Malta Embassy Washington DC – 5 Easy Steps to Apply for Malta Schengen Visa
Malta is a small Schengen country in the Mediterranean Sea consisting of 3 islands – Malta, Gozo, and Comino. Malta is the largest and has plenty of things to do and see. The capital city of Valletta is a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its wonderful historical buildings. Or you can head to Rabat to see the catacombs or the old Roman villa. St Julian’s is the place to go if you want to take a trip around the islands on a boat. There are also temples and caves, sandy beaches and azure-blue water, so whatever you end up doing, you’ll have a lot of fun in Malta! In this article learn more about how to apply for Malta visa at the Malta embassy in Washington, DC, Malta visa appointment booking, Processing time at the Malta visa application center, flight itinerary for Malta visa, hotel bookings for Malta visa, Schengen travel insurance for Malta visa application, and Malta Visa Application Process at the Washington DC embassy.
Malta Schengen Visa
In 2017, there were 37,881 visa applications received worldwide. 9,557 of them were rejected for a variety of reasons. The Embassy of Malta in Washington DC received 111 applications and rejected 6.
Applying for a Schengen Visa from the United States
If you are planning on visiting Malta, depending on your nationality, you may need a visa. You can check the Embassy of Malta’s website to find out if this applies.
If your country appears on this list, you will need to apply for a visa. You can easily apply from the United States, as long as you are living there on a permanent basis and you can prove your legal residence status.
You have to make sure you apply at the right Malta embassy and consulate. There are only 2 places in the United States that you can apply for your Malta visa
- The Permanent Mission of Malta in New York
- The Embassy of Malta in Washington DC – visa applications fall under the remit of Identity Malta, so you can check their website for more information
If you live in the Washington area, you can submit your application to the Embassy of Malta in Washington.
Types of Schengen Visas Offered at the Embassy of Malta in Washington DC
There are 3 types of visas offered by the Embassy of Malta in Washington DC.
- Airport Transit visa – this visa allows you to enter the international zone of Malta’s international airport if you are catching a connecting flight
- Short-stay “C” Schengen visa – allows you to stay in Malta for up to 90 days within a period of 180 days,
- National long-stay “D” visa – allows you to stay in Malta for over 90 days. If you are applying for this type of visa, you need to contact the Central Visa Unit for further information about how to go about applying
If you are applying for a Schengen (short-stay) visa, you can specify the number of times you can enter the country. This will depend on your reason for going to Malta, so if you feel that it would be beneficial to enter more than once, you have this option. Visas are issued as:
- Single entry – you can enter 1 time only
- Double entry – you can enter twice
- Multiple entry – you can enter as many times as you like within the dates of your visa
Your reason for going to Malta will also determine the category of visa you apply for. You must make sure you apply for the correct one, otherwise, your application may be rejected.
Visa categories include:
- Political, Scientific, Cultural, Sports or Religious events
- Medical reasons
- Family visits
- Training or Conferences
Schengen Visa Application Process at the Embassy of Malta in Washington DC
The Embassy of Malta in Washington DC takes around 7-15 days to process visa applications, however, it some cases it could take as many as 30-60 days. It is recommended that you do NOT apply any later than 15 days ahead. You can apply for your Malta visa up to 3 months ahead of your planned departure, so apply well in advance to allow for your application to be processed.
To help you apply for your Malta visa application, here are some steps to follow
Step 1: Complete your application
The application form for your Schengen visa can be found on the Embassy’s website. Go to their website and click on: “Visa advice for foreign nationals”:
Click on: “Schengen”:
You will be directed to Identity Malta’s website where you will find information on visas. Click on: “Visa application”:
On the next page, you’ll find the link for the application form. There are different languages available:
You’ll be able to download the form to complete and sign it:
Step 2: Make an appointment
You need to make an appointment at the embassy in Washington DC in order to submit your application. All you need to do is contact them by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also email them if you need any more information about the visa application process:
Step 3: Prepare your documents
You need to make sure you submit all the required documents, so you should take a look at the embassy’s website to find out what is needed for your application. If you submit an incomplete application, the embassy will reject it. You can also check Identity Malta’s website for information on documents required according to the purpose of your visit to Malta.
