How to Apply for Iceland Schengen Visa from Australia in 5 Easy Steps – A Complete Guide
Iceland is just 1 of the 26 Schengen countries and it’s a fabulous destination to visit. Expect out of this world landscapes with lots of snow, waterfalls and caves. It’s a land of such beauty it will take your breath away at every turn! In this article, learn more about how to apply for an Iceland visa in Australia, Iceland visa appointment booking, processing time at the Iceland visa application centre, flight itinerary for an Iceland visa, hotel bookings for an Iceland visa, Schengen travel insurance for an Iceland visa application, and Iceland visa application process at the visa offices in Australia.
Iceland Schengen Visas
In 2018, embassies and consulates around the world received 9,334 Iceland Schengen visa applications and rejected 156 of them. There was no data as to how many applications were received and rejected in Australia.
Applying for a Schengen Visa from Australia
If you were born in Australia, you do NOT need to apply for a visa to be able to go to Iceland. If you were born in a different country, but you are currently living in Australia permanently, you will need to apply for a visa to enter and stay in Iceland.
The Danish Consulate General in Sydney issues Schengen visas for Iceland from applicants in Australia (except Canberra). For more information, you should take a look at the website of VFS Global for Denmark.
In Canberra, Iceland has a representation agreement with Norway, so all applicants in Canberra must submit their application with the Royal Norwegian Embassy. For more information, you should take a look at the website of VFS Global for Norway.
The Danish Embassy in Bangkok and the Royal Norwegian Embassy will make the final decision about your visa, but you will submit your application to one of the following VFS Global offices located across Australia:
Types of Schengen visas offered at the Consulate of Denmark in Sydney and the Royal Norwegian Embassy in Canberra
There are 3 types of visas you can apply for and the one you need will be determined by why you are going to Iceland and how long you are going for.
- Schengen visa – for tourism, business, visiting family or friends for up to 90 days
- Airport Transit visa – if you are connecting through a Schengen country airport and not leaving the airport
- National visa – for family reasons, study or employment etc., for over 90 days
How Can I Apply for a Schengen Visa from VFS Global?
Visa applications are usually processed in 15 calendar days. The 15 days are counted from the day where the embassy or consulate received the application from VFS Global. This means that you should allow an extra 2-3 days for your application to be posted for processing. You should submit your application with VFS Global a minimum of 3 weeks before you are due to fly to Iceland.
Please bear in mind, applications could take longer to process if, for example, further documentation is required, so the earlier you can apply, the better!
Here are 5 easy steps to follow to help you apply for your visa:
Step 1: How to complete your application?
If you reside in Australia, go to VFS Global for Denmark and click on: “How to Apply”:
Then, scroll down to “Step 3 – Apply and pay online”:
You will be directed to the online application system “ApplyVisa”. Read the instructions on how to apply before clicking the link at the bottom:
Next, register and create a new account:
Then you will be able to complete your application, pay the fee, and print the cover letter which you will need to submit along with your other documents.
If you reside in Canberra, go to VFS Global for Norway’s website and click on: “How to Apply”:
Under “Step 1”, click “Apply now”:
You will be directed to the online system. You will need to create an account before you log in:
You will also find instructions on how to use the system and what steps you need to take in order to complete your application:
Step 2: How to make an appointment?
Making appointments with the embassy or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below:
- Go to VFS Global’s website and click on “Schedule an appointment”
- Scroll down and click on the link
- Click on the link to access the booking system
- Register as a new user
- Log in and make a convenient appointment
Step 3: Prepare your documents
You can find a list of documents that you need to submit for your type of visa on the website of the visa office you are applying to. It’s a good idea to find out what they are BEFORE you start this step. Don’t rush either, it’s worth taking your time and making sure you have everything you need.
You should also prepare photocopies as well as providing the original documents, so don’t forget to do that too!
