Luxembourg Consulate San Francisco – 5 Easy Steps to Apply for Luxembourg Schengen Visa
Luxembourg is one of Europe’s most popular destinations. There are small towns and bigger cities brimming with interesting things to see in this beautiful Schengen country. Chateaus and castles, Gothic cathedrals and much more. Vianden is a popular haunt with tourists for its medieval buildings and the capital’s old quarter is a joy to see. Out in the country, there is beauty at every turn – picturesque hills and mountains are great for outdoor activities like hiking and biking. In this article learn more about how to apply for Luxembourg visa at the Luxembourg consulate in San Francisco, California, Luxembourg visa appointment booking, Processing time at the Luxembourg visa application center, flight itinerary for Luxembourg visa, hotel bookings for Luxembourg visa, Schengen travel insurance for Luxembourg visa application, and Luxembourg Visa Application Process at the San Francisco consulate.
Luxembourg Schengen Visa
In 2017, 10,004 Luxembourg Schengen visa applications were received worldwide. Of these, 3.70% were rejected. The Consulate General of Luxembourg in San Francisco, SFO received 202 applications and issued 100% of them.
Applying for Luxembourg Schengen Visa from the United States
There are many nationalities that do not require a visa. For further details click here. Generally, if you are a US citizen and you are planning on going to Luxembourg, you do NOT need a visa. However, if you were born in a different country, but you are legally resident in the US and live there on a permanent basis, you DO need a visa to go to Luxembourg.
You have to make sure you apply at the right Luxembourg embassy and consulate. If you live in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, or Washington you can apply for your Luxembourg visa from the Consulate General of Luxembourg in San Francisco.
Types of Schengen Visas Offered at the Consulate General of Luxembourg in San Francisco, SFO
The Consulate General of Luxembourg in San Francisco offers 2 types of visas:
- Schengen short-stay visa (C) – for tourism, business, and visiting family or friends etc., up to a maximum of 90 days
- National visa (D) – for study, employment, or residence etc., for stays exceeding 90 days. Applications for this type of visa will only be accepted by the consulate once you have received approval of a residence permit from the immigration service in Luxembourg. You can read about residence permits on the consulate’s website
When you apply for your visa, you can specify the number of times you may be permitted to enter Luxembourg. You can opt for single entry (1 time), double entry (2 times), multiple entries (unlimited times).
Schengen Visa Application Process at the Consulate General of Luxembourg in San Francisco
The consulate processes visa applications within 2 weeks, but it could take longer depending on the type of visa you are applying for and your nationality. You can apply up to 3 months ahead of your trip, so don’t leave it too late. If your application is submitted too close to your departure date, it may not be processed in time.
To help you apply for your Luxembourg visa, here are a few steps to follow:
Step 1: Make an appointment
The consulate in San Francisco will not take your application unless you have made a prior appointment. In order to make an appointment, all you need to do is email the consulate at: firstname.lastname@example.org. You must include the following information:
- Last name
- First name
- City and state of residence
- Purpose of travel
- Detailed itinerary
- Were granted a Schengen visa after May 2014? Yes or no?
- If you were granted a Schengen visa also include your passport number, date of birth and (if possible) a photo of your most current Schengen Visa
Once the consulate receives your email, they will give you an appointment time and they will also tell you the rest of the procedure for applying for your Luxembourg visa through their office.
Step 2: Prepare your documents
This step is important and you must ensure that you provide the consulate everything they require when submitting your visa application. If there is anything missing, you may end up with a rejected application.
Plus, you need to provide original documents as well as photocopies of everything, so don’t forget to do that.
- A passport with 3-6 months remaining after your trip, 2 blank pages, and issued within the last 10 years
- One visa application form – the consulate will provide you with the correct application form when they respond to your initial email
- 1 passport size photograph
- An invitation letter from your host in Luxembourg. I.e. family or friend/company
- Evidence of being part of a tour group (if applicable)
- Proof of financial means to cover the cost of your trip such as bank statements
- A letter from your employer in the USA
- Proof of accommodation such as hotel reservations, vacation rental, stay with a family member or friend
- Onward or return airline ticket including full itinerary
- A valid US resident alien card or a valid US visa. I-20 for students or I-66 for exchange visitors or an Advance Parole document of a valid employment card
- Written notarized consent of a parent or guardian (minors)
- Proof of Schengen travel health/accident insurance to cover you for a minimum of $50,000 for repatriation, urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospital treatment
- Pre-paid envelope (FedEx only) for mailing passports
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 3: Attend your appointment
On the day you go to the consulate to hand over your visa application, arrive early. If you are late, you will have to make a new appointment and this could delay things for you. Remember to take ALL the required documents, and don’t attend your appointment wearing t-shirt and shorts.
If the consulate requests any further documents from you, you must provide these. Plus, they may question you further about your application. If they do this, comply with their request and give honest answers.
- Is this your first time traveling to a Schengen country?
- How do we know if you will return to the US before the expiry date of the visa?
- Do you know anyone in Luxembourg?
- Are you married?
- Has your employer approved your leave?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
You will also pay the relevant fee for your visa. The fee can be paid in cash or money order only. This fee is non-refundable even if your visa application is rejected.
Luxembourg Visa Fee
|Type of Visa||Fee|
|Residency long-stay (National visa)||$70|
|Citizens of Russia, Moldova, Ukraine, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Albania and FYROM||$50|
|Children between 6 and 12 years||$50|
Children under six years
School pupils, students, postgraduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake trips for the purpose of study or education
Researchers from third countries traveling within the community for the purpose of carrying out scientific research
Representatives of non-profit organisations aged 25 years or less participating in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organised by non-profit organisations
Family members of EU/EEA nationals
If you have never applied for a Schengen visa before, you will also provide the consulate with a scan of your fingerprints. This is stored in the Visa Information System (VIS) and used by immigration authorities.
Step 4: Receive your visa
Once a decision has been reached about your visa application, the consulate will contact you and you can arrange to collect your passport from their office or you may be able to have it returned by mail. The consulate will advise you what options are open to you.
There will be 1 of 2 outcomes:
- Approved – your visa will be inside your passport
- Rejected – your application has raised some doubts and the consulate has rejected it for a reason
Common rejection reasons include:
- Parental consent not notarized – if you need to provide a consent form, your signature must be notarized by a qualified person. This applies to ANY document that requires notarization
- Proof of funds not included – you must be able to prove that you can afford your trip, so you must provide documents such as bank statements
- You have applied for the wrong type of visa – you must apply for the correct type of visa. If your trip is for a maximum of 90 days, then you need a Schengen visa. If it is over 90 days, you need a National visa
- Damaged passport – if your passport is damaged in any way, you must obtain a new one before applying for your visa
Contact details for the Consulate General of Luxembourg in San Francisco, SFO
Address: 1 Sansome Street, Suite 830, San Francisco, CA 94104
Telephone: (415) 788-0816
Fax: (415) 788-0985
Please note, telephone calls are not accepted. You must send inquiries by email only
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9.30 am – 5.00 pm
In order to apply for your Luxembourg visa, all you need to do is:
- Make an appointment by sending an initial email to the consulate
- Prepare your documents (please note, the consulate will advise you what the requirements are, but you can use the above list to start you off)
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
By the end of step 4, you’ll hopefully have your visa in your hand, so you can begin the countdown to your wonderful trip to Luxembourg!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.
How To Apply for Luxembourg Schengen Visa at Luxembourg Consulate in NYC, New York