France Visa from UK – 5 Easy Steps to Apply for French Schengen Visa
The cities of France have a lot to offer! The iconic Eiffel tower in Paris provides excellent views and fabulous photographic opportunities. Bordeaux for its wine or Bourges for its gardens and canals – both perfect for exploring. Out in the Schengen country, you’ve got the stunning French Alps or the Verdon Gorge where you can hike and bike to your heart’s content! In this article learn more about how to apply for France visa at the French consulate in London, Edinburgh, Manchester, France visa appointment booking, Processing time at the France visa application center, flight itinerary for France visa, hotel bookings for France visa, Schengen travel insurance for France visa application, and France Visa Application Process at the London, Edinburgh and Manchester embassy.
France Schengen Visa
In 2018, French embassies and consulates around the world received 4,010,604 visa applications. Of this total amount, 629,997 were not issued. The Consulate General of France in London received 126,763 applications and rejected 1,190.
Applying for a France Visa from the United Kingdom
If you are planning on traveling to France and you currently live in the United Kingdom, you may or may not need to apply for a visa. Citizens of the following countries do NOT need to obtain a visa for France:
If you are not from any of the above countries and you are currently living in the UK on a permanent basis, you will need to apply for a visa to be able to enter and stay in France.
You can do this easily from the UK as long as you can provide proof that you have a legal right to stay. Moreover, your residence permit must be valid for at least 3 months beyond your departure from France.
Where to Apply for a France Visa in the UK
You have to make sure you apply at the right French embassy and consulate. Visa applications are processed by the Consulate General of France in London, however, you will submit your application to TLS Contact. There are no consular areas, so you can choose from one of the visa application centers located in the United Kingdom:
The first thing you need to do is to register your application on France Visas’ website. You will then be directed to TLS Contact to make an appointment.
Types of Schengen Visas Offered at the Consulate General of France in London
There are different types of visas you can apply for and the one you need will depend on the duration of your trip and your reason for traveling to France:
- Schengen visa type A: Airport Transit visa – if you are in transit and waiting for a second flight to your final destination
- Schengen visa type C: Short-stay visa – for stays up to 90 days for the purposes of tourism, business, or visiting family/friends. This visa may be issued for one, two or multiple entries
- National visa type D: Long-stay visa – for stays exceeding 90 days for the purposes of employment, business, study, research, family unification, residence etc. This visa is issued for one or multiple entries
How to Apply for a France Visa from the UK
Your visa application will take around 15 days to be processed, so you should apply at least 20 days prior to your trip. However, it could take longer depending on the type of visa you are applying for and your nationality. You can apply up to 90 days ahead, so don’t leave it too late.
Here are a few steps to help you apply for your France visa:
Step 1: Register on France Visas website and complete your application form
Go to France Visas website and click on: “Start your visa application”:
Read the instructions and click on: “Access”:
You will need to create an account and then log in:
Once you have registered, you will be able to complete your visa application form online. Make sure you print the application form and the receipt because you will need to take both when you go to TLS Contact.
Step 2: Create a TLS Contact account and make an appointment
Making appointments with the embassy or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make appointments on your own by following the steps below. Once you know which visa application center you will be submitting your application to:
- Go to the relevant website and click on: “Create an account”
- Key in and confirm your email address
- Create a password
- Check the box next to “I agree with terms and conditions of service and privacy notice”
- Click on: “Create”:
- Then, you can use your details to log in and make your appointment
Please note, if you do not wish to use TLS Contact, you can contact the consulate for a direct appointment.
Appointments at the consulate are compulsory and must be made through TLS Contact by calling 0845 7300 118, Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm. A member of staff will call you back with an appointment day and time.
Note that direct appointments are only available on Wednesday mornings. There is a longer appointment waiting time for the French Consulate General, so it’s advisable to submit your application at TLS Contact.
Step 3: Prepare your documents
You should consult France Visas’ visa wizard to determine what documents are required for the type of visa you are applying for. If you submit an application with anything missing, it could be rejected.
Remember to provide originals and photocopies of everything too!
- A valid passport issued within the previous 10 years, have 2 free pages, and it must have at least 3 months remaining after your departure from France
- A valid UK residence permit or other form of identity card
- Visa application form – fully completed and signed
- 1 x photo – it must be glued on the application form and it must meet certain specifications
- Round trip flight/travel reservation and proof of confirmed organized trip. Note that Embassies in UK may require actual fully paid tickets for the visa application and not the flight reservations based on the jurisdiction you live in. So double check the embassy requirements within your jurisdiction before submitting the documents for visa application.
