How to Apply for Hungary Schengen Visa from Canada in 5 Easy Steps – A Complete Guide
Thousands of eager travelers head to the Schengen zone every year and one country in this area is Hungary. It’s a fascinating country with cities perfect for exploring, castles and other wonderful architecture to see. There are also forests and lakes to get back to nature and spas to relax in. One thing is for sure, you will have a ball in this beautiful country! In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Hungary visa at the Embassy of Hungary in Ottawa, Canada, Hungary visa appointment booking, processing time at the Hungary visa application center, flight itinerary for a Hungary visa, hotel bookings for a Hungary visa, Schengen travel insurance for a Hungary visa application, and Hungary visa application process at the Ottawa embassy.
Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ottawa_-_ON_-_Parliament_Hill.jpg. Author: Wladyslaw [Disk.]
Hungary Schengen Visas
In 2018, 228,793 Hungary Schengen visas were received by embassies across the world and, of this amount, 17,762 (7.8%) were rejected. The Hungarian Embassy in Ottawa received 188 applications and rejected 9 (4.8%).
Applying for a Schengen Visa from Canada
Canadian citizens do not have to apply for a visa for Hungary, they are permitted to visit the country for up to 90 days. However, non-Canadian citizens do need a visa to be able to enter and stay in Hungary. If this applies to you and you can prove your residency status, then applying for a Hungary visa from Canada is straightforward.
Where to apply for a Hungary Schengen visa
You can apply in Ottawa. The Consulate General in Toronto does not issue Schengen visas.
If you reside in Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan or the Yukon or Northwest Territories, you can also apply at the Swiss Consulate General in Vancouver, which issues Schengen visas on Hungary’s behalf.
You can only apply in Canada if you are legally resident in Canada, meaning if
- you are a permanent resident or
- you have a study permit or work permit or
- you have a super visa and have not been able to apply in the country of your citizenship
You have to make sure you apply at the right Hungary visa office.
Types of Schengen visas offered by the consulates in Canada
There are 2 types of visas you may apply for and the one you choose will depend on the reason and duration of your trip:
- Schengen visa: for tourism, business, or visiting family or friends and transit visa for up to 90 days
- Residence permit: for over 90 days for employment, study, research, family reunification or residence
How to Apply for a Hungary Schengen Visa from Canada
Visa applications are processed within 15 days, so you should apply AT LEAST 15 days prior to your departure date. It could take as many as 60 days, so you should apply as soon as possible. You may apply up to 90 days ahead.
There are 5 easy steps to follow to help you apply for your visa:
Step 1: Complete your application form
To complete your application form, go to the Embassy of Hungary’s website and click on: “Visa and Travel Information” and then “Schengen Visa”:
On the next page, scroll down to: “What form shall I fill out” and click on the link to download the application form:
Step 2: Make an appointment
Making appointments with the embassy, consulate or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, the visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below.
- Go to the embassy’s website again, click on: “Consular Information” then “Contact details and appointments”
- Scroll down and click on the link for appointment booking
- Complete the booking information
- Choose a date
- Validate booking
- Confirm your appointment
Step 3: Prepare your documents
The embassy’s website has a list of required documents which you can check before you start this step. It’s very important to provide all the mandatory paperwork to prevent your application from being rejected.
You should also prepare photocopies as well as providing the original documents, so don’t forget to do that too!
- Visa application form – completed and signed
- Passport photographs
- Passport – must be valid for at least three months after the date of departure from the Schengen zone, at least two empty pages and issued no more than 10 years ago
- Permanent resident card valid for at least 3 months after leaving the Schengen area
- Confirmed return flight ticket reservation
- Proof of Schengen travel medical insurance valid for the whole Schengen area to cover a minimum of €30,00. Please present a detailed policy for verifying the above requirements, and also your provincial health card, if necessary.
- Proof of financial means the 3 latest bank statements, proof of employment or 3 latest pay slips, proof of income. If you are self-employed a business license and tax return forms
- Confirmed hotel reservation stating name, address and telephone number of the hotel, including confirmation number and/or proof of group travel participation, etc
- If the purpose of your trip is business, please present a letter of support from the company in Hungary and a letter from your employer stating your position and the reason for your business travel.
- Invitation letter issued by the Hungarian Office of Immigration and Nationality
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: Attend your appointment
You will have to attend in person so the embassy can capture your biometrics for the Visa Information System. If you have previously applied for a Schengen visa at the Hungarian Embassy in Ottawa, and your fingerprints were collected in the last 59 months by any Schengen country, and travelling to Ottawa would be inconvenient for you, you may request permission to lodge your visa application by mail by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may not have to attend an interview if the consul doesn’t think it is necessary. If they do call you into the office, it will be to confirm the details of the application. They may ask you questions like:
- Have you ever been to Hungary before or the EU?
- What are you going to do there?
- How much do you earn?
- What do you do in Canada?
- Are you visiting family or friends in Hungary?
If you are asked questions like these, just answer honestly.
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
You will also pay the fee for your visa. You can pay by credit/debit card only in Canadian dollars. Please note, the fee is non-refundable even if your application gets rejected.
|Type of visa||Fee|
|Schengen visa – up to 90 days||91 CAD/€60|
|Long-stay visa – over 90 days||Varies. Please consult the embassy’s website|
|Child between 6-12 years of age||54 CAD/€35|
|Children under the age of six||Free|
Step 5: Receive your visa
Once your application has been processed, you can collect your passport at the embassy. If you are not able to collect your passport in person, you can arrange for it to be sent by mail. You will need to provide a prepaid, trackable self-addressed envelope for this service.
The decision will be either:
- Approved – your visa will be inside your passport
- Rejected – this would have been for a specific reason
- No letter of support – if you are going to Hungary on business, you must provide a letter of support to explain who will be paying for the trip
- Application form not signed – before you submit your application, check that you have signed in the correct places. For example, you need to put your signature in 2 boxes on the visa application form
- Invalid passport – your passport must be valid (see above requirements). If it isn’t, you will need to get a new one before applying for your visa
- Travel insurance not valid for the whole Schengen area – even if you are only going to Hungary, your travel insurance must cover the whole of the Schengen area
Contact details of the Embassy of Hungary in Ottawa
Address: 302 Metcalfe Street, Ottawa, ON K2P 1S2
Telephone: +1 (613) 230-8215 – Monday to Thursday between 1 pm and 4 pm EST.
Fax: +1 (613) 230-7550
Hours: Monday 9 am to 12 pm; Wednesday 9 am to 12 pm; Thursday 9 am to 12 pm
To apply for a Schengen visa for Hungary, follow these simple steps:
- Complete your application online or download it
- Make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.