Swedish Consulate Chicago – 5 Easy Steps to Apply for Sweden Schengen Visa
If you’re going to Sweden, you won’t be disappointed. Head to Norrland for beautiful forests and mountains which are perfect for hiking and winter sports. This Schengen country is also home to the cities and towns of Svealand and the island regions of Oland and Gotland – with castles, beaches and rock formations to explore! In this article learn more about how to apply for Sweden visa at the Swedish consulate in Chicago, Illinois, Sweden visa appointment booking, Processing time at the Sweden visa application center, flight itinerary for Sweden visa, hotel bookings for Sweden visa, Schengen travel insurance for Sweden visa application, and Sweden Visa Application Process at the Chicago embassy.
Sweden Schengen Visa
In 2017, there were a total of 248,347 Sweden Schengen visa applications received. 9.90% of these were denied. The Embassy of Sweden in Washington processed 3,225 applications and rejected 91 (2.8%) of them.
Applying for a Schengen Visa from the United States
If you are planning on visiting Sweden, you may need to apply for a visa. As a general rule, US citizens do NOT need a visa, but if you were not born in the US you DO need a visa. In order to apply from the United States, you may apply to VFS Global’s Visa Application Center, but you must be living in the country on a permanent basis and you must be able to prove your residence status.
You have to make sure you apply at the right Swedish embassy and consulate. The consulate in Chicago does not deal with visa applications, instead, you will apply through one of VFS Global’s offices which are located in New York, San Francisco, Washington, Chicago and Houston. Therefore, if you live in Chicago, you may submit your visa application to VFS Global’s office in Chicago. Your visa application will be reviewed by the Embassy of Sweden in Washington.
Types of Schengen Visas Offered at VFS Global in Chicago/the Embassy of Sweden in Washington
There are 2 types of visas that you can apply for:
- Schengen visa
- National visa
You will apply for a Schengen visa if:
- The length of your stay is up to 90 days
- The reason for your stay is tourism, business, conference, sports, visiting family/friends and airport transit
You will apply for a National visa if:
- The length of your stay exceeds 90 days
- The reason for your stay is employment, study, residence etc.
Please note, if you are applying for a National visa, you will also need a residence permit. Your application can be submitted to the Embassy in Washington but will be processed by the Swedish Migration Agency. For further information, go to the Swedish Migration Agency’s website for details on how to apply.
When you apply for your visa, you can specify the number of times you wish to enter Sweden. For example:
- Single entry – you can enter one time only
- Double entry – you can enter twice
- Multiple entry – you can enter as many times as you like (before the visa expires)
Schengen Visa Application Process at VFS Global in Chicago/the Embassy of Sweden in Washington
Your visa application will be processed within 15 days, although it could take longer, so you need to apply well in advance. You may submit your application at least 15 days and no later than 90 days before your trip, so don’t leave it too late!
Usually, you have to apply for your visa in person, but you may be able to mail your application to VFS Global in Chicago. Go to VFS Global’s website for more information and to see whether you qualify for this.
Step 1: Complete your application
Applications for Schengen visas are made through VFS Global in Chicago. Go to their website and click on: “Know your visa type”:
Then, click on the category of visa you need, i.e. tourism, visiting family/friends etc:
On the next page, click on: “Documents required” and you’ll find the link for the application form. Download the form, so you can print and complete it:
Please make sure that the application form is properly signed and bring the printed documents with you when attending your visa appointment (see step 2). Incomplete applications will be not be accepted nor submitted to the Embassy for processing.
Step 2: Make an appointment
Making appointments with the embassy or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below:
- For Schengen visa applications, go to VFS Global’s website and click on: “Schedule an appointment”:
- Next, create an account:
- Then, log in:
You’ll then be able to book a suitable day and time for your appointment.
Remember to print your appointment letter because you need to take it with you when you attend your appointment at VFS Global in Chicago
For long-term visas, you need to contact the Swedish Embassy and schedule an appointment through their office.
Step 3: Prepare your documents for submission to VFS Global in Chicago/Embassy of Sweden in Washington
Before you begin to prepare your documents, take a look at VFS Global’s website for what you need for your Schengen visa application. For National visas, go to the Swedish Migration Agency’s website. If you submit an application with anything missing and/or the wrong documents, you may have to rearrange your appointment to a time when you can provide what is required. Either that or your application may be rejected.
You must also provide originals as well as photocopies, so remember to this part too!
