How to Apply for Luxembourg Schengen Visa from Canada in 5 Easy Steps – A Complete Guide
An impressive Schengen country, Luxembourg is one of the smallest countries in Europe, but it’s big on attractions! Historic buildings – set in beautiful countryside – are great to visit and learn about its past! Luxembourg’s city streets are easy to cycle, so you can see things, eat and drink lots, and simply explore this gorgeous destination! In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Luxembourg visa at the Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal, Canada, Luxembourg visa appointment booking, processing time at the Luxembourg visa application center, flight itinerary for a Luxembourg visa, hotel bookings for a Luxembourg visa, Schengen travel insurance for Luxembourg visa application, and Luxembourg visa application process at the Montreal consulate.
Luxembourg Schengen Visa
In 2018, there were 10,876 Luxembourg Schengen visa applications received by embassies and consulates worldwide. 401 were rejected. There was no data regarding the number of applications dealt with by the Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal.
Applying for a Schengen Visa from Canada
There are rules that apply for different nationalities applying for a Luxembourg visa:
- Canadian citizens do NOT need a visa for Luxembourg as long as the trip is no more than 90 days
- Non-Canadian citizens DO need a visa for Luxembourg. Therefore, if you were born in India but are now living in Canada permanently, you can still apply for your visa. If, on the other hand, you are in Canada on a temporary basis, i.e. on holiday, you cannot apply from Canada. You must get your Luxembourg visa in your home country
Where to apply for a Luxembourg Schengen visa
Unfortunately, Luxembourg is not represented in Canada. Instead, you must apply at the Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal who provides exclusively the consular services in Canada, the Bermuda Islands and the territorial community of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon. The Embassy of Belgium in Ottawa does not deal with visa applications. Another option is to apply at the Embassy of Luxembourg in Washington, USA
Types of Schengen visas offered by the Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal
There are 2 types of visas you may apply for and the one you choose will depend on the reason and duration of your trip:
- Short-stay visas for tourism, business, or visiting family or friends and airport transit for up to 90 days
- Long-stay visas for over 90 days for employment, study, family reasons, residence etc
How to Apply for a Luxembourg Schengen Visa from the Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal
You must apply for your visa for Luxembourg in plenty of time. The consulate processes applications in 15 days, but it could take as many as 60 days. Submit your application at least 15 days and no earlier than 90 days prior to your departure date! The earlier the better it will be!
Here are 5 easy steps to follow to help you apply for your visa:
Step 1: Complete your application form
The first step is to complete your visa application form. Go to the consulate’s website and click on: “Visa for Belgium”:
On the next screen, click on: “Forms”:
Then, you’ll see the links for the application form. You can download it for completion:
Step 2: Make an appointment
Making appointments with the embassy, consulate or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, the visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below.
- Go the visa page again and click on the link under: “Online appointment scheduling system (short-stay visas)”
- Complete the information requested
- Continue through the screens and you will be able to make an appointment
Step 3: Prepare your documents
It’s a good idea to check the consulate’s website for the documents that are required to be submitted along with your visa application. If you don’t provide all that is required, your application may be rejected which is the last thing you want!
You should also prepare photocopies as well as providing the original documents, so don’t forget to do that too!
- A completed and signed application form (May be completed in English, French, Dutch or German)
- Photograph which meets certain specifications
- Passport or other travel document valid for at least 3 months from the date you intend to leave the Schengen area. It must also contain at least 2 blank pages and have been issued less than 10 years ago
- Residence permit or Canadia visa (multiple entry) valid for at least 3 months after departing the Schengen area
- Travel itinerary/airline reservation
- Proof of the purpose of your journey – an itinerary, proof of a reservation of an organized trip
- Proof of accommodation such as a letter of invitation from the person hosting you or hotel or guesthouse reservation
- Proof of sufficient financial means
- Proof of your intention to leave the Schengen territory such as confirmation of employment, professional situation, receipt of regular income, ownership of real estate, family situation, etc
- Schengen Travel insurance covering any costs of repatriation for medical reasons, emergency medical care and/or emergency hospital care or death during your trip. This insurance must be valid for the whole of this territory and the whole of the stay. The minimum cover is €30,000
- Enrolment details in university including confirmation of course
- Proof of participation in any type of event with invitation letter
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: Attend your appointment
On the day of your appointment:
- Arrive early – if you are late and you miss your appointment it could delay your travel plans
- Remember to take all of the documents you prepared – you don’t want a rejected application because you failed to provide all that was required
- Dress smartly – this helps to prove you are serious about wanting to obtain a visa, so don’t turn up in shorts!
Typical questions could be:
- Are you traveling alone to Luxembourg or the EU?
- What is your job?
- Who will you be meeting in Luxembourg?
- Why are you going on this date?
- Who will pay for this trip?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
You’ll also pay the fee for your visa. You will pay this in Canadian dollars by money order or bank draft, payable to the Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal or cash, credit card or debit card payment at the counter. Personal cheques or international cheques are NOT accepted. This fee is non-refundable, even if your application is rejected.
|Type of visa||Fee|
|Schengen visa – up to 90 days||90 CAD/€60|
|Long-stay visa – over 90 days||See the consulate’s website|
|Child between 6-12 years of age||52 CAD/€35|
|Children under the age of six||Free|
If this is your first time applying for a visa, you will have to provide a scan of your fingerprints and a photograph. This biometric data will be used for future applications and by the immigration authorities when you travel.
Step 5: Receive your visa
You can track the progress of your visa application in the following ways:
- Contact the consulate
- If your application has been referred to the Aliens Office for a decision, go to www.dofi.fgov.be. You’ll need your reference number and the location of the consulate. You can also ring or email the call centre at the Aliens Office (+ 32 2 793 80 00 or (email@example.com)
When a decision has been made, your passport will be returned to your home address, so you will need to provide a prepaid and self-addressed return Xpresspost envelope or FedEx, UPS, Purolator waybill.
The decision will be either:
- Approved – your visa will be inside your passport
- Rejected – this would have been for a specific reason and you can appeal the decision
- Invalid passport – if your passport is not valid for 3 months after you return to Canada, doesn’t have 2 free pages, wasn’t issued in the last 10 years, you must obtain a new one before applying for your visa
- Proof of residence not provided – you must provide proof that you are legally allowed to reside in Canada
- Enrolment details of a course not included – if you are traveling to Luxembourg for study reasons, you must provide proof of enrolment
- Purpose of journey not provided – the consulate needs to be satisfied with the reason why you are traveling to Luxembourg, so you need to provide documentation that shows this (See above)
Contact details of the Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal
Address: 1000, rue Sherbrooke Ouest – Suite 1400, H3A 3G4 Montreal, QC
Tel: +1 514 849 73 94
Fax: +1 514 844 31 70
Hours: Mon – Fri 08.00 – 13.00; By phone until 16.30
To apply for a Schengen visa for Luxembourg at the consulate in Montreal, follow these simple steps:
- Complete your application online or download it
- Make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.