How to Apply for Luxembourg Schengen Visa from Australia in 5 Easy Steps – A Complete Guide
Of all the 26 Schengen countries, Luxembourg is a fabulous destination. There are lots of things to see like the Grand Ducal Palace. Or you might like to indulge in traditional food like smoked pork neck. Whatever you do in Luxembourg, it won’t be the last time you visit! In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Luxembourg visa at the Royal Belgian Embassy in Canberra, Australia, Luxembourg visa appointment booking, processing time at the Luxembourg visa application centre, flight itinerary for Luxembourg visa, hotel bookings for a Luxembourg visa, Schengen travel insurance for a Luxembourg visa application, and Luxembourg visa application process at the Canberra embassy.
Applying for a Schengen Visa from Australia
If you are from Australia you do NOT need a visa. However, if you are living in Australia, but you were not born there, you DO need to apply for a visa for Luxembourg. If you can prove that you have a legal right to stay, you can apply from within Australia. If you can’t do this, you need to apply from your home country.
Luxembourg is represented by Belgium in Australia, so you have to submit your visa application to The Royal Belgian Embassy in Canberra.
Types of Schengen visas offered at The Belgian Embassy in Canberra
There are different types of visas available and the one you apply for will depend on the reason for going to Luxembourg and the duration of your trip. You may apply for either:
- Schengen visa – type C if you are travelling for tourism, business, visiting family or friends for up to 90 days in a 180-day period
- Airport Transit visa – type A is required when you are connecting through a Schengen country airport and not leaving the airport
- National visa – type D for trips over 90 days for business, conference, study or employment. Other reasons for a long-stay visa could be as an exchange student, a researcher, for an internship or family reunion etc. See the embassy’s website for more information
How Can I Apply for a Schengen Visa from the Royal Belgian Embassy in Canberra?
You must apply at least 60 days before you are due to leave for Luxembourg. Applications are processed in 14 days or more but don’t leave it until the last minute to apply. You can submit your application as many as 90 days before your trip. Please be aware, there is no rush processing available.
Here are 5 easy steps to follow to help you apply for your visa:
Step 1: How to complete your application?
Go to the embassy’s website and click on: “Visa for Belgium”:
On the next page, click on: “Schengen Visa – Short-stay”:
Scroll down to “Other Documentation” and you’ll see the link for the application form”
You can then save it to your computer. Make sure you complete it in full and don’t forget to sign it.
Step 2: How to make an appointment?
There is no appointment booking system at The Royal Belgian Embassy in Canberra. Instead, you will follow these steps:
- Send your application including your passport and payment to the Embassy (see the address below)
- After verification of your application, they will contact you to request further documents and/or that you phone them to make an appointment for your personal appearance for the biometric data collection at the Embassy in Canberra.
Step 3: Prepare your documents
On the embassy’s website, there is a list of documents that you need for your visa application together with a checklist to help you make sure you have everything before your appointment.
You should also prepare photocopies as well as providing the original documents, so don’t forget to do that too!
- A passport or official travel document issued within the last 10 years valid for at least three months. Please make sure your passport has at least 2 double spare pages
- Visa application form
- Passport photograph
- Proof of travel insurance – covering the cost of repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical treatment and/or urgent hospitalisation or costs incurred in the event of your death while in the Schengen area. The insurance must be valid throughout all of the Schengen countries and must cover the whole duration of your stay. The minimum cover of the insurance is EUR 30,000 (about AUD 60.000)
- Reservation of return or round trip flight tickets including confirmation of the booking of an organised trip including a detailed itinerary
- Proof of financial means such as the last 3 bank statements
- Proof of residence
- Proof of visa status – VEVO (Visa Entitlement Verification Online)
- Proof of sponsorship and/or private accommodation (such as invitation from host)
- If married or in a partnership, provide a marriage certificate or registered partnership agreement
- A document from the establishment providing the accommodation or any other appropriate document indicating the accommodation envisaged such as a hotel reservation
- For business, conference, cultural, religious or political event – an invitation letter including address and contacts of the inviting entity etc
- Documents proving your employment status in the company (for example, contract, proof of social security contributions
- Certificate from a medical doctor and/or a medical institution advising any medical treatment etc
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: A guide to your visa appointment
If you have to attend an interview remember the following things:
- Arrive early – if you are late, you will have to go back another day
- Remember all the required documents or if the embassy request any further documents – provide what is asked for to prevent your application from being rejected
- Don’t turn up dressed too casually – it really helps to dress smartly.
You may be asked questions about your application. If this happens, simply answer them truthfully.
- How much do you earn?
- What do you know about Luxembourg?
- Are you meeting anyone in Luxembourg?
- What are your plans when you return to Australia?
- How many times have you been abroad?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
|Type of visa||Fee|
|Schengen visa – up to 90 days||102 AUD/€60|
|National visa – over 90 days||306 AUD/€190|
|Child between 6-12 years of age||58 AUD/€35|
|Children under the age of six||Free|
You can pay the fee by credit or debit card, cash, money order or bank draft payable to the Royal Belgian Embassy. Personal cheques are not accepted. The fee is non-refundable even if your visa application is refused.
If this is your first time applying for a Schengen visa, you will have to provide biometric data which is a photograph and a scan of your fingerprints.
Step 5: Receive your visa
Once your application has been processed and a decision has been reached the embassy will return your passport to you via mail. You need to provide a return envelope which is large enough to contain all documents, otherwise, you will be charged an additional postage fee of AUD 7.00.
The decision will be either:
- Approved – your visa will be inside your passport
- Rejected – this would have been for a specific reason and you can appeal the decision
- Passport is dated 1 month past your trip – this is unacceptable. The passport must be valid for 3 months after your return home
- No proof of residence in Australia – you must prove that you are legally entitled to live in Australia and you can do this by providing documents such as your driver’s licence or a utility bill
- Lack of funds – you must be able to afford your trip and you must provide documents such as bank statements so the embassy can see that you can do so
- Travel insurance only covers €20,000 – the travel insurance must provide cover for at least €30,000. Otherwise, it is unacceptable
Ways to contact The Royal Belgian Embassy in Canberra:
Address: 19, Arkana Street Yarralumla, ACT 2600 Canberra, Australia
Tel: +61 2 627 325 01
Tel: +61 2 627 325 02
Tel: +61 408 862 753 – Emergency number outside opening hours
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, the visa section does not answer questions by telephone.
Opening hours: Monday – Thursday 09.00 -12.30 and 13.00 – 16.00; Friday 09.00 – 12.30 and 13.00 – 15.00
To apply for a Schengen visa for Luxembourg in Australia, follow these simple steps:
- Complete your application
- Send your application and wait for the embassy to contact you to make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
Then, all you need to do is look forward to your exciting trip!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.