Slovak Consulate NYC, New York – 5 Easy Steps to Apply for Slovakia Schengen Visa
There is no doubt about it, Slovakia is a stunning Schengen country. The beautiful capital of Bratislava is ideal for exploring. Maybe the town of Banska Bystrica will attract you with its lovely square, old churches, and museums. If you want somewhere close to nature, then head to Nitra, the oldest city in the country. In this article learn more about how to apply for Slovakia visa at the Slovak consulate in NYC, New York, Slovakia visa appointment booking, Processing time at the Slovakia visa application center, flight itinerary for Slovakia visa, hotel bookings for Slovakia visa, Schengen travel insurance for Slovakia visa application, and Slovakia Visa Application Process at the NYC, New York embassy.
Slovakia Schengen Visa
In 2017, there were 41,639 Schengen visa applications received worldwide. 866 were rejected. The Consulate General of the Slovak Republic in New York received 55 applications and issued all of them.
Applying for Slovakia Schengen Visa from the United States
If you are a US citizen, you do NOT need a visa for Slovakia as long as your trip does not exceed 90 days. If you are not a US citizen, but you live in the US on a permanent basis, you DO need a visa for Slovakia.
You have to make sure you apply at the right Slovak embassy and consulate. The Consulate General of the Slovak Republic in New York represents citizens residing in the following areas:
- Connecticut, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Wisconsin
Therefore, if you live in any of the above areas, you may submit your application to the Consulate General of the Slovak Republic in New York.
Types of Schengen Visas Offered at the Consulate General of the Slovak Republic in New York
There are different types of visas you can apply for and the one you need will depend on the duration of your trip and your reason for traveling to Slovakia:
- Schengen visa type A: airport transit visa – allows you to enter the international zone of the airport and to remain there until the time of the departure of the flight to the destination countrySchengen visa type C: uniform short-stay visa – for tourism, business or visiting friends/family for a maximum of 90 days. This visa is issued as single, double or multiple entry which allows you to enter the country once, twice, or unlimited times respectively
- National visa type D: long-stay visa – for stays of over 90 days for the purposes of employment, business, study, research, family unification, residence etc. This visa is issued for one or multiple entries. If you are applying for this type of visa, you will also need a residence permit. For further information, please visit the consulate’s website
Schengen Visa Application Process at the Consulate General of the Slovak Republic in New York
Visa applications are processed within 10-15 days, but some cases could take longer. You can apply up to 90 days ahead and it is your responsibility to apply well in advance. Please be aware that applications submitted more than 90 days ahead will NOT be accepted.
Here are a few steps to help you apply for your Slovakia visa:
Step 1: Complete your application
The first thing you need to do is to complete your visa application. Go to the consulate’s website and click on: “Consular and visa information”:
Next, click on: “Application forms”:
Then, you will find the links for relevant application forms. You can download the form to complete and sign it:
Step 2: Make an appointment
Next, you need to make an appointment in order to submit your visa application to the consulate. All you need to do is send an email to email@example.com. The consulate will get back to you and offer you an available day and time for your appointment.
Step 3: Prepare your documents
It is up to your to provide the required documents, so it’s a good idea to spend time looking at the consulate’s website to find out what these requirements are. If you submit an incomplete application because you did not know what to provide, your application could be rejected.
You must also provide original documents AND photocopies of everything, so don’t forget to do that!
