Greek Embassy Washington DC – 4 Easy Steps to Apply for Greece Schengen Visa
Greece is one of the most beautiful Schengen countries in the whole of Europe with dazzling white beaches on idyllic islands. There are many islands in Greece and island hopping is a popular and fun way to explore the pine-clad forests and rugged mountains. For a more relaxed time, just laze away your days in any of the beautiful resorts you’ll find there. In this article learn more about how to apply for Greece Visa at the Greek embassy in Washington, DC, Greece visa appointment booking, Processing time at the Greece visa application center and Greece Visa Application Process at the Washington DC embassy.
In 2017, Greece ranked 5th in the number of applications received with 1,029,564 applications. Just under 40,000 were denied for different reasons. The Embassy of Greece in Washington rejected just 9 out of a total of 1,388 applications.
Applying for a Schengen Visa from the United States
If you wish to travel to Greece you must apply for a visa to enter the country. You can do this if you are a non-US national who lives in the United States permanently. You have to make sure you apply at the right Greek embassy and consulate.
The Embassy of Greece in Washington deals only with those who live within their jurisdiction of Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. If you live in any of these areas you can send your application into this embassy.
Types of Schengen Visas Offered at the Embassy of Greece in Washington
There are 2 types of visas available in order to enter Greece and it depends on the duration of your trip as to which one you need to apply for. They are:
There are different types of Schengen visas depending on your reason for traveling to Greece.
They can be issued for the purposes of:
- Visiting family/friends
- Official visit
- Medical reasons
- Airport transit
Similarly, National visas can be issued for the purposes of:
- Family reunion
- Employment purposes
- Studies, research, practical, training, vocational training
- Company staff
- Independent financial activity/investment
It is important to apply for the right visa. If you don’t this could lead to a refused application, so check the embassy’s website before you do anything else.
Visas are usually issued as:
- Single entry – 1 entry during 90 days
- Double entry – 2 entries during the 90 days
- Multiple entry – No limit to entries during the 90 days
Schengen Visa Application Process at the Embassy of Greece in Washington
When you apply for your Greek Schengen visa, you can do so at least 15 days prior to your trip, right up to 90 days before. However, the embassy advises you to apply no later than 1 month before, to take account of their processing times. Currently, the embassy has a turnaround time of 15 days from the time you submit your application. However, it may take up to 30 days, and in some cases, 60 days, to make a decision. When you lodge your application, you will be told of a decision date.
There are a series of steps to apply for your Greek visa at the embassy of Greece in Washington.
Step 1: Make an appointment online
Step one is to book your appointment. As mentioned above, it is advisable to book this at least 1 month prior to your trip.
The embassy in Washington does not have an online appointment booking system. All you need to do is to contact them.
Telephone number: +1 202 939 1300
Email address: email@example.com
Go to the embassy’s website and click on: “Services” then “Visas”:
On the next page, click on: “Consular office in Washington DC”:
On this page, you will find the contact details of the embassy, so you can make a suitable appointment:
Making appointments with the embassy or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Step 2: Preparing your documents
Once your appointment is booked, it’s time to get the required documents ready. There are 4 things you need to do:
- Prepare EVERYTHING that is required
- Provide originals and photocopies of ALL documents
- Check and re-check
- Submit a full application to the embassy – this means having all the required documents
Before you go any further, have a look at the embassy’s website for a list of the essential documents.
To apply for your visa, you must submit to the embassy the following documents. Please note, this is not the full list, so this is why you should check the embassy’s website for further details:
2) Passport with at least 2 free pages, issued in the last 10 years, and valid for at least 3 months beyond the trip
4) A valid Alien Resident Card or a US visa (not B1/B2)
5) Proof of financial sufficiency – Last 3 bank and credit card statements
6) 2 years x W-2 tax forms
7) Verification of employment status:
– Employed: reference letter from employer confirming job role and salary
– Self-employed: letter from bank confirming company is in good standing
– Students: Valid I-20 and letter of reference stating you are in good standing. Plus, details of major and when graduating
8) Hotel booking and/or details of traveling in a group
9) Notarized letter of invitation if visiting family/friends OR invitation from the company if traveling for business
10) Travel medical insurance valid for the entire trip with a minimum cover of €30,000 for hospitalization, emergency medical care, and repatriation
11) Criminal record certificate
12) Medical certificate
13) Confirmed return flight, travel reservations, and full itinerary
14) Parental consent and/or financial responsibility agreement/parent’s passport (s) (minors)
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 3: Attend your appointment
Arrive early for your appointment at the embassy. If you are late, your appointment may be cancelled. In addition, don’t forget anything and dress the part in order to make a good impression.
When the staff is reviewing your application, they may ask you extra interview questions like:
- Have you ever traveled before?
- What is your salary?
- Do you know anyone in the Schengen area?
- Are you married?
- What do you do in the US?
All you need to do is answer the questions truthfully and to the point. Don’t waffle on if a simple yes or no will be sufficient.
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
If this is your first time applying for a Schengen visa, your fingerprints will be taken. However, if you have previously given this data and it has been stored on the Visa Information System (VIS) within the last 5 years, it can be re-used.
In addition, you’ll have to pay the relevant visa fee:
Schengen Visa Fee
Free of Charge
Nationals of third countries with which the EU has concluded Visa Facilitation Agreements (Russian Federation, Ukraine (1 & 2), Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cape Verde*, Republic of Moldova (1 & 2), Albania, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia & Herzegovina, FYROM)
For some categories of nationals of these third countries, the visa fee is waived. Please check the provisions of the relevant VFA.
* The visa fee for nationals of Cape Verde is 69.00 USD, but there are exemptions for some categories
-Children 0-12 years.
-Family members of EU/EEA and Swiss citizens.
-School pupils, students, post-graduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake stays for the purpose of study or educational training.
-Researchers from third countries traveling for the purpose of carrying out scientific research.
-Representatives of non-profit organizations aged 25 years or less participating in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organized by non-profit organizations.
– Holders of diplomatic and service passports
-Participants aged 25 or less in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events, organized by non-profit organizations.
Reduced fees are available depending on your circumstances
Step 4: Receive your visa
When the embassy has reached a decision about your visa application, your passport will be returned to you via the postal system. You must check the visa for any errors. For example, the type of visa might not match that which you applied for. If there are any errors, you must contact the embassy immediately, so they can remedy this for you.
Sometimes, Schengen visa applications are denied. This could be because:
- There are missing documents
- There are no signatures
- You have applied for the wrong type of visa
- The embassy cannot establish why you wish to travel to Greece
- Your passport is not valid for 3 months exceeding return date
- Your bank statements show you don’t have enough money
First things first, you must apply for the right visa, so check the embassy’s website before you start. Provide all the required documents and make sure you sign the ones that need signatures. If your passport does not meet the above requirements, you must apply for a new one before starting the application for a visa. The reason for travel must be clear to the embassy either with the documents you provide or verbally. With regard to confirmation that you have sufficient money to pay for the trip, make sure your paperwork reflects this.
Contact detail for the Embassy of Greece in Washington
Address: 2217 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20008
Phone: +1 202 939 1300
Fax: +1 202 939 1324
Monday, 9.30 am – 1.00 pm and 2.00 pm – 4.00 pm
Tuesday, 9.30 am – 1.00 pm
Wednesday, 9.30 am – 1.00 pm
Thursday, 9.30 am – 1.00 pm and 2.00 pm – 4.00 pm
There are just 4 steps to apply for your Greek Schengen visa:
- Make your appointment online
- Get your paperwork ready
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
A simple step-by-step process and, once you get to the end, all you need to do is to count down the days until you can jet off into the sun!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.