Iceland Consulate NYC, New York – 5 Easy Steps to Apply for Iceland Schengen Visa
You may never have witnessed beauty like the sort that awaits you in Iceland. Visit this Schengen country in the summer for the best time to see it all in its glory. Most of the action happens in its capital Reykjavik, but you may want to take a tour out into the open countryside. Vatnajokull National Park has some of the most impressive sights of all. Not only, is the park the largest in Iceland, but it’s home to the highest mountain – Hvannadalshnukur, the largest glacier – Vatnajokull, and the largest waterfall – Dettifloss. You won’t forget those in a hurry! In this article learn more about how to apply for Iceland visa at the Icelandic consulate in NYC, New York, Iceland visa appointment booking, Processing time at the Iceland visa application center, flight itinerary for Iceland visa, hotel bookings for Iceland visa, Schengen travel insurance for Iceland visa application, and Iceland Visa Application Process at the NYC consulate.
Iceland Schengen Visa
In 2017, there were 7,610 Iceland Schengen visa applications received worldwide. Just 73 of these were denied for a number of reasons. There was no data for how many applications were dealt with by the consulate of Denmark in NYC, New York.
Applying for Iceland Schengen Visa from the United States
If you currently reside permanently in the US and you are planning on going to Iceland, you may need a visa.
Generally, US citizens do NOT need a visa, but non-US citizens DO need a visa. If this applies to you, you must apply at the consulate nearest to where you live.
You have to make sure you apply at the right Icelandic embassy and consulate. The Consulate General of DENMARK in New York deals with ALL visa applications for Iceland. However, you will submit your application to VFS Global. There are 5 VFS offices located across the US – New York, Washington, Houston, Chicago, and San Francisco. Therefore, if you live in the New York area, you can apply through the New York office.
Please note, although VFS Global will receive your application, it is the Consulate of Denmark in New York that will process your application and, ultimately, make a decision about your visa.
Here are a few steps to help you apply for your Iceland visa.
Types of Schengen Visas Offered at the Consulate General of Denmark and VFS Global in NYC, New York
The duration of your trip and your reason for wanting to go to Iceland will determine the type of visa you apply for.
- Visitors Visa – this visa is for tourism, business, or if you wish to visit family and/or friends for stays up to 90 days
- National Visa with Residence Permit – this visa is for family reunification, employment, study etc., for stays exceeding 90 days. Further information on residence permits can be found on the website of The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI)
When you apply for your Iceland visa, you can specify the number of times you wish to enter the country during the visa period:
- Single entry – you are permitted to enter once
- Double entry – you are permitted to enter twice
- Multiple entry – there is no limit to the number of times you can enter
Schengen Visa Application Process at the Consulate General of Denmark and VFS Global in NYC, New York
You can apply up to 12 weeks ahead of time, and it is recommended that you submit your Iceland visa application no later than 20-30 days prior to your intended departure dates. Anything less than 15 days may not be accepted by VFS Global because there may not be enough time to process your application.
It takes around 15 days to process applications, but it could take longer during summer months and holiday periods. In addition, it can take up to 2 weeks to get an appointment at VFS Global, plus, it takes an additional few days for your application to be sent to and from the consulate in New York, so bear this in mind.
The general rule is NOT to apply too late!
There are a few steps that you can follow which will help you apply for your Iceland visa.
Step 1: Register and complete your application
First, you need to register and complete your application. Go to the Consulate of Denmark’s website and click on: “Travel and residence” then “Visa”:
On the next page, click on: “Business, Tourist and Private Visitor visa”:
Then, scroll down to where it tells you how to apply and click on: “Visa Self-Service Denmark“:
This is the visa portal. Click on: “How to apply”:
The next page gives information on applying. Once you’ve read that, click on register user:
You’ll need to create an account:
And then log in:
By completing the application form online, it is electronically passed to the Danish Consulate in New York, so there is no need to hand over a paper copy. However, you MUST hand over a signed cover letter which can be printed once you’ve completed your application online, so don’t forget to do so.
If you are applying for a National visa and residence permit, you can find the relevant information and forms on the consulate of Denmark’s website. Click on: “Residence and work permit for Denmark”:
If you click on the application form link, you will be directed to a guide and you’ll also find links to the different application forms. Make sure you choose the one that matches your reason for going to Iceland.
Step 2: Make an appointment to submit your file to VFS Global
Making appointments with the embassy or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment yourself by following below steps:
- Make an appointment at VFS Global to submit your application for processing. Go to the consulate of Denmark’s website and click on: “Where to apply”:
- Scroll down and choose the office you want to deal with, and click on the “Schedule an appointment” link:
- You’ll need to register as a new user:
- Then, log in:
You’ll then be able to make a suitable date and time for you to go to VFS and hand over your documents.
Step 3: Prepare your documents
The documentation you need for your application varies depending on the type of visa you are applying for, so it’s a good idea to check the consulate’s website to find out what you need for your visa.
There are document checklists available, so take a look at these, print them off, and refer to them as you proceed through this step:
In addition, you need to make sure you provide original documents AND color photocopies of everything.
