Danish Embassy Washington DC – 5 Easy Steps to Apply for Denmark Schengen Visa
Part of Scandinavia, Denmark is a popular Schengen destination with heaps of exciting things to do. There are around 400 islands and on the largest, Jutland, lies Ribe where you can see the night watchman as he makes his nightly rounds through the streets. Skagen is great for exploring with its buried church, lighthouses and white sandy beaches. The Wadden Sea National Park is also in this region and there are outdoor activities from hiking to swimming (in the summer!). In this article learn more about how to apply for Denmark visa at the Danish embassy in Washington, DC, Denmark visa appointment booking, Processing time at the Denmark visa application center, flight itinerary for Denmark visa, hotel bookings for Denmark visa, Schengen travel insurance for Denmark visa application, and Denmark Visa Application Process at the Washington DC embassy.
Denmark Schengen Visas
In 2017, there were 152,467 Denmark Schengen visas received and 9,585 (6.29%) were not issued. The Consulate General of Denmark in New York received 4,862 applications and rejected 8 (0.2%).
Applying for a Denmark Schengen Visa from the United States
Certain nationalities need to apply for a visa to be able to enter Denmark. To see whether you need a visa, you can check the Embassy of Denmark’s website. Generally, US citizens do NOT need a visa, but citizens of the following countries DO need a visa:
- Burkina Faso
- Burma (Myanmar)
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- Dominican Republic
- Equatorial Guinea
- Ivory Coast
- North Korea
- North Macedonia
- Papua New Guinea
- Sao Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Passports issued by the Palestinian Authority
In order to apply from the United States, you must live in the country on a permanent basis and you must be able to prove your legal right to stay. If you hold a B1/B2 visa, you cannot apply for a visa from the US. Instead, you must apply from your home country.
You have to make sure you apply at the right Danish embassy and consulate. The Embassy of Denmark in Washington DC has outsourced visa applications to VFS GLobal, so you may apply through their office in Washington. However, depending on your location, you are free to submit your application to any of the VFS Global offices in the US:
- New York
- Washington DC
- San Francisco
If you are applying through VFS Global in Washington, it is the Consulate General of Denmark in New York that will make the decision about your visa application.
Types of Schengen Visas Offered at VFS Global/the Consulate General of Denmark in New York
There are 2 types of visas that you may apply for and the one you need will depend on the duration of your trip and the purpose of your stay in Denmark:
- Schengen visa – for tourism, business, cultural or scientific events or visiting family and/or friends for a maximum of 90 days
- National visa – for work, study, religious reasons, permanent residence etc., for over 90 days. You will also require a residence and work permit. You can check the embassy’s website for further information regarding this
When you apply for your visa, you can choose how many times you wish to enter the country during the validity of the visa. Schengen visas are usually issued as:
- Single entry (1 entry)
- Double entry (2 entries)
- Multiple entry (Unlimited entries)
National visas are usually issued as:
- Single entry
- Multiple entry
Schengen Visa Application Process at VFS Global in Washington
Before you begin the process of applying for your visa, take a look at the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark. There is a lot of information about the application procedure, what is required, and how to go about it.
It takes around 15 days for the consulate in New York to make a decision about visa applications, but it could take longer depending on where you are from and the type of visa you are applying for – sometimes up to 60 days. You can apply up to 90 days ahead, so it’s recommended that you apply well in advance.
Processing times can also be affected at different times of the year, so you should expect the review of your application to take longer in May, June, July, August, and December due to peak season travel.
It is strongly recommended that you submit your application no later than 20-30 days prior to departure for the following reasons:
- It can take up to 14 days to obtain an appointment with VFS Global for submitting your application
- Application processing does not begin until it arrives at the Consulate General of Denmark in New York. Plus, the shipping of your documents to and from the consulate adds 2-4 days to the processing time
- If you submit your application less than 15 days before your trip, it may still be accepted at VFS, but the final decision might be taken after the date of departure
To help you apply for your Denmark visa, here a few steps you can follow:
Step 1: Complete your application
The first step is to complete your application. Go to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark and click on: “Travel and residence” and then “Visa”:
Next, click on: “Business, tourist, and private visitor visa”:
On this page, scroll down to “How to apply” and click on: “Visa self-service – Denmark”:
This is the portal for registering and completing your application. Click on: “How to apply online”:
You will see a number of steps that you need to complete in order to apply online. Read this information before proceeding:
You will need to register yourself as a new user:
Then, you can log in:
You will then be able to complete your visa application which will be submitted online to the consulate in New York. You do NOT need to provide the application form to VFS Global, but you MUST provide the cover letter which can be printed from the application system. If this letter is not handed into VFS Global within 14 days, the fee will still be taken from your bank account.