- Visa application form – please note, the application form must be signed in front of the visa officer
- 1 (one) recent color passport size photograph
- Passport or official travel document issued within the last 10 years and exceeds the intended stay in Slovakia by at least 3 months. Please also make sure that the passport has at least 2 blank pages
- Valid US Residence Permit (Green Card) or valid US resident visa (type A, E, F plus endorsed I-20, G, H, I, J plus J1 documents, L, O, R) The US residence permit or visa should be valid at least 3 months beyond the intended departure from Slovakia
- Evidence of hotel bookings or travel plans for the entire Schengen area OR confirmation of tour (s) with a travel agency
- Invitation letter with a signature of the inviting person authenticated by Slovak public notary or a letter of invitation authenticated by Foreign Police in the Slovak Republic. Copy of Slovak ID (or residence permit in Slovakia) of the inviting friend/relative must also be submitted
- Invitation letter from a business partner/organizer of the event and/or a reference letter from US employer specifying the nature of the business
- Letter issued by employment company verifying continued employment and purpose of the journey
- Documents demonstrating the purpose of travel and stay in Slovakia e.g. medical treatment, study visits or special activities shorter than 90 days, etc
- Proof of financial means – bank account statement(s) during the last 3 months OR proof of regular income such as pay slips of the last 3 months OR letter stating that all expenses are fully covered
- Flight (roundtrip)/travel reservations or other proof of intended transport and full itinerary
- Confirmation of Schengen travel medical insurance to cover urgent medical care and/or emergency treatment in the hospital including repatriation or death. The travel insurance must be valid for all Schengen member states and for the entire length of stay for a minimum of €30,000
- For minors (children under the age of 18) parental consent to travel is required with the birth certificate and other relevant documents if applicable
- Confirmation of enrollment in an educational course
- Prepaid, self-addressed envelope
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: Attend your appointment
When you go to the consulate for your appointment, remember to do the following things:
- Arrive early – if you are late, your appointment may have to be rescheduled
- Don’t forget anything – make sure you have everything ready to hand over to the consulate. If there is anything missing, your application could get rejected
- Dress smartly – if you want to make a good impression, dress appropriately
The visa officer will examine your application and if they need any further information from you, they may ask you questions like:
- Is this your first time traveling to an EU country?
- Will you be seeking employment in Slovakia?
- What is your job in the US?
- How do we know you will return to the US before your visa expires?
- What do you know about Slovakia?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
If you get asked any questions, simply answer them politely and truthfully. The consulate is simply trying to obtain all the facts in order to make a fair decision about your application.
You will also pay the fee for your visa. You can pay by cash or money order. The fee will not be refunded if your visa application is rejected.
|Type of Visa||Fee|
|Schengen visa children’s fee (6 to 12 years old)||$39|
|Schengen Visa C for children (0 to 6 years)||Free|
|National visa/Residence permits||Varies. See the consulate’s website for details of the fees|
If this is your first time applying for a visa, you will have to provide biometric data, however, if you have applied before, your data may be reused as long as it is within a 5 year period.
Step 5: Receive your visa
When the consulate has reached a decision, you can either collect your passport from their office or you can arrange for it to be mailed back to you.
There are 2 outcomes:
- Approved – you will find your visa inside your passport
- Rejected – your visa application would have been rejected for a specific reason. You have the right to appeal the decision within 15 days. If you do, there will be a fee of $34
Common rejection reasons include:
- Invalid passport – if your passport is invalid in any way (see above requirements) you will have to get a new one before you apply for your visa
- Lack of funds – it appears that you cannot afford your trip, so you must provide documents such as bank statements and/or payslips, etc., to prove that you can
- Missing invitation letter – if you are being invited to Slovakia by a person, business, event, etc., you need to provide an invitation letter
- No hotel booking – you must provide a confirmed hotel booking with your visa application. There are no exceptions
Contact details for the Consulate General of the Slovak Republic in New York
Address: 801 Second Avenue, 12th Floor, New York, NY 10017
Telephone: +1 212 286 8434
Fax: +1 212 286 8439
Hours: Monday to Wednesday: 10.00 am – 12.00 pm; Thursday: 2.00 pm – 4.00 pm; Friday: Closed
All you need to do to apply for you Slovakia visa is:
- Complete your application
- Make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
Just 5 easy steps and then you can concentrate on the exciting part – getting ready for your trip to Slovakia!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.
How To Apply for Slovakia Schengen Visa at Slovak Consulate in Los Angeles, California
How To Apply for Slovakia Schengen Visa at Slovak Embassy in Washington, DC