How to Apply for Spain Schengen Visa from Australia in 5 Easy Steps – A Complete Guide
Spain has always been one of the most popular of all the Schengen countries. It’s got everything you could ever want from a destination – beaches, mountains, and wonderful cities. You can eat to your heart’s content, explore the countryside or visit fabulous cathedrals, churches and lots of other historical attractions. You’ll be very happy you decided to visit Spain! In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Spain visa from the visa offices in Australia, Spain visa appointment booking, processing time at the Spain visa application centre, flight itinerary for a Spain visa, hotel bookings for a Spain visa, Schengen travel insurance for a Spain visa application, and Spain visa application process at the visa offices in Australia.
Spain Schengen Visas
In 2018, Spanish embassies and consulates around the world received 1,701,379 visa applications and rejected 157,494. The Consulate General of Spain in Melbourne received 837 and rejected 9. The Consulate General of Spain in Sydney issued 491 visas and the Embassy of Spain in Canberra issued 60 visas.
Applying for a Schengen Visa from Australia
Australian citizens do not need to apply for a Spain visa, they can enter and stay in Spain for a maximum of 90 days without a visa. If you are not an Australian citizen, but you are living in Australia, you do need to apply for a visa for Spain.
You can easily apply for a Schengen visa for Spain from Australia as long as you can provide proof of residence such as a visa.
There are 3 visa offices where you can apply for a visa for Spain. The one you can submit your application to will depend on the area where you live in Australia.
- Embassy of Spain in Canberra for residents of ACT and Queanbeyan
- Consulate General of Spain in Sydney for residents of New South Wales, Queensland and Northern Territory
- Consulate General of Spain in Melbourne for residents of Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania and Western Australia
You have to make sure you apply at the correct Spanish visa office.
Types of Schengen visas offered at the visa offices of Spain in Australia
There are 3 types of visas you can apply for:
- Schengen visa (short-stay) – for tourism, business, visiting family or friends for up to 90 days
- Airport Transit visa is required when you are connecting through a Schengen country airport and not leaving the airport
- National visa (long-stay) – for business, conference, study or employment etc., work and holiday, residence, Au Pair, etc., for over 90 days
How Can I Apply for a Schengen Visa from Australia?
The visa offices of Spain in Australia process visa applications in 15 days and you can submit your application anytime up to 90 days before you intend to travel to Spain. Make sure you apply in plenty of time!
If you are applying at the consulate in Melbourne, you will send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for information and post your application to PO Box 1119, Carlton 3053. Once applications are received and assessed the consulate will arrange a date and time between 10-2 for collection of biometric scans.
If you are applying at the embassy in Canberra or the consulate in Sydney, you must appear in person to submit your documents.
Here are 5 easy steps to follow to help you apply for your visa:
Step 1: How to complete your application
Go to the embassy’s website and you will see the link for the application form under “Visa Information”:
Application forms are also on both consulate’s websites.
Step 2: How to make your appointment
Making appointments with the embassy or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below:
- Embassy of Spain in Canberra – call on 02 6273 35 55 or email at email@example.com
- Consulate General of Spain in Melbourne – send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for information and post your application to PO Box 1119, Carlton 3053. Once applications are received and assessed the consulate will arrange a date and time between 10-2 for collection of biometric scans
Consulate General of Spain in Sydney
- Go to their website, click on “Consular Services” then “Request an Appointment”
- Click on “Visa Applications”
- Click on the link to book your appointment
- Choose “Visados/Visas and the number of applicants
- Choose the date and time for your appointment
Step 3: Get your documents ready
There are document checklists on the websites of the visa offices in Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney. Check what the requirements are before you do anything else. Make sure you submit everything you need for your application.
You should also prepare photocopies as well as providing the original documents, so don’t forget to do that too!
- Visa application form – must be submitted in duplicate
- One passport size color photo
- Passport with a validity of at least 6 months, and at least one blank page plus 1 photocopy of the details page of the passport AND photocopy of the valid current Australian residency visa (VEVO) obtained through the following website www.border.gov.au/vevo
- Those who have been invited by a family/friend in Spain must provide an official invitation letter issued by the Police in Spain
- Confirmed return flight ticket – open tickets are not acceptable. Note that Embassy may require actual fully paid tickets for the visa application and not the flight reservation based on the jurisdiction you live in. So double check the embassy requirements within your jurisdiction before submitting the documents for visa application.
- A letter from employer/college including the dates of return to your employment/studies
- Proof of funds i.e. current Australian bank statement showing last 3 months of transactions (minimum of $853.00 for 1 to 9 days + $95.00 AUD per day over), and proof of payment of accommodation; tour receipt and tour itinerary
- Hotel reservation or other proof of accommodation
- Travel and medical insurance issued in Australia for the duration of the stay covering medical costs and repatriation associated with an accident or sudden illness the insurance must be valid throughout all of the Schengen countries and must cover the whole duration of your stay. The minimum cover is EUR 30,000
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: A guide to your visa appointment
On the day of your appointment,
- Arrive early
- Remember to take your application and supporting documents
- Dress smartly
The visa officer may ask you questions about your application and why you want to go to Spain. All you need to do is answer honestly.
- What do you plan to do in Spain?
- How long have you been in Australia?
- What do you do for a job?
- Has your employer approved your leave?
- Do you have any family in Spain?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
|Type of visa||Fee|
|Schengen visa – up to 90 days||93.60 AUD/ €60|
|National visa – over 90 days||See the relevant consulate or embassy website|
|Child between 6-12 years of age||54.60 AUD/€35|
|Children under the age of six||Free|
You can pay the visa and service fee by cash or money order payable to the correct consulate. The embassy only accepts cash. The fee won’t be refunded even if your visa application is refused or you withdraw your application.
You will also provide biometric data which is a scan of your fingerprints and a photo.
Step 5: Receive your visa
Once a decision has been reached, you can collect your passport from the embassy or consulate.
The decision will be either:
- Approved – your visa will be inside your passport
- Rejected – this would have been for a specific reason and you can appeal the decision
- No proof of accommodation – you must provide proof where you will be staying throughout your trip to Spain
- Dates don’t match – the date of the travel period must match the dates of your other documents such as hotel bookings and flights etc
- Damaged passport – if your passport is damaged, for example, pages are missing, you must get a new passport before you apply for your visa
- Applying at the wrong visa office – the visa office you must apply at will depend on where you live. Each visa office has its own jurisdiction, so you must apply through the one that looks after the area where you live
How to Contact the Embassy of Spain in Canberra
Address: 15, Arkana St. Yarralumla. ACT 2600
Phone number: 02 6273 35 55 (from Spain: 00 61 2 6273 35 55)
Fax: 02 6273 39 18 (desde España: 00 61 2 6273 39 18)
Emergency phone: 0418628275
Hours: Mon-Fri from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm
To apply for a Schengen visa for Spain in Australia, follow these simple steps:
- Complete your application
- Make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
Spain is now in your sight!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.
Finland Visa From Philippines – How to Apply for Finnish Schengen Visa Application Requirements Guide
Sweden Visa From Philippines – How to Apply for Swedish Schengen Visa Application Requirements Guide
Social Media Feeds