Portuguese Consulate SFO, San Francisco – 5 Easy Steps to Apply for Portugal Schengen Visa
Portugal is a popular destination in the Schengen area and thousands of people visit every year. There is plenty to do and see too. From stunning beaches and surfing to interesting buildings and other historical attractions. It’s easy to get around too and you can travel all over the country by bus or car. If you’re looking for action, head to Lisbon or Porto for a lively night time scene. If you want to get out into the countryside, you’ve got the verdant landscapes of the north to the desert region of Alentejo. In this article learn more about how to apply for Portugal visa at the Portuguese consulate in San Francisco, California, Portugal visa appointment booking, Processing time at the Portugal visa application center, flight itinerary for Portugal visa, hotel bookings for Portugal visa, Schengen travel insurance for Portugal visa application, and Portugal Visa Application Process at the SFO consulate.
Portugal Schengen Visa
In 2017, there were 263,502 Schengen visa applications received worldwide and 39,351 of these were rejected. The Consulate General of Portugal in San Francisco received 560 applications and 16 were not issued.
Applying for Portugal Schengen Visa from the United States
If you are living in the United States on a permanent basis, but you are not a US citizen by birth, you have to apply for a visa if you wish to go to Portugal for any reason.
You have to make sure you apply at the right Portuguese embassy and consulate. If you live in the following areas, you may apply for your visa from the Consulate General of Portugal in San Francisco:
- States: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming
- Territories: American Samoa, Guam, Northern Marianas
If you live in any other area, you can check the Embassy of Portugal’s website to find out which office you need to deal with.
Types of Schengen Visas Offered at the Consulate General of Portugal in San Francisco
There are 2 types of visa that are available from the Consulate General of Portugal in San Francisco and you need to apply for the one that matches your circumstances. For example:
- How long do you wish to go to Portugal for? Up to 90 days or exceeding 90 days
- The reason for your trip? Tourism, business, employment etc.
Portugal (National) visa – this visa is for stays exceeding 90 days for the purposes of employment, study, residence etc.
Schengen visas are issued as:
- Single entry – you can enter Portugal once
- Double entry – you can enter Portugal twice
- Multiple entry – there is no limit to the number of times you can enter Portugal
National Visas are issued as:
- Single entry
- Multiple entry
The number of entries permitted are ONLY valid within the duration of the visa.
If you are applying for a Schengen visa, you will apply through VFS Global in San Francisco and your application will be reviewed by the Embassy of Portugal in Washington.
If you are applying for a National visa, you will apply through the Consulate General of Portugal in San Francisco.
Schengen Visa Application Process at VFS Global and the Portuguese Consulate General in San Francisco
Turnaround times for visa applications are around 15 days. Applications received too late may not be processed it time, so you should apply well in advance of your trip. It’s recommended that you apply at least 1 month beforehand, but you can apply up to 90 days ahead.
Step 1: Complete your application
If you are applying for a Schengen visa, you need to complete the application via VFS Global. Click on: “How to apply”, scroll down to “Step 2” and click on the link:
You will be directed to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for Portugal. Click on: “Vistos”:
On the next page, you can change the language to English if you need to:
Then, click on: “Short-stay visas (Schengen)” or “National visas”and then “Apply for a visa”:
You will then be able to complete your application form online. Don’t forget to print and sign it, as you will still need to hand this over to VFS Global (Schengen visas) or the Portuguese consulate in San Francisco (National visas) when you attend your appointment at their office:
Alternatively, you can access the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for Portugal from the website of the Consulate General of Portugal in San Francisco. Click on: “Consular services”:
Scroll down and click on: “Visas – Portugal” or “Visas – Schengen”:
You will find the links for completing the application forms on the next page. For Schengen visas:
For National visas:
Step 2: Make an appointment
The next step is to make an appointment.
Making appointments with the embassy or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following below steps:
- For Schengen visa applications, go to VFS Global’s website and click on: “Schedule an appointment”
- Next, log in
- Or, register as a new user
- You’ll then be able to book a suitable appointment to visit VFS Global.
- For National visa application appointments, go to the consulate’s website and click on: “Appointments”
- On the next page, read the instructions
- Then, click on: “Visto -Portugal (Residencia/Estada Temporaria)”
- Then, you will be able to make a suitable appointment for you to submit your National visa application to the consulate in San Francisco
Please be aware that you may be able to apply at the consulate in San Francisco by mail if you have recently been issued a Schengen visa and your biometrics have been taken. If you have applied within the last 5 years and your previous visa clearly indicates “VIS” then you can submit your application by mail instead of appearing in person to the visa office. If you think this may apply to you, see the consulate’s website for further information.
Step 3: Preparing your documents for submission to VFS Global or the Consulate General of Portugal in San Francisco
You must submit your application along with all the supporting documents required. If you don’t your application may be rejected. Check the websites of VFS Global and the Portugal consulate in San Francisco for details regarding the requirements.
You should also prepare photocopies and submit these along with your original documents.
