How to Apply for Latvia Schengen Visa from Australia in 5 easy Steps – A Complete Guide
There are 26 Schengen countries and Latvia is an exciting destination for its food, its sights and its people. It may not be at the top of your wishlist of places to travel to in Europe, but it should be. Its capital Riga is a World Heritage Site and Latvia is also home to one of the most magnificent waterfalls in the world. In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Latvia visa from Australia. Latvia visa appointment booking, processing time at the Latvia visa application centre, flight itinerary for a Latvia visa, hotel bookings for a Latvia visa, Schengen travel insurance for a Latvia visa application, and Latvia visa application process in Australia.
Latvia Schengen Visas
In 2018, 161,709 Schengen visa applications for Latvia were received by visa offices around the world. 3,374 of these applications were not issued. There was no data for how many applications were dealt with in Australia.
Applying for a Schengen Visa from Australia
If you are a non-Australian citizen, but you are currently living in Australia permanently, you will need to apply for a visa if you want to go to Latvia. You can do this from Australia, as long as you can provide evidence that you live in the country legally.
Latvia is represented by Austria in Australia, so you may submit your application to VFS Global who has offices in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. You may hand in your application to whichever office is convenient for you.
VFS does not decide whether to grant your visa. This is the responsibility of the Austrian Embassy in Canberra.
Types of Schengen visas offered at VFS Global/the Austrian Embassy in Canberra
There are 3 types of visa and the one you will apply for will be determined by the reason you are travelling to Latvia and the duration of your trip.
- Schengen visa – for tourism, business, visiting family or friends for up to 90 days in a 180-day period
- Airport Transit visa – if you are catching a second flight in a Latvian airport and not leaving the airport
- National visa – for tourism, business trip, conference, study, employment, family reasons for over 90 days
How Can I Apply for a Schengen Visa from VFS Global in Australia?
You must apply at least 30 days before your departure date. Applications are processed within 15 days, but it may take longer due to larger volumes of applications being received. You can apply up to 3 months before your trip, so the sooner, the better!
Here are 5 easy steps to follow to help you apply for your visa:
Step 1: How to complete your application?
Go to VFS Global’s website and click on “Visa Types” and then choose the visa you are applying for:
Then click on “Documents Required”:
You’ll see the document and Schengen visa form which you can download from there to complete and sign.
Step 2: How to make an appointment?
Making appointments with the embassy, consulate or visa application centre is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, the visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below.
- Go to VFS Global’s website and click on “Schedule an appointment”
- Click on the link to book an appointment
- Register as a new user
- Log in and make an appointment on a day that’s convenient for you
Step 3: Prepare your documents
If you search VFS Global’s website, you will find a list of requirements, so check that out before you start to prepare your documents. Get to grips with what is needed to help prevent your application from being rejected.
You should also prepare photocopies as well as providing the original documents, so don’t forget to do that too!
- Completed visa application form
- Appointment confirmation letter for submission of documents. This needs to be done online at www.vfsglobal.com/austria/australia
- Passport photographs not older than 6 months
- Passport – must be valid for at least three months after the date of departure from the Schengen zone, at least two empty pages and issued no more than 10 years ago
- Proof of visa status in Australia – VEVO verification email sent directly from the Australian Department of Home Affairs’ website to firstname.lastname@example.org on the day you submit your application
- Reservation of return or round trip flight tickets
- Proof of travel insurance with a minimum cover of EUR 30,000 in the event of urgent medical treatment, hospitalisation, repatriation for medical reasons, repatriation of mortal remains and funeral expenses. The insurance must be valid throughout all Schengen countries and for the entire duration of your stay
- Proof of financial means – bank statements for the last three months showing sufficient funds to cover stay in the Schengen area
- Proof of accommodation – document from the establishment providing the accommodation or any other appropriate document indicating the accommodation envisaged such as a hotel reservation. If staying with a private host: original signed letter of invitation stating period of stay, purpose of stay and relationship to visa applicant, copy of host’s passport and proof of residency
- Certified copy of marriage certificate/certificate of registered relationship and certified copy of spouse’s passport
- Proof of residence in Australia (lease/rental agreement, council rate notice or land purchase document
- For employees: documents proving your employment status in the company (e.g. contract, pay slips, letter from employer)
- If self-employed: certified copy of business registration
- For students: letter from university confirming enrolment, the payment of fees or/and any scholarships as well as the purpose and duration of stay
- Employment contract/work permit
- Letter of consent and parent’s ID (for minors)
- Express Post A4 500g prepaid self-addressed envelope with signature on delivery (for passport return)
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: A guide to your visa appointment
On the day of your appointment, arrive at VFS Global’s office at least 10 minutes early. If you are late, you will have to reschedule your appointment to another day. Remember all the documents you prepared, you must provide everything that is asked for. It may be a good idea to dress smartly too, this will make a good impression.
The visa officer will examine your application and supporting documents. If they want to clarify anything or want more information, they may ask you questions which you should answer the point and, more importantly, make sure you are honest.
- What are you going to do in Latvia?
- Will you be meeting anyone in Latvia?
- Do you know anyone there?
- Are you married?
- How old are you?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
|Type of visa
|Schengen visa – up to 90 days
|National visa – over 90 days
|Varies. See VFS Global’s website
|Child between 6-12 years of age
|Children under the age of six
VFS Global also charge a fee of AUD$42.90 which is also paid when you submit your application. You can pay by credit or debit card. The visa and services fees are non-refundable even if your application is rejected or you withdraw your application.
If this is your first time applying for a Schengen visa, you will have to provide biometric data which is a photograph and a scan of your fingerprints.
Step 5: Receive your visa
Once you have submitted your application, you can track it. All you need to do is go to VFS Global’s website and click on: “Track your application” and key in your reference number and last name.
When your application has been processed, your passport will be returned to you in the pre-paid envelope you provided.
The decision will be either:
- Approved – your visa will be inside your passport
- Rejected – this would have been for a specific reason and you can appeal the decision
- No flight reservation – you must provide a confirmed flight reservation when you apply for your passport. Without it, your application will be rejected
- No host ID – if you are being invited to Latvia, you must provide an invitation letter as well as your host’s ID
- Lack of funds – you must be able to afford your trip and your evidence, such as bank statements, must prove this
- No work contract – if you are going to work in Latvia, even for a few weeks, you must provide a work contract from the company in Latvia
How to contact VFS Global:
- Email: email@example.com
- Contact Centre: +61282784527
- Contact Centre Hours of Operation: 9:00 to 17:00 AEST
Level 4, 90 King William Street, Adelaide, South Australia – 5000.
Level 8, 87 Wickham Terrace, Spring Hill, Queensland 4004
Level 4, 10 Hobart Place, Canberra, ACT 2601
Suite 3, level 13, 55 Swanston Street, Melbourne, Victoria – 3000
Suite 330, 267 St Georges Terrace, Level 3, Perth WA 6000
Suite 9.03, Level 9, 139 Macquarie Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
To apply for a Schengen visa for Latvia from VFS Global in Australia, follow these simple steps:
- Complete your application by downloading it
- Register and make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
Once you get your visa, you can get your suitcases out and start packing for your exciting trip to Latvia!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.