- Visa application form
- Cover letter (if required from either online application system)
- Passport photograph
- Passport/travel document valid for minimum three months after the departure from the Schengen region, with at least two blank pages and issued within the previous 10 years
- Valid travel medical insurance to cover repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospital treatment or death. The minimum coverage of EUR 30,000
- VEVO or other proof of re-entry permit for Australia valid for at least three months after the departure from the Schengen region
- Proof of financial means – bank statements for at least the last 3 months
- Marriage certificate or registered partnership
- An airline reservation to and from Iceland
- Proof of accommodation such as a hotel reservation
- Proof of residential address in Australia – copy of driver’s licence, a utility bill etc
- Proof of employment – payslips or letter from employer OR confirmation of enrolment with a university or other educational establishment in Australia
- Letter of invitation if being invited to Iceland by an individual or a company
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: A guide to your visa appointment
Whatever you do, don’t worry about your visa appointment. There is nothing to it. All you need to do is:
- Arrive early – to avoid having to reschedule your appointment
- Remember all the documents you prepared – if you fail to submit everything, it could result in your application being refused
- Dress smartly – if you want to make a good impression
The visa officer may ask you questions regarding the information you have stated in your application. All you need to do is answer honestly and give as much or as little information as requested.
- What do you know about Iceland?
- How long are you going to Iceland for?
- What do you do in Australia?
- What are you going to do in Iceland?
- Are you travelling alone?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
|Type of visa||Fee|
|Schengen visa – up to 90 days||97AUD/€60|
|National visa – over 90 days||See VFS Global’s website|
|Child between 6-12 years of age||56 AUD/€35|
|Children under the age of six||Free|
VFS Global also charge a service fee which you will have to pay alongside the visa fee. Check the website to see what the charge is. If you have submitted your application on the online system, you would have already paid the visa fee by credit or debit card. Please note, fees are non-refundable.
If this is your first time applying for a Schengen visa, you will have to provide biometric data which is a photograph and a scan of your fingerprints.
Step 5: Receive your visa
Once you have submitted your application, you can track its progress. You can do this on VFS Global’s website by clicking on “Track your application” and keying in your reference number and date of birth.
Once a decision about your visa has been reached, you will receive your passport from VFS Global.
The decision will be either:
- Approved – your visa will be inside your passport
- Rejected – this would have been for a specific reason and you can appeal the decision
Common rejection reasons include:
- No invitation letter – if you are being invited by a person or a company, you will need to provide an invitation letter with all the relevant information such as name and address of the host
- Passport expires in 1 month – your passport should valid for at least 3 months past your return to Australia. If it isn’t, you should get a new one before applying for your visa
- Purpose of visit is not clear – the reason you wish to visit Iceland should be made clear to the embassy or consulate. You can do this easily by providing evidence such as a tour itinerary or an employment contract etc
- Travel insurance is only valid in Iceland – even though you may only be visiting Iceland, the travel insurance should provide cover in ALL Schengen countries
How to contact VFS Global in Australia:
Contact Centre: +61 2 8278 4527
Contact Centre Hours of Operation: 9:00am to 5:00pm AEST
Address: Suite 3, level 13, 55 Swanston Street, Melbourne, Victoria – 3000
Address: Suite 9.03, Level 9, 139 Macquarie Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
Address: Level 4, 90 King William Street, Adelaide, South Australia – 5000
Address: Level 4, 10 Hobart Place, Canberra, ACT 2601
Address: Suite 330, 267 St Georges Terrace, Level 3, Perth WA 6000
Address: Level 8, 87 Wickham Terrace, Spring Hill, Queensland 4004
To apply for a Schengen visa for Iceland in Australia, follow these simple steps:
- Complete your application
- Make your appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
Once you get to step 5, there is nothing else to do, but enjoy the countdown to your trip!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa, Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.
How to Apply for Schengen Visa from Australia
How to Apply for Austria Schengen Visa from Australia
How to Apply for Belgium Schengen Visa from Australia
How to Apply for Czech Republic Schengen Visa from Australia
How to Apply for Denmark Schengen Visa from Australia
How to Apply for Estonia Schengen Visa from Australia
How to Apply for Finland Schengen Visa from Australia
How to Apply for France Schengen Visa from Australia
How to Apply for Germany Schengen Visa from Australia
How to Apply for Greece Schengen Visa from Australia