How to Apply for Sweden Schengen Visa from Australia in 5 Easy Steps – A Complete Guide
There are 26 Schengen countries that you can choose from and Sweden is one of the most beautiful. Its cities like Stockholm with a fabulous nightlife and towns like Jonkoping where you can explore the lakes, Sweden has something for everyone! In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Sweden visa from VFS Global in Australia, Sweden visa appointment booking, processing time at the Sweden visa application centre, flight itinerary for a Sweden visa, hotel bookings for a Sweden visa, Schengen travel insurance for a Sweden visa application, and Sweden visa application process at VFS Global in Australia.
Sweden Schengen Visa
In 2018, Swedish embassies and consulates around the world received 253,292 visa applications and rejected 29,604. The Royal Norwegian Embassy in Canberra received 10 applications and issued 7 of them.
Applying for a Schengen Visa from Australia
Your nationality will determine whether you need to apply for a Schengen visa for Sweden:
- Australian citizens – do not need a visa to visit Sweden as long as the trip does not exceed 90 days
- Non-Australian citizens – do need a visa for Sweden. You must be able to prove that you are living in Australia permanently and legally. If you hold a B1/B2 visa, you must apply from your home country
Sweden is represented by Norway in Australia, so you will submit your application to one of the VFS Global offices in Australia. These are located in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney.
The Royal Norwegian Embassy in Canberra will make the final decision about whether to grant your visa or not.
Types of Schengen visas offered at VFS Global in Australia
There are 3 types of visas you can apply for:
- Schengen visa (short-stay) – for tourism, business, visiting family or friends for up to 90 days
- Airport Transit visa is required when you are connecting through a Schengen country airport and not leaving the airport
- National visa (long-stay) – for business, conference, study or employment etc., for over 90 days
How Can I Apply for a Schengen Visa from Australia
Visa applications are processed by the embassy in Canberra within 15 business days, but it could take longer during busy periods. You should also add an extra 2 – 3 days for your application to be posted from VFS Global to the embassy. VFS recommend that you apply at least 30 days in advance of your trip, so there is enough time for your application to be processed. You can apply up to 90 days ahead, so the earlier you can do so, the better.
Here are 5 easy steps to follow to help you apply for your visa:
Step 1: How to complete your application
Go to VFS Global for Norway’s website and click on: “How to Apply”:
Under “Step 1”, click “Apply now”:
You will be directed to the online system:
You will need to create an account before you log in:
You’ll then be able to complete your application.
Step 2: How to make an appointment
Making appointments with the embassy or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below:
- Go to VFS Global’s website and click on: “Schedule an Appointment”
- Click on the link to schedule an appointment
- Click on the link to access the online booking system
- Register as a new user
- Log in to make a convenient appointment
- Receive an appointment booking confirmation email with the appointment letter
- Print this off and take to the application centre on the appointment day
Step 3: Prepare your documents
There are checklists for required documents on VFS Global’s website, so you should take the time to find out what they are before you start to prepare your documents. This will save time later and ensure you don’t submit an incomplete application.
You should also prepare photocopies as well as providing the original documents, so don’t forget to do that too!
- Cover letter from the Application Portal
- One passport photograph with white background, no older than six months
- Original passport/travel document – valid for entry to all Schengen countries you are visiting, be issued during the last 10 years, be valid for at least three months after departure from the Schengen Area and have at least two unused visa pages
- Photocopies of bio page and all used pages of passport
- VEVO verification email sent on the day you lodge your application directly from the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website to email@example.com
- Tourism questionnaire
- Hotel accommodation for every night you will stay in the Schengen area OR a letter of invitation – from the reference person in the Schengen Area with the reference person’s passport
- Proof of funds, e.g. bank statements for the last three months
- Letter from your employer or educational institution, confirming employment and approved leave for the duration of the trip
- Complete travel itinerary and confirmed bookings for all transport such as return flight tickets
- Travel and medical insurance – valid for your travel, cover the entire Schengen Area, and have a minimum cover of €30,000 for medical expenses, repatriation and repatriation of mortal remains
- For minors – birth certificate and certified English translation (if applicable); Documentation showing parental responsibility and written consent and certified photocopy of passport for both parents
- Power of Attorney, if you wish to allow someone else to make enquiries or receive information on your behalf
- Photocopies of previous passports and visas (if applicable)
- Documentation of own means/properties, e.g. rental contract, deed, car registration, business registration
- Proof of relationship with family members in Australia, e.g. marriage certificate/birth certificates, etc.
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: A guide to your visa appointment
When the day of your appointment arrives:
- Arrive 10 minutes before your appointment is due to begin – if you don’t, it is likely that you will have to make a new appointment which could delay your travel plans
- Remember to take all your documents – if you submit an incomplete application, it may not be accepted by VFS and/or it could be rejected
- Dress smartly – this helps to make a good impression in front of the visa officer
The visa officer may ask you questions about your application. Don’t worry if this happens, they are only trying to establish all the facts, so they can make a fair decision. All you have to do is to give honest answers.
- What are you going to do in Sweden?
- Who are you going to meet there?
- Have you ever been to Europe before?
- When was the last time you applied for a Schengen visa?
- How long have you been employed?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
|Type of visa||Fee|
|Schengen visa – up to 90 days||97 AUD/€60|
|National visa – over 90 days||Varies. See VFS Global’s website|
|Child between 6-12 years of age||56 AUD/€35|
|Children under the age of six||Free|
You can pay the fees by credit or debit card. VFS Global also charge 42.90 AUD for their service. Please be aware, even if your application is rejected, you will not receive a refund of these fees.
You may have to provide a scan of your fingerprints and have your photo taken, especially if this is your first time applying for a Schengen visa.
Step 5: Receive your visa
Once you have submitted your application, you can track its progress on VFS Global’s website. You just need the reference number.
When a decision has been reached, you can either:
- Collect your passport from VFS Global
- Have your passport sent to your home address by courier. A self-addressed envelope is required for this service
The decision will be either:
- Approved – your visa will be inside your passport
- Rejected – this would have been for a specific reason and you can appeal the decision
- No hotel booking – you must provide proof of accommodation, such as a hotel booking, for every night of your stay in Sweden
- Only 1 bank statement was provided – when you provide proof of sufficient funds, you must provide the last 3 bank statements
- Invalid travel insurance – your travel insurance must be valid. It should cover at least €30,000, be valid in all Schengen countries, not just Sweden, and it must cover certain things (see above requirements)
- You have an active Schengen visa already – if you have previously applied for a Schengen visa and it was approved, it may still be valid, so check this before applying for a new visa
Ways to contact VFS Global in Australia
Contact Centre: +61 2 8278 4527
Contact Centre Hours of Operation: 9:00am to 5:00pm AEST
Address: Suite 3, level 13, 55 Swanston Street, Melbourne, Victoria – 3000
Address: Suite 9.03, Level 9, 139 Macquarie Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
Address: Level 4, 90 King William Street, Adelaide, South Australia – 5000
Address: Level 4, 10 Hobart Place, Canberra, ACT 2601
Address: Suite 330, 267 St Georges Terrace, Level 3, Perth WA 6000
Address: Level 8, 87 Wickham Terrace, Spring Hill, Queensland 4004
To apply for a Schengen visa for Sweden in Australia, follow these simple steps:
- Complete your application
- Make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
Once you have your visa, it won’t be long before you land in Sweden for your epic trip!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.