Luxembourg Embassy Washington DC – 4 Easy Steps to Apply for Luxembourg Schengen Visa
The city of Luxembourg is great for exploring with its small lanes – around every corner, you’ll spy something interesting. Head to the charming town of Vianden with its gorgeous chateau or get out into the countryside of this Schengen country, to Remich and follow the Route du Vin – a wonderful experience through the wine region in the Moselle Valley. In this article learn more about how to apply for Luxembourg visa at the Luxembourg embassy in Washington, DC, Luxembourg visa appointment booking, Processing time at the Luxembourg visa application center, flight itinerary for Luxembourg visa, hotel bookings for Luxembourg visa, Schengen travel insurance for Luxembourg visa application, and Luxembourg Visa Application Process at the Washington DC consulate.
Luxembourg Schengen Visa
In 2017, 10,004 Luxembourg Schengen visa applications were received worldwide. Of these, 370 (3.70%) were rejected. The Embassy of Luxembourg in Washington received 61 applications and there were no rejected applications.
Applying for Luxembourg Schengen Visa from the United States
If you are a US citizen and are planning on going to Luxembourg, you do not need to apply for a visa to be able to enter and stay in the country. However, if you are not a US citizen, but you live in the US permanently, you do need a visa.
You have to make sure you apply at the right Luxembourg embassy and consulate. If you live in the District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia you may apply for your Luxembourg visa at the Embassy of Luxembourg in Washington.
Types of Schengen Visas Offered at the Embassy of Luxembourg in Washington DC
There are 2 types of visas for Luxembourg and the one you need to apply for will depend on how long you wish to go there for and the reason for your stay:
- Schengen short-stay visa – for tourism, business, and visiting family or friends, etc., up to 90 days
- National visa – for study, employment, or residence, etc., for stays exceeding 90 days. Before submitting an application for this type of visa, you must apply for a Temporary Authorization To Stay at the Immigration Directorate of the Luxembourg Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs. For further information check the directorate’s website
When you apply for your visa, you can specify the number of times you may be permitted to enter Luxembourg. You can choose:
- Single entry (1 time)
- Double entry (2 times)
- Multiple entries (unlimited times)
Schengen Visa Application Process at the Embassy of Luxembourg in Washington DC
Visa applications are processed within 15 days, but certain cases could take as many as 30-60 days. You can submit your application up to 90 days ahead, so apply well in advance. Applications received less than 15 days before your trip may not be processed in time, so don’t leave it too late.
Here are a few steps to help you apply for your Luxembourg visa:
Step 1: Make an appointment
The embassy in Washington requires you to send an email summarizing the purpose of your trip. You must attach the following documents (PDF or JPEG) at least 15 days before your departure date:
- Copy of the two main pages of your national passport
- Copy of your valid US visa or valid US Lawful Permanent Resident Card
The embassy will get back to you within 2 business days with information about the procedure to be followed and an appointment time for you to hand over your documents to their office.
Step 2: Prepare your documents
You need to make sure you provide all the necessary documents for your visa application. You can take a look at the website of the Government of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg for information about what documents you need before you start. If you submit an application with missing documents, it could lead to a rejected application.
In addition, you need to provide original documents as well as photocopies of everything, so don’t forget to do that.
- A completed and signed Schengen visa application
- 2 recent and identical identity photos
- A valid passport or a travel document accepted in the Schengen area, which is valid for at least another 3-6 months after the expiry date of the requested visa, issued within the last 10 years and with 2 blank pages
- A legalized formal obligation from the reference person in Luxembourg to prove that you are financially supported by a Luxembourg resident
- An official letter of invitation from a business or from an individual
- A hotel reservation
- A return airline ticket
- Proof of sufficient means of subsistence such as bank account statements, cash, credit cards, etc
- Proof of legal residence in the usual country of residence
- Schengen Travel Health insurance covering the travel period
- A valid US resident alien card or a valid US visa. I-20 for students or I-66 for exchange visitors or an Advance Parole document of a valid employment card
- Written notarized consent of a parent or guardian (minors)
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 3: Attend your appointment
When you go to the embassy to hand over your documents, make sure you are not late. This could result in your appointment being rescheduled and this could delay your travel plans. Remember to take all your documents because an incomplete application will not be processed and/or it will be rejected. Also, remember to dress smartly to make a good impression when you are in front of the visa officer.
If the visa officer needs any more information from you, they may ask you additional questions. If this happens, remain calm and politely answer their questions. Make sure you give honest answers.
- Have you ever traveled to a Schengen country before?
- Are you meeting anyone in Luxembourg?
- Will you be seeking employment in Luxembourg?
- What did you say you do in the US?
- What will you do if your visa is refused?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
You will also pay the relevant fee for your visa. The fee is not refunded even if your visa application is rejected.
|Type of Visa||Fee|
|Long-stay (National visa)||$70|
|Citizens of Russia, Moldova, Ukraine, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Albania and FYROM||$50|
|Children between 6 and 12 years||$50|
Children under six years
School pupils, students, postgraduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake trips for the purpose of study or education
Researchers from third countries traveling within the community for the purpose of carrying out scientific research
Representatives of non-profit organizations aged 25 years or less participating in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organized by non-profit organizations
Family members of EU/EEA nationals
If you have never applied for a Schengen visa before, you will also provide the embassy with a scan of your fingerprints. If you have applied previously, your data can be reused as long as it is within 5 years.
Step 4: Receive your visa
Once a decision has been reached about your visa application, the embassy will notify you and you can collect your passport from their office. You may have the option of having your passport returned to you by mail, but you will need to ask the embassy whether they offer this service.
Visa application decisions:
- Approved – your visa will be inside your passport
- Rejected – your application has been rejected for a reason. You have the right to appeal within 3 months
- Invalid passport – if your passport is invalid in any way (see above requirements) you must obtain a new one before applying for your visa
- Invitation letter not included – if you are being invited to Luxembourg by a family member or an organization, you must provide an invitation letter
- You have applied at the wrong visa office – each of the visa offices as its own jurisdiction, so you should apply at the correct office depending on where you live
- Proof of residence missing – you must prove that you have a legal right to remain in the US, so you must provide documents, such as a driver’s license and/or utility bill
Contact details for the Embassy of Luxembourg in Washington DC
Address: 2200 Massachusetts Avenue N.W., Washington, D.C. 20008
Telephone: (202) 265-4171
Fax: (202) 328-8270
Please note, telephone calls are not accepted. You must send inquiries by email only
Hours: Monday to Friday, 10.00 am – 3.30 pm
In order to apply for your Luxembourg visa, all you need to do is:
- Make an appointment by sending an initial email to the embassy
- Prepare your documents (please note, the embassy will tell you what the requirements are, but you can use the above list to prepare)
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
Once you have your visa, you can start packing for your trip to Luxembourg!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.