building A, Low Carbon Business Center, No. 12 Shibo Road, Panlong District, Kunming, China 650000
Address: 7th Floor, Beijing Bank Building, No.190 Hexi Avenue, Jianye District, Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, China 210019
Address: 2/F, Jiushi Commercial Building, No. 213, Middle Sichuan Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai PRC – 200023
Address: 4/F, Fortune Plaza Building A, No.61 Beizhan Road, Shenhe District, Shenyang, Liaoning Province, China 110013
Address: Rm.1301,13/F, China Merchants Bank Tower, No.518, Jianshe Avenue, Jianghan District, Wuhan, Hubei Province China 430022
1. Do I have to apply online?
No. If you prefer, you can apply in person at one of the Canada visa application centers located in China (see above)
2. I am traveling to Canada to see my family. What documents do I need?
You will need to provide an invitation letter stating the purpose and duration of the visit, a list showing the number of people in inviter’s household, proof of your host’s residency status and proof of the inviter’s income and financial situation. Refer to the visa office instruction document for full details
3. Several members of my family want to travel to Canada with me. Can I apply for just 1 visa?
No. You have to apply for a visa for each member of your family
4. Do I need to provide biometric data?
If you have provided this data within the last 10 years, you do not need to do so again
5. Do I need an appointment to submit my application?
As long as you do not have to provide biometric data, you do not need an appointment to submit your application. Simply go to the visa application center during their business hours (see above)
6. Will I be allowed into Canada without a visa?
No. You must obtain the correct visa before arriving in Canada. Otherwise, you will be denied entry
7. How much are the visa fees?
You can find the fees on the Government of Canada’s website
8. How do I know if I need to provide any more information?
Once you have submitted your application, the visa office will contact you if you need to provide any more information
9. How will I receive my passport back?
Your passport will be returned to you via courier or you can collect it from the visa application center
10. Can I apply for an eTA?
Only nationals of certain countries can apply for an eTA. Applicants from China must apply for a visitor visa
Steps to apply for your Canada Visitor Visa online:
- Create an account
- Complete your application online
- Pay the fees
- Submit your application
If you are applying in person:
- Gather your documents
- Complete your application form
- Make an appointment (if biometrics are required)
- Pay the fee
- Submit your application
Once you receive your visa, the next step is to start packing for your fabulous trip to Canada!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides, Visa Packages and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.