How to Apply for Norway Schengen Visa from Australia in 5 Easy Steps – A Complete Guide
There are 26 Schengen countries and Norway is just one that you may be planning on visiting. Norway has infamous sites like the Aurora Borealis which will take your breath away. There are beautiful fjords where you can take a cruise and witness just how stunning the country is. In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Norway visa at VFS Global in Australia, Norway visa appointment booking, processing time at the Norway visa application centre, flight itinerary for a Norway visa, hotel bookings for a Norway visa, Schengen travel insurance for a Norway visa application, and Norway visa application process at the visa offices in Australia.
Norway Schengen Visas
In 2018, Norway embassies and consulates around the world received 164,591 visa applications and rejected 15,633 (9.5%). The Royal Norwegian Embassy in Canberra received 375 applications and rejected 16 (4.3%).
Applying for a Schengen Visa from Australia
There are rules for applying for a Schengen visa in Australia:
- Australian citizens – do not need a visa to visit Norway for up to 90 days
- Non-Australian citizens – do need a visa for Norway regardless of the duration of the trip. They must be able to prove that they are living in Australia permanently and not just on a holiday
Applications for Norway Schengen visas can be submitted to any one of the VFS Global offices in Australia. These are located in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney.
The Royal Norwegian Embassy in Canberra will make the final decision about whether to grant your visa or not. VFS Global has no say in this matter.
Types of Schengen visas offered at VFS Global in Australia
There are 3 types of visas you can apply for:
- Schengen visa (short-stay) – for tourism, business, visiting family or friends for up to 90 days
- Airport Transit visa is required when you are connecting through a Schengen country airport and not leaving the airport
- National visa (long-stay) – for business, conference, study or employment etc., for over 90 days
How Can I Apply for a Schengen Visa from Australia?
The embassy in Canberra will process your visa application within 15 business days, but it may take up to 30 business days during peak periods. You should also add an extra 2 – 3 days for your application to be posted from VFS Global to the embassy.
It’s advisable to apply at least 30 days in advance to avoid disappointment but no earlier than 3 months before you plan to fly to Norway.
Here are 5 easy steps to follow to help you apply for your visa:
Step 1: How to complete your application?
Go to VFS Global for Norway’s website and click on: “How to Apply”:
Under “Step 1”, click “Apply now”:
You will be directed to the online system:
You will need to create an account before you log in:
You’ll then be able to complete your application.
Step 2: How to make an appointment?
Making appointments with the embassy or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below:
- Go to VFS Global’s website and click on: “Schedule an Appointment”
- Click on the link to schedule an appointment
- Click on the link to access the online booking system
- Register as a new user
- Log in to make a convenient appointment
- Receive an appointment booking confirmation email with the appointment letter
- Print this off and take to the application centre on the appointment day
Step 3: Prepare your documents
If you go to VFS Global’s website, there is a list of documents that are required for your type of visa. It’s worth taking the time to get to know what these requirements are before you go any further.
You should also prepare photocopies as well as providing the original documents, so don’t forget to do that too!
- Cover letter from the Application Portal
- One passport photograph with white background, no older than six months
- Original passport/travel document – valid for entry to all Schengen countries you are visiting, be issued during the last 10 years, be valid for at least three months after departure from the Schengen area and have at least two unused visa pages
- Photocopies of bio page and all used pages of passport
- VEVO verification email sent on the day you lodge your application directly from the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questionnaire for tourism
- Hotel bookings for every night you will stay in the Schengen area OR invitation letter – from the reference person in the Schengen Area with the reference person’s passport
- Proof of sufficient funds, e.g. bank statements for the last three months
- Letter from your employer or educational institution, confirming employment and approved leave for the duration of the trip
- Complete travel itinerary and confirmed bookings for all transport such as reservation of return flight tickets
- Travel and medical insurance – valid for your travel, cover the entire Schengen area, and have a minimum cover of €30,000 for medical expenses, repatriation and repatriation of mortal remains
- For minors – birth certificate and certified English translation (if applicable); Documentation showing parental responsibility and written consent and certified photocopy of passport for both parents
- Power of Attorney, if you wish to allow another person to make enquiries or receive information on your behalf
- Photocopies of previous passports and visas (if applicable)
- Documentation of own means/properties, e.g. rental contract, deed, car registration, business registration
- Photocopies of documentation of relationship with family members in Australia, e.g. Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificates, etc.
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: A guide to your visa appointment
On the day of your visa appointment, you should arrive 10 minutes before your appointment is due to begin. Remember to take all your documents and dress smartly – every little helps you to secure your visa.
The visa officer may ask you questions about your application. Don’t worry if this happens, simply give true answers.
- Why do you want to go to Norway?
- What do you know about the country?
- What do you do in Australia?
- Has your employer agreed to your time off?
- How long are you going to Norway for?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
|Type of visa||Fee|
|Schengen visa – up to 90 days||97 AUD/€60|
|National visa – over 90 days||Varies. See VFS Global’s website|
|Child between 6-12 years of age||56 AUD/€35|
|Children under the age of six||Free|
You can pay the fees by credit or debit card. VFS Global also charge 42.90 AUD for their service. These fees are non-refundable even if your visa application is refused or you withdraw your application.
You may have to provide a scan of your fingerprints and have your photo taken, especially if this is your first time applying for a Schengen visa.
Step 5: Receive your visa
Once you have submitted your application, you can track its progress on VFS Global’s website.
When a decision has been reached, you can either:
- Collect your passport from VFS Global
- Have your passport sent to your home address by courier. If you choose this option you will need to provide a self-addressed Express Post Platinum 500gm return envelope with your application
The decision will be either:
- Approved – your visa will be inside your passport
- Rejected – this would have been for a specific reason and you can appeal the decision
- Documents missing – if any of the required documents are missing, your application may not be accepted by VFS Global until such a time when you can provide what is asked for
- You provided false documents – under no circumstances provide fake/false documents because you will be found out and this could jeopardise your chances of getting a visa now and in the future
- Passport does not have 2 free pages – your passport must have 2 free pages for the visa to be attached. If it does not, you will need to get a new one before applying for a visa
- Your reason for the trip is not clear – you must provide sufficient evidence for the reason for your trip to Norway. Appropriate documents could be a tour itinerary or a work contract etc. If you are unsure, you should talk to VFS Global for clarification
Ways to contact VFS Global in Australia
Contact Centre: +61 2 8278 4527
Contact Centre Hours of Operation: 9:00am to 5:00pm AEST
Address: Suite 3, level 13, 55 Swanston Street, Melbourne, Victoria – 3000
Address: Suite 9.03, Level 9, 139 Macquarie Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
Address: Level 4, 90 King William Street, Adelaide, South Australia – 5000
Address: Level 4, 10 Hobart Place, Canberra, ACT 2601
Address: Suite 330, 267 St Georges Terrace, Level 3, Perth WA 6000
Address: Level 8, 87 Wickham Terrace, Spring Hill, Queensland 4004
To apply for a Schengen visa for Norway in Australia, follow these simple steps:
- Complete your application
- Make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
Just think, you’ll soon be on your way and having the time of your life!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.