Sweden Visa from UK – 5 Easy Steps to Apply for Swedish Schengen Visa
Sweden is another beautiful Schengen country that has some very lovely old towns in Stockholm, Uppsala and Visby, to name a few, and they are perfect for exploring and enjoying the gastronomical delights in cafes and restaurants. If you are into culture, there are many palaces and castles like Drottningholm in Ekero or Gripsholm in Mariefred. There are natural wonders too, for example, beaches and a forest in Haverdal or hiking trails in Skurugata. In this article learn more about how to apply for Sweden visa at the Swedish consulate in UK, London, Edinburgh, Sweden visa appointment booking, Processing time at the Sweden visa application center, flight itinerary for Sweden visa, hotel bookings for Sweden visa, Schengen travel insurance for Sweden visa application, and Sweden Visa Application Process at the London, and Edinburgh embassy.
Sweden Schengen Visas
In 2018, embassies and consulates around the world received 253,292 Sweden visa applications. Of this total amount, 29,604 (11.7%) were rejected. The Embassy of Sweden in London received 4,148 applications and rejected 75 (1.8%).
Applying for a Sweden Schengen Visa from the United Kingdom
If you are a UK citizen, you do NOT need a visa to go to Sweden. However, if you are not a UK citizen, but you permanently live in the UK, you DO need a visa to be able to travel to Sweden. Click here to find out the countries that require a visa for Sweden.
You have to make sure you apply at the right Swedish embassy and consulate. The Embassy of Sweden in the United Kingdom does not deal with visa applications, however, you can still apply from the UK. It is VFS Global that receives visa applications and you can apply through one of their offices which are located in London or Edinburgh depending on where you live. All visa applications are processed by the embassy.
Types of Sweden Schengen Visas Offered in the United Kingdom
There are 2 types of visas that you can apply for and the one you need will depend on the duration of your trip and your reason for travelling to Sweden
- Schengen visa – for stays up to 90 days for the purposes of tourism, business, conference, sports, visiting family/friends and airport transit
- National visa – for stays over 90 days for the purposes of employment, study, residence etc. If you are applying for a National visa, you will also need a residence permit and/or a work permit. For further information, go to the Swedish Migration Agency’s website.
When you apply for your visa, you can choose the number of times you wish to enter Sweden. For example:
- Single entry – you can enter one time only
- Double entry – you can enter twice
- Multiple entry – you can enter as many times as you like (before the visa expires)
Schengen Visa Application Process at VFS Global
Your visa application will be processed in a minimum of 9 days, but some applications could take longer. You may submit your application up to 90 days before your trip, so apply well in advance. Applications older than 90 days will not be accepted and if you hand your application in too late, there may not be enough time for it to be processed.
Here are a few steps to help you apply for your Sweden Schengen visa.
Step 1: Complete your application
The first thing you need to do is to complete your application form. Go to VFS Global’s website and click on: “How to Apply”:
Scroll down to step 2 and you will find the link for the application form. You’ll need to download it in order to print, complete and sign it:
For long-stay National visas, go the website of the Swedish Migration Agency and you will find the relevant application form to download.
Step 2: Make an appointment
Making appointments with the embassy or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below:
You need to make an appointment in order to submit your documents.
For Schengen visa applications:
- Go to VFS Global’s website and click on: “Schedule an appointment”
- Click on the appointment link
- If this is your first time using this system, you will need to create an account
- Then, you can log in
- You’ll then be able to book a suitable day and time for your appointment. Don’t forget to print your appointment letter because you need to take it with you when you attend your appointment
For long-term visas:
- You need to schedule an appointment with the Swedish Embassy in London
- Go to their website and contact them on 020 7917 6400 or email@example.com
- You will be able to make a suitable appointment to submit your long-term visa. Please note, is it the Swedish Migration Agency who will process your application
Step 3: Prepare your documents for submission to VFS Global/Embassy of Sweden in London
Before you start this step, make sure you know what is required because if you miss anything, your application will not be processed and/or it will be rejected. You can find out about the necessary documents for the visa you are applying for on VFS Global’s website. For National visas, go to the Swedish Migration Agency’s website.
You should provide originals as well as photocopies, so remember to this part too!
- Visa application form (original) (see here)
- Original, signed passport and photocopy with at least 2 blank pages for visa purposes, must be valid for at least 90 days beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area and has to be issued within the last 10 years on the day of leaving the Schengen Area
- Passport-sized photograph
- UK residence permit and photocopy endorsed in the passport or issued as a Biometrics card. It must be valid for at least 90 days beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area
- Proof of current occupation for employees – original employer’s letter (less than 1 month old), signed on headed letter and addressed to the Embassy stating name and position of the signee and confirming your employment
- For students – original student letter (less than 1 month old), signed from a UK school/college/university and addressed to the Embassy stating name and position of the signee and confirming your enrollment
- If you are self-employed – original employment letter (less than 1 month old), signed on headed letter and addressed to the Embassy stating name and position of the signee and confirming the nature of your self-employment. Must be obtained from your accountant, solicitor or bank manager OR certificate of incorporation
- If you are unemployed/retired – recent original letter obtained from local Jobcentre or pension service confirming receipt of benefits
- If being sponsored by your spouse/registered partner – marriage certificate (original + copy) and translated to English or Swedish by a certified translator in the UK and spouse/registered partner’s passport (copy), proof of occupation, proof of funds, cover letter (signed & dated) confirming sponsorship
- Proof of funds – latest 3 months UK current account bank statements showing name, address and an end balance dated within the last month. Balance needs to show a minimum amount of £40.00 for each day in the Schengen Area + outstanding accommodation and travel fees OR travellers’ cheques
- Proof of travel (airplane, train, boat, coach, (hired) car) confirmed return travel tickets: mentioning name and travel dates to and from the Schengen Area; when travelling by car: car registration, car insurance, return travel tickets (ferry or Eurotunnel) mentioning the car’s registration number and driver’s driving licence. Note that Embassies in UK may require actual fully paid tickets for the visa application and not the flight reservation based on the jurisdiction you live in. So double check the embassy requirements within your jurisdiction before submitting the documents for visa application.