- Visa self-service cover letter – signed and dated
- One recent colored passport photo (no more than 6 months old) with white background and with mouth closed (see photo requirements)
- Receipt for payment obtained after your online visa application has been completed and paid
Original passport with a validity that exceeds the intended stay by at least three months
- Passports must have been issued within the last ten years. Also, make sure your passport has two blank pages to affix the visa
- Colored copy of your entire valid passport and copy of old passport pages with previous Schengen visas incl. entry/exit stamps for the last 5 years
- Valid original U.S. resident alien card or a valid US visa including I-94. Students should present a valid I-20. Exchange visitors should provide a valid DS-2019. Residence permit/visa must be valid for at least three months past trip
- Proof of sufficient funds for the stay in the Schengen area – bank statements or credit card statements for the previous 3 months. Sufficient funds: $90 per day for hotel stays and $60 per day for stays in a hostel or on a cruise
- Letter from your employer indicating when you began working and if you are able to return to your job and/or approval of leave. If you are self-employed please submit your latest tax returns and your business registration
- Students without an I-20 must provide proof of enrollment
- Retirees must provide proof of pension income
- Unemployed must provide unemployment benefits or other financial support
- Sponsorship Letter
- Flight itineraries in your name for all planned stays in the Schengen area
- Hotel/hostel reservations in your name covering every day of your stay
- Proof of Schengen medical travel insurance valid throughout the territory of the Schengen area for the entire period. The minimum coverage accepted is $40,000
- Written consent of parents with minor’s birth certificate
- Invitation from host
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: Submit your application to VFS Global
On the day of your appointment, go to VFS Global in New York. 3 things to remember that will make your visit easier are:
- Arrive early – if you are late, you may have to reschedule your appointment
- Remember all the required documents – if there is anything missing. VFS will not accept your application nor will they send it to the consulate of Denmark for processing
- Don’t dress too casually – wear smart clothing to make a good impression
VFS Global will begin to look over your application and if they need any further information from you, they will ask you extra questions. Don’t panic or worry about this, simply answer honestly and with confidence.
- Do you have any children?
- Do you have any friends or family living in the Schengen area?
- Do you pay income tax?
- Have you paid for your flight yet?
- Have you ever traveled to the Schengen area before?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
You would have already paid the fee by credit or debit card on the visa application portal. However, there is also an additional charge of $33 payable to VFS Global. This is paid when you submit your application. These fees are not refunded, even if your application is refused.
If this is your first time applying for a Schengen visa, you will also have to provide biometric data which is a scan of your fingerprints and a digital photograph.
If you have had your biometrics recorded after June 1, 2014, your data may be reused. If this is the case, you have the option of sending your application to VFS Global by mail. Please note, you may still be called for an interview by the consulate.
If this applies, you must include the following items in addition to the documentation listed on the above appropriate checklist:
- One most recent passport photo (no more than 90 days old)
- A colored copy of the latest visa with your biometrics
- A money order or certified check made out to VFS Services USA Inc. in the amount of $63 (New York)/$93 (all other locations)
Iceland Visa Fee
|Type of Visa||Fee|
|Visitor’s visa for children aged between 6 and 12||$40/€35|
|Visitor’s visa for adults and children over 6 years old who are citizens of Azerbaijan, Russia or Ukraine||$40/€35|
|Visitor’s visa for all children under the age of 6||Free|
Fees for residence permits can be found on the Danish consulate’s website.
Step 5: Receive your visa
After you submit your application, you can track its progress by going to the consulate’s Visa self-service portal:
All you need to do is log in and click on ‘Previous applications’ to see the status of your application.
Once a decision has been reached, you will receive notification and you can either:
- Collect your passport from VFS Global – you need to take your receipt with you when you collect your document
- Arrange for your passport to be returned by mail – your passport can be returned to you via UPS courier. If you wish for this to happen, you must inform VFS Global when you submit your application. An additional fee of $30 per passport is charged
Hopefully, you’ll find your Iceland Schengen visa in your passport, but if it isn’t there, your application would have been rejected.
- Hotel booking not included
- The birth certificate is in a foreign language
- Passport does not have 3 months remaining
- You have applied for the wrong type of visa
- You did not provide a signed cover letter
If your passport is not valid for 3 months past your return date to the US, you must obtain a new one before applying for your visa. You must ensure you apply for the correct visa, so check the consulate’s website before you begin. If you have any documents in a foreign language, they must be translated into English and authenticated. It’s imperative that you provide ALL the necessary documents, including hotel bookings and a signed cover letter.
Contact details for the Consulate General of Denmark in NYC, New York
Address: Chrysler Building East, 666 Third Avenue, 11th Floor, New York, NY, 10017
Telephone: +1 (212) 223 4545
Fax: +1 (212) 754 1904
Contact details for VFS Global in NYC, New York
Address: 145 West 45th Street, Floor 4, New York, NY 10036
Tel: 347 329 2738 – Monday to Friday, 8.00 am – 6.00 pm
Monday to Friday, 8.00 am – 3.00 pm (Submission of applications)
Monday to Friday, 3.00 pm – 4.00 pm (Collection of passports)
The process for getting your Iceland visa through VFS Global in New York is easy. All you need to do is:
- Register and complete your application
- Make an appointment to submit your file to VFS Global
- Prepare your documents
- Submit your application to VFS Global
- Receive your visa
Once you get to the end, take a sigh of relief and get packing for Iceland!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.