Iceland Embassy Washington DC – 5 Easy Steps to Apply for Iceland Schengen Visa
Iceland is a beautiful Schengen country and, compared to other countries around the world, sees relatively little tourists. But don’t let that put you off! In fact, you may just get a glacier or 2 all to yourself! Reykjavik is great for shopping, eating and drinking while Husavik and Vik are perfect for trekking, horse riding, and whale watching! In this article learn more about how to apply for Iceland visa at the Icelandic embassy in Washington, DC, Iceland visa appointment booking, Processing time at the Iceland visa application center, flight itinerary for Iceland visa, hotel bookings for Iceland visa, Schengen travel insurance for Iceland visa application, and Iceland Visa Application Process at the Washington embassy.
Iceland Schengen Visa
In 2017, there were 7,610 Iceland Schengen visa applications received worldwide. 73 (0.96%) of these applications were rejected. There was no data about the number of applications received by the visa offices in Washington.
Applying for Iceland Schengen Visa from the United States
If you are a US citizen you do NOT need to apply for a visa for Iceland. However, if you live in the US permanently, but you are not a US citizen by birth, you DO need to apply for a visa to enter and stay in Iceland.
You have to make sure you apply at the right Icelandic embassy and consulate. The Embassy of Iceland in Washington no longer deals with visa applications. It is the Embassy of Sweden in Washington that decides whether to grant your visa or not, but this visa office has outsourced the handling of visa applications to VFS Global. If you live in Washington DC, Maryland or Virginia, you should submit your application for processing to VFS Global in Washington.
Types of Schengen Visas Offered at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington
There are 2 types of visas for Iceland offered at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington and the one you need to apply for will depend on the duration of your trip and your reason for going to Iceland:
- Schengen visa – for stays up to 90 days for tourism, business, visiting family or friends, attending a conference, sports, and transit
- Long-stay visa – for stays over 90 days for family reunification, employment, study, etc. If you are applying for a long-stay visa, you may also have to apply for a residence permit. More information regarding residence permits can be found on the embassy’s website. Applications for residence permits are received and processed by the Icelandic Directorate of Immigration
On your application form, you can state how many times you want to be able to enter Iceland. For example:
- Single entry – you are permitted to enter once within the dates of the visa
- Double entry – you are permitted to enter twice within the dates of the visa
- Multiple entry – there is no limit to the number of times you can enter within the dates of the visa
Schengen Visa Application Process at the Embassy of Sweden and VFS Global in Washington
Schengen visa applications are processed within 15 days from the time you submit your application. An extra 2-3 days will be added to allow for your application to be sent to and from the embassy from VFS Global. Since there is no rush processing available, you should apply well in advance of your departure date. You can apply up to 90 days ahead, so don’t leave it too late. Residence permit applications can take longer and you can find out the processing times on the website of Icelandic Directorate of Immigration.
Here are a few steps to help you apply for your Iceland visa.
Step 1: Make an appointment
Making appointments with the embassy or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, the visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below:
- Go to VFS Global’s website and click on: “Schedule an appointment”:
- Then, register as a new user:
- Log into the system and you will be able to make an appointment for your Schengen visa application:
Step 2: Complete your application form
For Schengen visa applications, go to VFS Global’s website and click on: “Know your visa type”:
Next, click on the type of visa you are applying for:
Then, click on the “Documents required” tab where you will find the link for the application form:
Then, you will be able to download the form to complete and sign it:
For residence permit application forms, the Embassy of Iceland confirms that these are dealt with by the Icelandic Directorate of Immigration, so go to the embassy’s website and click on the link:
You will then be directed to the Icelandic Directorates’s website. Click on: “Residence permits”:
Then, you can choose the correct application form which you can download to complete and sign:
Step 3: Prepare your documents
Before you begin this step, take a look at the requirements on VFS Global’s website to know what you need to prepare. If you submit a visa application with anything missing, it may be rejected. Requirements for long-stay visas and residence permits can be found on the website of the Icelandic Directorate of Immigration.
You need to prepare original documents AND photocopies of everything, so don’t forget to do this.
- Application for Schengen Visa – to be completed, signed and dated
- Passport, with at least 2 blank pages, valid for at least 90 days beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area and not issued more than 10 years ago
- Two (2) recent passport photographs with a light background
- Proof of purpose of the visit: evidence of accommodation such as a confirmed hotel reservation or confirmation of an organized tour
- Confirmed flight/travel tickets
- Evidence of occupation/student status:
- If you are employed, bring proof of your current occupation in the USA, i.e. an original letter from your employer
- f you are a student, bring an original letter from your school or university confirming your status/attendance and a recent bank statement
- Documents must be original and not older than one month
- Evidence that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay i.e. original bank statements for the latest three months
- Approval letter of vacation from work, university etc.