- Proof of accommodation – confirmed accommodation (hotel, hostel, camping, etc) reservation mentioning name, travel dates and accommodation address details OR invitation letter if you are staying at someone’s home
- Schengen Travel insurance (all-risk medical travel insurance) – valid for all Schengen countries for the entire period of stay. The minimum coverage for medical emergency and repatriation (in case of death clause included) must be €30,000
- Birth certificate and/or certificate of marriage
- Parental consent form and parent’s ID (for minors)
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: Attend your visa interview
On the day of your appointment:
- Arrive early to avoid having to reschedule your appointment
- Show your appointment confirmation letter at reception
- You will be issued a token and directed to the waiting area
- You will be called to the submission counter where your application and supporting documents will be checked
- Your biometric information will be taken (a scan of your fingerprints and a photo)
- Your photograph and passport will be checked to make sure they are valid
- You will be issued a receipt for the fees and service charge paid
After your appointment, VFS Global will send your application to the embassy for processing. The embassy may call you for an interview if they need to check anything with you and/or they want more information. During this interview, they may ask you more questions or ask you to provide further documentation. Simply comply with their requests and provide honest answers to their questions.
- Are you travelling alone?
- Do you know much about Sweden or EU?
- What are you going to do when you arrive?
- What do you do in the UK?
- Have you got a legal right to remain in the UK permanently?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
Sweden Visa Fee
All fees are paid in Pounds Sterling (GBP) and you can pay in cash (except in Edinburgh) credit or debit card or postal order payable to Sweden Visa Application Centre. VFS Global also charge a service fee of £24.36 These fees are non-refundable.
If you are submitting your application directly to the embassy, you should check what payment options are available.
|Type of Visa||Fee in Euro||Fee in GBP|
|Schengen Visa up to 90 days||60||54|
|Nationals of countries with a visa facilitation agreement with the European Union: Albania, Armenia, Bosnia – Herzegovina, Cape Verde, Kosovo, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Russian Federation, Serbia and Ukraine||35||32|
|Children between 6 and 12 years old||35||32|
|Children less than 6 years old||Free||Free|
|Organised groups of school pupils/students accompanied by teachers on study/educational trip; only applicable if applicants have a formal invitation from an educational institution in Sweden||Free||Free|
|Scientific researchers from third countries||Free||Free|
|Representatives of non-profit organisations (up to 25 years old) actively participating in conferences/events (sports, cultural or educational) organised by non-profit organisations||Free||Free|
|National Visa||Check with the Swedish Migration Agency|
|VFS Service Fee||–||24.36|
Step 5: Receive your visa
Once you have submitted your application, you can track its progress.
- Go to VFS Global’s website and click on the “Track your application” tab:
- Click on the tracking link:
- Key in your passport number and date of birth and click on: “Submit”:
If a decision has been reached, you can collect your passport from VFS Global’s office in London (not available in Edinburgh) or your passport will be returned to you via courier for which there is a charge of £16.95.
The decision will be either:
- Approved – you will find your visa inside your passport
- Rejected – your visa application has been rejected for a reason
- Proof of professional status not confirmed – you must provide evidence of your professional status in the UK whether you are employed, unemployed, self-employed, a student or retired
- Travel insurance is not valid – your travel insurance must be valid (see above requirements)
- Proof of accommodation not included – you must provide evidence of where you are going to stay in Sweden such as a hotel booking or, if you are going to stay in someone’s home, you need to provide an invitation letter and address etc
- Damaged passport – if your passport is damaged, i.e. loose or missing pages, you must get a new one before you apply for your visa
Contact details for VFS Global in London
Address: 66 Wilson Street, London, EC2A 2BT
Telephone: 0871 376 0023 – Call centre is open Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 5.30 pm
Hours: Monday to Friday, 4.00 pm to 5.30 pm (passport collections); Submissions by appointment only
Contact details for VFS Global in Edinburgh
Address: 1 Rennie’s Isle, Leith, Edinburgh, EH6 6QT
Telephone: 0871 376 0023 – Call centre is open Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 5.30 pm
Applications submitted in Edinburgh will require an additional 2 – 3 days minimum for processing.
There is no passport collection facility at this branch. Processed applications will be returned only by DX Securemail courier services at a cost of £14.95 per passport/application.
Contact details for the Embassy of Sweden in London
Address: 11 Montagu Place, London, W1H 2AL
Telephone: 020 7917 6418
Monday, 2.00 pm – 4.00 pm
Tuesday, 9.00 am – 11.00 am and 2.00 pm – 3.30 pm
Thursday, 2.00 pm – 3.30 pm
Friday, 9.00 am – 11.00 am
In summary, you only have to follow these 5 easy steps before you’re jetting off to Sweden:
- Complete your application
- Make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your interview
- Receive your visa
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.