- A full travel itinerary for the entire duration of your trip
- Schengen Travel insurance – for medical emergency and repatriation in the Schengen area for a minimum cover of €30,000
- Hotel reservations or rental agreement or booking from a travel agency
- Proof of sufficient funds – last 3 bank statements or travelers checks OR proof of financial support
- Reference letter of employment in the UK and/or payslips (employed)
- A recent letter from your accountant, banker or solicitor confirming professional activity or proof of company ownership (self-employed)
- An official recent letter from a school, college or university within the UK (students)
- Pension statement for the last 6 months (Retirees)
- Marriage certificate
- Parental consent and parent’s ID (for minors)
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: Attend your appointment
On the day of your appointment, go to TLS Contact and make sure you arrive early with all your documents ready. You will be guided through the following steps:
- The security guards will screen your bags for unauthorized items and ask you to switch off your mobile phone
- The customer service representative will check to see if your application, passport and ID picture are all in order, so they can be submitted
- You will proceed to the waiting room where you will wait for your name and reference number to appear on the screen
- When it’s your turn, the staff will check all your documents. If your application is not complete, you will be able to bring the missing documents before 2.30 pm on the same day OR ask for your application to be transferred to the consulate in London for processing OR withdraw your application OR upgrade to the Premium Service. See TLS Contact’s website for more information regarding these options
- Once your application has been checked, you will be invited to proceed to the payment of the requested fees at the till
- The staff will collect your biometric data, which is a scan of your fingerprints and a photograph if this is your first time applying for a visa for France. If you have a previous visa and provided biometrics within the last 59 months, the data can be reused
Once your application is sent to the consulate for processing, you may be called for an interview if the consulate wishes to clarify any of the information you have stated. If they do this, comply with their wishes and be honest with your answers to the questions they may ask you.
Typical questions include:
- Have you ever been to France before?
- What do you know about the Schengen area?
- Can you show me your bank statements?
- What do you do in the UK?
- Are you planning on meeting anyone in France?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
France Visa Fee
In addition to the visa fee, TLS Contact may also charge a service fee, so you should check the amount with them. These fees are non-refundable.
|Type of visa||Fee|
Step 5: Receive your visa
Once your visa application has been processed by the Consulate General of France in London, it will be returned to TLS Contact and you will be notified:
- Online on your TLS Contact account that you have created
- Via SMS
- Via email
You can choose to have your passport returned by courier, in which case it will be returned on the same day it is received by TLS Contact (London only).
If you wish to collect your passport from TLS Contact, you will need :
- Your application checklist
- A valid ID
If you do not take the above documents, you will be unable to get your passport back.
The decision will be either:
- Approved – you will find your France visa inside your passport
- Rejected – your visa application has been refused for a reason. You can usually appeal the decision
- Hotel booking not included – you must provide a confirmed hotel reservation when you apply for a France visa
- Lack of funds – you must be able to afford your trip and you must provide evidence that you can do so
- Damaged/invalid passport – if your passport is damaged or invalid in any way, you must get a new one before applying for your visa
- Employment status is not clear – you must provide evidence that you are either employed, self-employed, a student or retired
Contact details for TLS Contact in the United Kingdom
Address: Exhibition House, Suite 18, Addison Bridge Place, London, W14 8XP
Tel: 084 57 30 01 18
Email: Contact form
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30 am – 3.30 pm (Visa application submissions); Monday to Friday, 8.30 am – 4.30 pm (Passport collections)
Address: 4th floor, 2A Robertson Avenue, Edinburgh EH11 1PZ
Tel: 084 57 30 01 18
Email: Contact form
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30 am – 1.00 pm (Visa application submissions); Monday to Friday, 8.30 am – 1.00 pm (Passport collections)
Address: The Junction, Quay Side, Salford Quays, Manchester, M50 3SG
Tel: 084 57 30 01 18
Email: Contact form
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30 am – 4.30 pm (Visa application submissions); Monday to Friday, 8.30 am – 4.30 pm (Passport collections)
In summary, there are just 5 easy steps to apply for your France visa from the UK before you take off for your exciting trip:
- Register on France Visas website and complete your application form
- Create a TLS Contact account and make an appointment
- Prepare your documents
- Attend your appointment
- Receive your visa
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.