- Online application form – submitted and printed from the consulate’s website
- Passport – issued in the last 10 years, 2 free pages, and must have 3 months remaining after your trip
- Copy of the passport’s main page and previous Schengen visas (If applicable)
- Proof of sufficient funds
- Proof of lodging for every day in Schengen area
- Proof of entry and exit of Schengen area – travel booking/flight ticket
- Proof of legal authorization to return to the United States OR legal authorization to continue your trip to a country outside the Schengen area, depending on the applicant’s chosen itinerary
- Proof of health/accident Schengen insurance – valid for the entire Schengen area with a minimum value of €30.000 to cover hospitalization, medical care, and repatriation
- Purpose of your trip to include an address in Portugal and contact information
- FBI criminal background check
- Reference/invitation letter in Portugal from a person who is resident in Portugal or a national of the EU with host ID and/or residence permit
- One standard color passport photo – please do not staple the photo to the application form
- A self-addressed, prepaid priority or express USPS postal envelope for returning passports
- Work contract – must be authenticated by a notary in Portugal
- Diploma and credentials
- Proof of entitlement to work in Portugal
- Proof of permanent address in Portugal and/or declaration of official residence
- Evidence of transfer of funds to Portuguese banks
- Legalized registration proving establishment of a business or commercial enterprise etc., and/or declaration regarding the intended investment
- Proof of pension and evidence of how the funds will be transferred to Portugal
- Proof of grant/sponsorship and duration of stay
- Proof of registration in a Portuguese school etc
- Financial responsibility declaration
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: The visa interview
On the day of your appointment, go to VFS Global or the Portugal consulate in San Francisco. Arrive early and remember to take all your paperwork. If you don’t do either of these things, you may have to reschedule your appointment. Also, dress smartly to make a good impression.
There are 3 parts to the visa interview:
- Your application and supporting documents will be examined
- You will pay the fee
- You may have to provide biometric data
If the visa official needs any further information, they may question you further about your application. Just answer any questions put to you truthfully and politely.
- Is this your first time traveling to the Schengen area?
- Do you know anyone in Portugal?
- What is your salary?
- What will you do when you return to the US?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
Portugal Visa Fee
You will also pay the fee for your visa application.
VFS Global also charge an additional service fee of $33. In addition to these fees, $30 will be charged by VFS Global if you want to have your passport mailed back to you. You will receive a receipt for the fees paid. Fees to VFS Global can be paid in debit or credit card or postal order payable to VFS Services USA Inc.
The fee can be paid to the consulate in San Francisco by cash, money order or cashier’s check payable to the “Portuguese Consulate”. Please note, there will be a charge of $26.30 for the initial processing cost and the additional fee once your application is approved.
These fees are non-refundable regardless of the outcome of your application.
|Type of Visa||Fee|
|Schengen visa children’s fee (6 to 11 years old)||$39.91|
|Schengen visa, low tariff: visa facilitation for citizens of Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cape Verde, Georgia, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Russian Federation, Serbia and Ukraine|
|Visa for residence||Additional fee of $102.92|
|Temporary residence||Additional fee of $85.76|
See VFS Global’s website for details of visa fee exemptions.
If you have never applied for a Schengen visa before, you will have to provide biometric data which includes fingerprints and a photograph taken.
Step 5: Receive your visa
Once you have handed over your file, you can track the status of your short-stay visa application. Go to VFS Global’s website and click on: “After submission” and click on the link:
On this page, click on the link:
Enter your reference number and date of birth and click on: “Submit”:
For National visas, go to the consulate’s website, scroll down and click on: “Visa status”:
Click on: “National visas” then “Verify status”:
You’ll then be able to find out what stage your National visa application is at:
Once a decision has been made, you can collect your passport from VFS Global or the consulate in San Francisco or you can have your passport mailed to you.
If your visa has been approved, it will be inside your passport. If it has been rejected, there would have been a specific reason and you can appeal the decision within 15 days.
- You have provided a false travel document – do NOT hand over a fake document. You will be found out and it will affect the outcome of this and future visa applications
- There were no documents to prove the reason for your trip – you must prove why you are going to Portugal and you must provide the documents to be able to do this. For example, employment contract, tour details etc
- You applied at the wrong visa office – each visa office in the US deals with applications from people living in their own consular district. Check the Embassy of Portugal’s website to make sure you don’t apply at the wrong office
- It appears you don’t have enough money to support your trip – you must be able to afford your trip and the documents you provide must prove this
- Other documents are missing – you must provide all the necessary documents for your visa application. The consulate cannot make a decision if there is anything missing
Contact details for VFS Global in San Francisco
Address: 110 Sutter Street, Floor 05, San Francisco, CA 94104
Telephone: +1 305 704 2172 – Call center is open Monday to Friday, 8.00 am to 5.00 pm
Please note, you cannot book appointments by phone or email!
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 4.00 pm (submission of applications); Monday to Friday, 4.00 pm to 5.00 pm (collection of passports)
Contact details for the Consulate General of Portugal in San Francisco
Address: 3298 Washington Street, San Francisco, CA 94115
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or the consulate’s visa officer: email@example.com
Telephone: It is not possible to contact the consulate by telephone. Please email them if you have any inquiries
Fax: +1 (415) 346-1440
Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9.00 am to 2.00 pm
All you need to do to apply for your Portugal visa is:
- Complete your application
- Make an appointment
- Prepare your documents for submission to VFS Global or the consulate in San Francisco
- Attend your interview
- Receive your visa
Then, you can start the countdown to your departure to Portugal!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.