How to Apply for a Germany Schengen Visa from Australia in 5 Easy Steps – A Complete Guide
Germany is a fabulous Schengen country and one you will love from the moment you land. It’s got an interesting history as well as historical attractions, delicious food and drinks and lots of exciting festivals. What are you waiting for? In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Germany visa in Australia, Germany visa appointment booking, processing time at the Germany visa application centre, flight itinerary for Germany visa, hotel bookings for a Germany visa, Schengen travel insurance for a Germany visa application, and Germany visa application process at the visa office in Australia.
Germany Schengen Visas
In 2018, German embassies around the world received 2,056,296 Schengen visa applications. Of this amount, 186,699 were denied. There was no data regarding the number of applications received and rejected by the Austrian Embassy.
Applying for a Schengen Visa from Australia
If you are currently living in Australia and you want to go to Germany, you can do this easily from Australia. If you are a citizen of Australia, you do not need to apply for a visa. If you are not a citizen, you can still apply, but you must be able to prove that you are living in Australia legally.
VFS Global has offices located in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney and you can submit your application to whichever one is convenient for you.
Types of Schengen visas offered at VFS Global/the Austrian Embassy in Canberra
The type of visa you will apply for will depend on your reason for travelling to Germany and the duration of your trip. There are 3 types of visa available:
- Schengen visa – type C – you will apply for this type of visa if you are travelling for tourism, business, visiting family or friends for up to 90 days
- Airport Transit visa – type A – this type of visa is required if you are changing planes en route to your final destination in a German airport and not leaving the international zone of the airport
- National visa – type D – you will need this type of visa if you are staying in Germany for 91-180 days for tourism, business trip, conference, student exchange or you intend to take up short-term employment (not more than 6 months)
How Can I Apply for a Schengen Visa from VFS Global in Australia?
You must apply at least 30 days before your trip. Applications are processed within 15 days, but it may take longer if you apply during busy periods. You may apply up to 90 days ahead of your departure date, so the earlier the better!
Here are 5 easy steps to follow to help you apply for your visa:
Step 1: How to complete your application?
Go to VFS Global’s website and click on “Visa Types” and then choose the visa you are applying for:
Then click on “Documents required”:
There is a PDF file called “Checklist and Schengen Visa Form” which you can download onto your PC where you can complete and print it off. It’s a good idea to refer to the checklist so you know what documents you need too.
Step 2: How to make an appointment?
Making appointments with the embassy, consulate or visa application centre is generally free and can be done yourself. However, if you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, the visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below.
- Go to VFS Global’s website and click on “Schedule an appointment”
- Click on the link to book an appointment
- Register as a new user
- Log in and make an appointment on a day that’s convenient for you
Step 3: Prepare your documents
The documents required for your visa application can be found on VFS Global’s website, so go through this before you do anything else. It’s so important to provide all the necessary paperwork to avoid your application being denied.
You should also prepare photocopies as well as providing the original documents, so don’t forget to do that too!
- Completed visa application form
- Appointment confirmation letter for submission of documents. This needs to be done online at www.vfsglobal.com/austria/australia
- Passport photographs not older than 6 months
- Passport – must be valid for at least three months after the date of departure from the Schengen zone, at least two empty pages and issued no more than 10 years ago
- Proof of visa status in Australia – VEVO verification email sent directly from the Australian Department of Home Affairs’ website to email@example.com on the day you submit your application
- Round trip flight tickets
- Valid travel insurance with a minimum cover of EUR 30,000 in the event of urgent medical treatment, hospitalisation, repatriation for medical reasons, repatriation of mortal remains and funeral expenses. The insurance must be valid throughout all Schengen countries and for the entire duration of your stay
- Proof of sufficient funds – bank statements for the last three months
- Proof of accommodation – such as a hotel reservation. If staying with a private host: original signed invitation letter
- Certified copy of marriage certificate/certificate of registered relationship and certified copy of spouse’s passport
- Proof of residence in Australia (lease/rental agreement, council rate notice or land purchase document
- For employees: documents proving your employment status in the company such as contract, pay slips or a letter from employer
- If self-employed: certified copy of business registration
- For students: signed letter from university confirming enrollment, the payment of tuition fees or/and any scholarships as well as the purpose and duration of stay
- Employment contract/work permit
- Letter of consent and parent’s ID (for minors)
- Express Post A4 500g prepaid self-addressed envelope with signature on delivery (for passport return)
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: A guide to your visa appointment
On the day of your appointment, remember the following things:
- Arrive at the embassy at least 10 minutes before your appointment to avoid having to reschedule
- Don’t forget any of the documents that you prepared earlier in case VFS Global sends you home without accepting your application
- Dress smartly to make a good impression and to convey that you are serious about wanting to get a visa for Germany
The visa officer may ask you questions about the information you have given. This is simply to clarify what you have stated and for them to be able to make a fair decision about whether to grant your visa or not, so answer truthfully.
- What is your job?
- How long have you been living in Australia?
- Do you know anyone in Germany?
- Are you going alone?
- What are you going to do when you return to Australia?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
|Type of visa||Fee|
|Schengen visa – up to 90 days||98 AUD/€60|
|National visa – over 90 days||Varies. See VFS Global’s website|
|Child between 6-12 years of age||58 AUD/€35|
|Children under the age of six||Free|
VFS Global also charge a fee of AUD$42.90 for their services. You can pay by credit or debit card. Please note, the visa and service fee is non-refundable even if your application is denied.
If this is your first time applying for a Schengen visa, you will have to have your photo taken and a scan of your fingerprints.
Step 5: Receive your visa
Once you have handed in your application, you can track its progress. All you need to do is, go to VFS Global’s website and click on: “Track your application” and key in your reference number and last name.
When your application has been processed, your passport will be returned to you in the pre-paid envelope you provided.
The decision will be either:
- Approved – your visa will be inside your passport
- Rejected – this would have been for a specific reason and you can appeal the decision
- Human error – unfortunately we are all human and sometimes mistakes are made. If you think that this has happened you need to contact the visa office and explain why you think this is
- You already have a valid Schengen visa – if you have applied for a Schengen visa previously and it was approved, it may still be valid, so check your passport before you apply for a new one
- Purpose of your trip is not clear – you must have a valid reason for travelling to Germany. This could be tourism or business etc., but whatever it is, you must show proof of that reason, for example, a tour itinerary or an invitation to attend a meeting
- No evidence of your intention to return home – you must show that you are planning to return home before the expiry of the visa such as proof that you own a home or have a job
How to contact VFS Global in Australia?
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Centre: +61282784527
- Contact Centre Hours of Operation: 9:00 to 17:00 AEST
Level 4, 90 King William Street, Adelaide, South Australia – 5000
Level 8, 87 Wickham Terrace, Spring Hill, Queensland 4004
Level 4, 10 Hobart Place, Canberra, ACT 2601
Suite 3, level 13, 55 Swanston Street, Melbourne, Victoria – 3000
Suite 330, 267 St Georges Terrace, Level 3, Perth WA 6000
Suite 9.03, Level 9, 139 Macquarie Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
To apply for a Schengen visa for Germany at VFS Global in Australia, follow these simple steps:
- Complete your application by downloading it
- Register and make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
Once you get your visa, you can start planning your trip to Germany!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.