How to Apply for a Hungary Schengen Visa from Australia in 5 Easy Steps – A Complete Guide
Hungary might not be at the top of your list of Schengen countries to visit, but it should be. There are lots of fabulous sights and sounds in every part of this beautiful destination from the capital Budapest to the largest lake in Central Europe – Lake Balaton! In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Hungary visa from the consulate of Switzerland in Sydney, Australia, Hungary visa appointment booking, processing time at the Hungary visa application centre, flight itinerary for a Hungary visa, hotel bookings for a Hungary visa, Schengen travel insurance for a Hungary visa application, and Hungary visa application process at the visa office in Sydney.
Hungary Schengen Visas
In 2018, 228,793 Hungary Schengen visa applications were received by visa offices around the world and 17,762 (7.8%) were rejected. There was no data as to how many visa applications for Hungary were dealt with by the Consulate General of Switzerland in Sydney.
Applying for a Schengen Visa from Australia
Citizens of Australia, Kiribati, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu can enter the Schengen area including Hungary as tourists, visitors or for business purpose without needing a visa for a maximum stay of 90 days. If you are not a citizen of these or any other country that enjoys visa-free status, but you are currently living in Australia permanently, you will have to apply for a visa to visit Hungary.
As you long as you do not hold a temporary visa and you can prove that you are living in Australia legally, you may still apply from Australia.
You have to make sure you apply at the correct Hungary visa office.
Types of Schengen visas offered at the Consulate General of Switzerland in Sydney
There are 3 types of visa available for you to apply for. The correct one will depend on why you are going to Hungary and how long you are going for:
- Schengen visa – type C – for tourism, business, visiting family or friends for up to 90 days
- Airport Transit visa – type A – if you are changing planes en route to your final destination and not leaving the international zone of the airport
- National visa – type D – you will need this type of visa if you are staying in Hungary for over 90 days for study, employment or family reasons etc
How Can I Apply for a Schengen Visa in Australia?
You may submit your application to the consulate 90 days before you plan to travel to Hungary. The consulate will give you a decision within 15 days. Don’t leave too late to apply – the earlier the better!
Here are 5 easy steps to follow to help you apply for your visa:
Step 1: How to complete your application?
Go to the consulate’s website and click on: “Visa and entry to Switzerland” then “Visa – Entry to and residence in Switzerland”:
Then, click on: “Schengen visa for a stay of up to 90 days”:
Next, “Which documents should I submit with a Schengen visa application”:
On the next page, you’ll see a link for “Requirements for tourist visa”:
Click on the link for the online application or go to www.swiss-visa.ch:
You will be directed to the consulate’s online system. Choose the country you are applying from – in this case – Australia:
Read the instructions and click on “Online application”:
Complete your information and continue through the screens. You will be able to submit your application electronically, but don’t forget to print it off as you will need to hand it over the consulate when you go for your appointment.
Step 2: How to make an appointment?
Making appointments with the embassy, consulate or visa application centre is generally free and can be done yourself. However, if you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, the visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below.
- Go to the consulate’s website and click on: “Visa and entry to Switzerland” then “Visa – Entry to and residence in Switzerland”
- Then, click on: “Schengen visa for a stay of up to 90 days”
- Next, “Which documents should I submit with a Schengen visa application”
- On the next page, you’ll see a link for “Requirements for tourist visa”
- Click on the link for the online application or go to www.swiss-visa.ch
- You will be directed to the consulate’s online system. Choose the country you are applying from – in this case – Australia
- Read the instructions and click on “Online application”
- Complete your information and continue through the screens
- Once you have submitted your application electronically, you will be sent a link by email inviting you to make a convenient day and time for your appointment
Step 3: Prepare your documents
You can find a list of documents that you need for your visa on the consulate’s website, so check the requirements before you do anything else. This will save time later and prevent your application from being rejected.
You should also prepare photocopies as well as providing the original documents, so don’t forget to do that too!
- Online application (www.swiss-visa.ch)
- Two recent passport photographs
- Passport (valid for at least three months beyond the stay, with at least two blank pages)
- Copy of your passport (page with your personal data and picture)
- Proof of visa status in Australia – Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)
- Confirmed flight reservations from/to Australia, including a detailed itinerary
- Proof of international travel insurance with a minimum cover of EUR 30,000.00, covering urgent medical treatment or hospitalization, repatriation
- Confirmed hotel reservation for every night you remain in Hungary
- Proof of residence e.g.bank statement, driver’s license, invoice
- If married or in a partnership, provide a marriage certificate or registered partnership agreement
- Proof of sufficient financial means for your planned trip (including recent bank statements for the last three months)
- If being invited to Hungary by a private individual or a company/organisation/event organiser you need to provide an invitation letter
- Recent letter from your employer confirming your employment (including your position)
- Prepaid, self-addressed registered/express return envelope or a prepaid courier satchel
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: A guide to your visa appointment
On the day of your appointment, don’t be late. It’s better to arrive early. That way you can relax and prepare yourself before your appointment starts. Remember all the documents you prepared – just 1 missing piece of paperwork could affect the outcome of your application. Lastly, think about what you are going to wear – it can make a difference and give a good impression if you are nicely dressed.
The visa officer will start to examine your application and supporting documents and they may well ask you questions to clarify some of the information you have given. Don’t panic – answer honestly and to the point!
- Do you know anyone in Hungary?
- Are you going to work in Hungary?
- What do you do in Australia?
- How much do you earn?
- Have you ever been to the Schengen Area before??
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
|Type of visa||Fee|
|Schengen visa – up to 90 days||99 AUD/€60|
|National visa – over 90 days||See the consulate’s website|
|Child between 6-12 years of age||59 AUD/€35|
|Children under the age of six||Free|
You should check with the consulate which payment methods are available to you. Please note, the fee is non-refundable even if your application is rejected or you withdraw your application.
You will also have to have your photo taken and provide a scan of your fingerprints, particularly if this is your first time applying for a Schengen visa.
Step 5: Receive your visa
Once the consulate has made a decision, they will send your passport to your home address.
The decision will be either:
- Approved – your visa will be inside your passport
- Rejected – this would have been for a specific reason and you can appeal the decision
- Some of your documents are false – under no circumstances, provide the consulate with false documents. They will find you out! If you can’t provide any of the required documents, rather than handing over a fake, write a cover letter and explain why you can’t provide the evidence
- No invitation letter – if you are being invited to Hungary by a person or a company, you must provide an invitation letter with all the relevant information and/or other documents. Check the consulate’s website if this applies to you
- Passport does not have 2 free pages – for the visa to be attached to your passport, it must have 2 free pages. If it does not, you must get a new one before applying for your visa
- Proof of residence not provided – you must provide proof that you reside in Australia. A driver’s licence or utility bill is sufficient
Ways to contact the Consulate General of Switzerland in Sydney?
Address: 101 Grafton Street, Cnr Grosvenor Street, Tower 2, Level 23, Bondi Junction, NSW 2022 Australia
Phone: +61 2 8383 4000
Fax: +61 2 9369 1334
To apply for a Schengen visa for Hungary in Australia, follow these simple steps:
- Complete your application by downloading it
- Register and make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
Then, the only thing you need to do is look forward to your exciting trip!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.