How to Apply for Malta Schengen Visa from Australia in 5 Easy Steps – A Complete Guide
Malta is a beautiful Schengen country perfect for lazy days and exciting tours. Its beaches are some of the best in Europe and there are lots of interesting things to see and do including take a trip to the smaller island of Gozo. Pack your bags and head off into the sun for the time of your life! In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Malta visa in Australia, Malta visa appointment booking, processing time at the Malta visa application centre, flight itinerary for a Malta visa, hotel bookings for a Malta visa, Schengen travel insurance for a Malta visa application, and Malta visa application process in Australia.
Malta Schengen Visas
In 2018, there were 32,331 visa applications received by Malta embassies and consulates around the world. 6,611 of these were rejected. The Consulate General of Sydney received 28 applications and issued all of them. The consulate in Melbourne received 23 applications and issued 22 and the office in Canberra received 3 and issued all of them.
Applying for a Schengen Visa from Australia
If you were born in Australia, you do not need to apply for a visa to be able to go to Malta. However, if you were born in another country, but you are currently living in Australia permanently, you do need to apply for a Malta visa. You can follow this link to find out if you need to apply for a visa:
If you are from a country whose nationals need a visa, you can do this easily from Australia as long as you can prove that you are living in Australia legally. If you hold a B1 or B2 visa, you must return to the country of your residence to apply from there.
You can submit your application to one of the following visa offices, but you must reside within the jurisdiction of each office:
- The High Commission of Malta in Canberra – Australia
- The Consulate General of Malta in Sydney – New South Wales
- The Consulate General of Malta in Melbourne – Victoria
You must apply through the correct Malta visa office.
Although you will hand your application into one of the above visa offices, it is Identity Malta who will make the final decision about whether to grant your visa or not.
Types of Schengen visas offered at the visa offices in Australia
Depending on why you are going to Malta and the duration of your trip, you can apply for 1 of 3 types of visa:
- Schengen visa – type C if you are travelling for tourism, business, visiting family or friends for up to 90 days in a 180-day period
- Airport Transit visa – type A is required when you are connecting through a Schengen country airport and not leaving the airport
- National visa – type D for trips over 90 days for business, conference, study or employment etc
How Can I Apply for a Schengen Visa from Australia?
In most cases, applications are reviewed within 7 to 15 days, although it could take up to 60 days. You should submit your application no later than 15 days prior to your trip, so there is enough time for your application to be processed. You may apply up to 90 days ahead and the earlier you can do this, the better.
Here are 5 easy steps to follow to help you apply for your visa:
Step 1: How to complete your application?
Go to Identity Malta’s website and click on: “Units”:
On the next page, click on: “Central Visa Unit”:
Then, scroll down until you see “Application Forms” and you can choose one to download. Even though it states different languages, you can still complete the forms in English of you need to:
From there, you can download the form to complete it
Step 2: How to make an appointment?
Making appointments with the embassy or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below:
To make an appointment at any of the above visa offices, all you need to do is call them during their business hours:
- The High Commission of Malta in Canberra – +61 (02) 6290 1724 or +61 (02) 6290 1573
- The Consulate General of Malta in Sydney – +61 (02) 9262 9500
- The Consulate General of Malta in Melbourne – +61 (03) 9670 8427
Monday to Friday 9.00 am- 1.00 pm and 2.00 pm – 4.00 pm
Step 3: Prepare your documents
If you go to Identity Malta’s website, you’ll find a comprehensive list of all documents that are required for a visa application. It’s worth taking the time to get to know what the requirements are before you start to prepare anything.
You should also prepare photocopies as well as providing the original documents, so don’t forget to do that too!
- A passport or official travel document issued within the last 10 years valid for at least three months. Please make sure your passport has at least 2 double spare pages
- Visa application form
- Passport photograph
- Proof of travel insurance – covering the cost of repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospital treatment. The insurance must be valid throughout the Schengen Member States and should cover the entire period of the person’s stay. The minimum coverage is €30,000
- Return flight tickets or a certificate of a reserved and prepaid journey
- including confirmation of the booking of an organised trip including a detailed itinerary
- Proof of financial means such as traveller’s cheques or credit cards etc
- Proof of purpose of visit – tour itinerary or work contract etc
- Proof of residence
- Proof of sponsorship or a declaration of proof and/or an invitation letter from the host in Malta
- Marriage certificate/birth certificate
- Proof of accommodation such as a hotel reservation
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: A guide to your visa appointment
On the day of your visa appointment, arrive at the visa office early, check that you have all the necessary paperwork and dress smartly.
The visa officer may question you about your application if more information is required or clarification about the information you have given is needed. All you need to do is answer the questions honestly and politely
- Why do you wish to go to Malta now?
- Do you have family in Malta?
- Are you going to work in Malta?
- What are you going to study there?
- How will you pay for this trip?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
|Type of visa||Fee|
|Schengen visa – up to 90 days||102 AUD/€60|
|National visa – over 90 days||The visa office will advise the cost|
|Child between 6-12 years of age||58 AUD/€35|
|Children under the age of six||Free|
You can usually pay the fee by cash or money order, but you should check with the visa office you are dealing with as to which payment methods are available. The fee is non-refundable even if your visa application is refused.
If this is your first time applying for a Schengen visa, you will have to provide biometric data which is a photograph and a scan of your fingerprints.
Step 5: Receive your visa
Once a decision about your visa application has been reached your passport will be returned to you by post or you may be able to collect it from the visa office in person. You should check with the relevant office which method is available to you.
The decision will be either:
- Approved – your visa will be inside your passport
- Rejected – this would have been for a specific reason and you can appeal the decision
- No declaration of proof – you must provide this document with the relevant information if you are being invited to Malta by a person or a company. See Identity Malta’s website for details
- Invalid travel insurance – if your travel insurance is invalid in any way (see above requirements), this will affect the outcome of your application, so make sure you get the right cover
- No proof of purpose of visit – you must state why you want to go to Malta. For tourism, you could provide a tour itinerary. For employment, you could provide a work contract. Whatever your reason you must provide evidence
- Insufficient means of subsistence – you must be able to afford your trip and you must provide documents such as credit cards to prove you can pay for yourself
Ways to contact the High Commission of Malta in Canberra
Address: 38 Culgoa Circuit, O’Malley, ACT 2006, Australia
Telephone: +61 (02) 6290 1724/+61 (02) 6290 1573
Fax: +61 (02) 6290 2453
Hours: Mondays to Fridays from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm
Ways to contact the Consulate General of Malta in Sydney
Address: Suite 10.04, Level 10, 31 Market Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: +61 (02) 9262 9500
Fax: +61 (02) 9264 4722
Hours: Monday to Friday 9.00 am- 1.00 pm and 2.00 pm – 4.00 pm
Ways to contact the Consulate General of Malta in Melbourne
Address: Suite 613, 6th Floor, 343 Little Collins Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Telephone: +61 (03) 9670 8427
Fax: +61 (03) 9670 9451
Hours: Mondays to Fridays from 9.00 am to 1.00 pm and 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm
To apply for a Schengen visa for Malta in Australia, follow these simple steps:
- Complete your application
- Make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
At the end of these steps, you should have your visa for your trip, so you can relax and look forward to it!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.