- Completed and signed visa application form
- Appointment letter
- Passport – valid for 3 months after your return to the US, issued within the last 10 years and must have 2 free pages
- Residence card or valid US visa including re-entry permit – valid for 3 months past your trip
- Passport-sized photo
- Evidence of employment status – employer letter/last 3 pay slips OR a letter from school/university OR business license and tax return OR proof of pension income
- Sufficient financial means – 3 x bank statements
- Flight reservation
- Hotel reservation or other accommodation in Sweden
- Schengen travel insurance with a minimum of €30,000 to cover medical costs, emergency treatment, and repatriation
- Birth certificate/Marriage certificate
- Parent’s consent form and parent’s ID (for minors)
- Confirmation of sponsorship/event
- FBI record check
- Work contract/letter of enrollment/invitation letter etc.
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: Attend your visa interview
If you have scheduled an appointment, go to VFS Global in Chicago (Schengen visa applications) or the Swedish Embassy in Washington (National visa applications).
Remember to take all your documents. If you forget anything your application will not be processed. Also, don’t be late! VFS Global see many people throughout the day and they will all have appointments. If you miss yours, you will have to reschedule it. In order to make a good impression, it’s a good idea to dress smartly. Dressing in shorts and a t-shirt will have the opposite effect!
When arriving at the visa application center, hand over your appointment confirmation letter at the reception desk. You will be given a token and directed to the waiting area. You will be called to a submission counter where your application and supporting documents will be reviewed. If the visa officer needs any more information from you, they may question you further. If this happens, simply answer the questions honestly.
- Is this your first time traveling to the EU?
- Are you meeting anyone in Sweden?
- What is your job in the US?
- What are your plans in Sweden?
- Are you married?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
You will also pay the fee for your visa application by credit or debit card. Cash or personal checks are not accepted. VFS Global also charge a service fee of $33. If you wish to have your passport mailed to you, VFS Global charge $30 for this service. These fees won’t be refunded even if your application is rejected.
The Embassy accepts money orders or certified bank checks payable to the Embassy of Sweden.
For postal applications, you should provide 2 money orders or cashier’s checks:
- $65 payable to the Embassy of Sweden
- $63 payable to VFS Services USA Inc. ($33 service charge and $30 for return by mail)
|Type of Visa||Fee|
|For citizens of Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Moldavia, Russia and Ukraine||$40|
For National visa fees, go to the Swedish Migration Agency’s website.
If this is your first time applying for a Schengen visa, you will need to provide biometric data which is a scan of your fingerprints and a photograph. However, if you have previously applied for a visa in the last 5 years and your data can be retrieved from the Visa Information System (VIS), you do not have to do this again.
Step 5: Receive your visa
Once you have handed your application over to be processed, you can track it. Go to VFS Global’s website and click on the “Track your application” tab:
Key in your reference number and date of birth and click on: “Submit”:
If a decision has been reached, you can collect your passport from VFS Global’s office in Chicago or you can have it returned to you by mail (remember there is a fee of $30 per passport for this service).
There are 2 outcomes:
- Approved – you will find your visa inside your passport
- Rejected – your visa application has been rejected for a reason
- Some of your documents were false – do NOT provide false documents, you will be found out! Your visa application will be rejected and it could, potentially, affect any future applications you make
- Dates don’t match – the dates of your travel/hotel reservations and tours etc., must match the dates you have specified for the visa
- Bank statements not included – you must provide 3 x bank statements for your visa application to prove that you are able to afford your trip
- No proof of accommodation – you must provide evidence of where you will be staying in Sweden, so you must submit a hotel booking, a rental agreement or an invitation letter with your host’s address etc
Contact details for VFS Global in Chicago
Address: 142 E Ontario Street, Suite # 1700, Chicago, IL 60611
Telephone: 347-329-2738 – Call center is open Monday to Friday, 8.00 am to 6.00 pm.
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 3.00 pm (submission of applications)
Monday to Friday, 3.00 pm to 5.00 pm (collection of passports)
Contact details for the Embassy of Sweden in Washington DC
Address: 2900 K Street NW, Washington DC 20007
Telephone: +1 202 467 2600
Fax: +1 202 467 2699
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 5.00 pm
Passport hours: 2.00 pm to 4.30 pm
Visa phone hours: Monday and Thursday, 11.00 am to 12.00 pm
There are just 5 very easy steps when it comes to applying for your Sweden Schengen visa:
- Complete your application
- Make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your interview
- Receive your visa
Step 6 – jet off to the wonderful destination of Sweden!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.