You must prepare original documents AND scanned PDFs of everything, so don’t forget to do this.
- A valid travel document (passport) must have 3 months remaining past trip and issued within the last 10 years, 2 blank pages
- 2 x recent passport-size photographs, in color, and taken against a white background, with face clearly visible
- Alien Registration / Green Card / USA Visa
- A valid return ticket or a certificate of a reserved and prepaid journey
- Cash in convertible currency, or traveler’s checks, or checkbooks for a foreign currency account, or credit cards, or any other means that guarantees funds in hard currency
- Invitation letter from Malta
- Proof of Lodging / Hotel Reservation
- Recent bank statement
- Certificate of employment
- A Schengen travel medical insurance policy covering emergency medical, hospitalization, and repatriation (including in case of death) for a minimum cover of €30,000. This insurance must be valid for the entire Schengen area and throughout the duration of the stay
- Proof of the existence of commercial-business relations, or a certificate of the local Chamber of Commerce on the existence of such business activities and/or documents proving the applicant’s status in the business firm
- A letter of acceptance from the educational institution indicating entitlement to admission and details on course being undertaken
- An invitation, entry tickets, enrollments or programs stating whenever possible the name of the host organization, the duration or any other appropriate documents indicating the purpose of the visit
- A letter from the medical organization certifying that the applicant is to undergo medical treatment in Malta
- Self-addressed pre-paid Envelope (FedEx, UPS or USPS) or $13.00 to cover courier services charges
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: Attend your appointment
On the day of your appointment, get to the embassy in Washington DC ahead of time. If you are late, you may have to reschedule your appointment. Remember to take your application along with the other supporting documents, and dress smartly.
The visa staff will examine your application and if they need any further information they may ask you additional questions. If they do this, simply answer them politely, honestly, and with confidence. Don’t give them any reason to doubt you.
- Is this your first time traveling to Malta?
- Are you married?
- How will you pay for this trip?
- Are you meeting anyone in Malta or the Schengen zone?
- What are you planning to do in Malta?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
You will also pay the fee for your visa. This fee is paid in cash only and it is not refunded even if your application is rejected.
Malta Visa Fee
|Type of visa||fee|
|Schengen Visa (0-6 Years)||Free|
|Schengen Visa (6-12 Years)||€35/$40|
|Schengen Visa (Family Members of EU and Swiss Nationals)||Free|
|Schengen Visa (for Countries with Visa Facilitation Agreements)||€35/$40|
If this is your first time applying for a Schengen visa, you will have to provide biometric data which involves a fingerprint scan and a digital photograph.
Step 5: Receive your visa
When the embassy has reached a decision about your visa application, your passport will be returned to you by mail.
If your visa has been approved, you will find it attached inside your passport. If it has been rejected you have the right to appeal within 15 days. You will be notified of the reason why your visa application has been rejected.
- No hotel booking
- Insufficient funds
- No invitation letter
- The wrong category of visa has been applied for
- Invalid passport
Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months past your trip and it must have been issued within the last 10 years AND have 2 blank pages. If it does not meet these requirements in any way, you must obtain a new one before you apply for your visa. You must apply for the correct category of visa and the one you choose will match the reason you are going to Malta. You must be able to afford your trip and the documents you provide, i.e. bank statements, must prove this. You must also provide ALL the required documents for your application such as a hotel booking and/or invitation letter.
Contact details for the Embassy of Malta in Washington DC
Address: 2017 Connecticut Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20008
Telephone: (202) 462-3611, 202) 462-3612
Fax: (202) 387-5470
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm
- Download and complete your application
- Make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
Once you have your visa, you can start to prepare for your exciting adventure in Malta!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.