- A confirmation letter from your insurance company stating clearly that you have international coverage for:
- any emergency medical expenses
- emergency hospital treatment
- repatriation for medical reasons
– Minimum coverage must be €30,000 and the coverage has to be valid for the entire duration of the trip
- Notarized copy of U.S. Alien Registration Card or other valid resident visas (type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, O, or R) valid for at least three months after the intended departure from the Schengen area
- Letter of invitation from a company/private individual in Iceland confirming the purpose and length of the trip
- Evidence of family ties
- Marriage certificate
- Documents required for minors (under 18)
- Application form signed by both parents
- Passport and US Visa (Original and copy)
- Full version birth certificate (Original and copy). If the document is not in English, a notarized copy must be provided
- Consent letter signed by both parents. If you are a single parent, then sole custody letter/residence/custody order from court or solicitor must be provided
- Copy of parents ID
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: Submit your application
When the day of your appointment arrives, remember the following things:
- Arrive early – you don’t want your appointment to be cancelled, so arrive early and don’t be late
- Remember ALL your documents – if you provide an incomplete application, your appointment may be cancelled, so don’t forget anything
- Dress smartly – don’t turn up in shorts and t-shirt. You should aim to make a good impression
The visa officer will look at your application and supporting documents and if they need any further information, they may ask you additional questions. Simply answer politely and truthfully.
- Are you going to seek any employment in the Schengen area?
- When will you travel to Iceland?
- Where will you stay when you’re on holiday/studying?
- How do we know that you will return to the US before the visa expires?
- How much will this journey cost you?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
You will also pay the fee for your visa. You can pay by credit/debit card and money order or cashier’s check payable to VFS Services USA Inc. There is also an additional charge of $33 payable to VFS Global which is paid to VFS when you submit your application. These fees are not refunded, even if your application is refused.
If you have never applied for a Schengen visa before, you will also have to provide a scan of your fingerprints and a digital photograph. If you have applied within the last 5 years, your data can be reused.
|Type of Visa||Fee|
|Schengen visa for children aged between 6 and 12||$40|
|Citizens of Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Moldavia, Russia, and Ukraine||$40|
|Schengen visa for all children under the age of 6||Free|
Fees for long-stay visas and residence permits can be found on the Icelandic Directorate’s website.
Step 5: Receive your visa
Once you have submitted your application, you can track your application. Go to VFS Global’s website and click on: “Track your application”:
Enter your details requested and click on: “Submit”:
For long-stay visas and resident permits, check the Icelandic Directorate’s website.
When a decision has been made, you can either collect your passport or arrange for it to be mailed back to you. VFS Global charge an additional fee of $30 for their courier service.
Visa application decisions:
- Approved – you will find your visa inside your passport
- Rejected – your visa application has been rejected for a reason
- No invitation letter – if you are being invited to Iceland by a person or a company etc., you must provide an invitation letter
- Birth certificate not included – applicants under the age of 18 must provide their birth certificate
- Lack of funds – you must be able to afford your trip and you must be able to prove this with the documents you provide e.g. bank statements or payslips etc
- No accommodation booking – you must provide evidence that you have accommodation for your entire stay in Iceland
Contact details for the Embassy of Iceland in Washington
Address: House of Sweden, 2900 K Street N.W., Suite 509, Washington, DC 20007-1704
Telephone: +1 (202) 265 6653
Contact details for the Embassy of Sweden in Washington
Address: 2900 K Street, N.W. Washington, DC 20007
Tel: +1 202 467 2600 Visa phone hours: Monday and Thursday, 11.00 am – 12.00 pm
Fax: +1 202 467 2699
Contact details for VFS Global in Washington
Address: 1025 Vermont Ave NW, St# 200, Washington DC 20005
Tel: 347 329 2738 Monday to Friday, 8.00am – 6.00pm
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9.00 am – 3.00 pm (Submission of applications)
Monday to Friday, 3.00 pm – 5.00 pm (Collection of passports)
There are just 5 steps to follow to apply for your Iceland Schengen visa:
- Make an appointment
- Complete your application form
- Prepare your documents
- Submit your application
- Receive your visa
Then, all you need to do is start packing for your awesome trip to Iceland!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.
How To Apply for Iceland Schengen Visa at Iceland Consulate in San Francisco, California
How To Apply for Iceland Schengen Visa at Iceland Consulate in NYC, New York
How To Apply for Iceland Schengen Visa at Iceland Consulate in Houston, Texas