The application form for National visas can be found on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark. Click on the link:
You will be directed to the SIRI application form guide. If you scroll through this, you’ll find the correct application form for your visa which you can download for completion:
Step 2: Make your appointment online
Making appointments with the embassy or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the below steps:
- Go to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark and click on: “Where to apply”:
- Scroll down to “Schedule an appointment” and click on the link for the office of VFS Global that you wish to use:
- The next page is VFS Global’s booking system and you’ll need to register as a new user:
- Then, login:
Once you’ve done that, you’ll be able to make a suitable appointment for you to submit your application to VFS Global in Washington.
Step 3: Get your documents ready
Step 3 is to prepare your documents in order to submit a complete application to VFS Global in Washington. If you fail to comply with the requirements, your visa application will be rejected by the consulate in New York, so it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with what is needed.
There are document checklists available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark, so take a look at these before you start:
In addition, you will need to provide colored photocopies as well as original documents, so don’t forget to do that.
Documents to get ready include:
- Visa self-service cover letter – signed and dated. You should have submitted your visa application form electronically
- 1 x color passport photo not older than 6 months. See the guidelines for acceptable photos
- Receipt for payment from your online application
- Original passport valid for 3 months after your departure date from the Schengen area, issued no longer than 10 years ago and has 2 blank pages
- Previous Schengen visas including entry/exit points over the past 5 years (if applicable)
- Valid US residence card or a valid US visa (valid for 3 months longer than trip) with valid I-94 OR I-20/DS-2019
- Proof of financial means – 3 x bank/credit card statements ($90 per day for hotel accommodation or $60 for hostel or cruise)
- Letter from employer stating your length of employment and if you can return to your job
- Latest tax returns and business license (if you are self-employed)
- Proof of enrollment (if you are a student)
- Pension income (if you are retired)
- Unemployed benefits or financial support proof (if you are unemployed/financially dependent)
- Flight itineraries for all planned stays in the Schengen area
- Hotel/hostel bookings for the entire trip
- Schengen Travel insurance for a minimum of €30,000 for the entire duration
- Notarized consent of parent (s)/birth certificate for minors (translated into English if applicable)
- Letter of invitation from host confirming the reason for visiting Denmark and length of stay
- Evidence of participation in any type of event or conference
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: Submitting your file
When your appointment date arrives, remember the following things:
- Arrive early – if you are late, your appointment may have to be rescheduled
- Don’t forget your paperwork – if you submit an incomplete application, you will have to reschedule to a time when you are able to provide the necessary documents
- Dress smartly – don’t turn up in t-shirt and shorts if you wish to convey a good impression
When you go to VFS Global, all you need to do is to hand your documents over to them. They will then send your application to the consulate in New York for processing. If the consulate needs any more information from you, they may ask you to attend an interview to question you further about your application.
They might ask you questions like:
- What are your plans when you arrive in Denmark?
- What will you do when you return to the US?
- How will you fund your trip?
- Can you show me your bank statements?
- Are you planning on meeting anyone in Denmark or the European Union?
You should answer any questions truthfully and with confidence. The consulate is simply trying to obtain all the facts from you in order to make a decision about your application.
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
You should have already paid the required fee for your visa when you completed your application. There are also additional fees charged by VFS Global to cover service costs and courier fees. These fees are non-refundable, even if your application is rejected.
|Schengen short-stay visa
|Schengen short-stay visas children aged 6-11
|Reduced fee for applicants of the following nationalities: Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Moldova, Montenegro, Russian Federation, Serbia, and Ukraine
|Long-stay visas (category D)
VFS Global service fee
VFS Global courier fee
If you are applying for a Schengen visa for the first time, you will have to appear in person in order to provide biometric data. However, if you have done this within the last 5 years, your data can be re-used and you have the option of mailing your application to VFS Global. See the embassy’s website for further information if this applies to you.
Step 5: Receiving your visa
When a decision has been reached about your visa, you will be notified and you can either collect your passport from VFS Global or have it returned by mail.
The decision will be either:
- Approved – you will find your visa attached to one of the blank pages inside your passport
- Rejected – your visa application has been rejected for a specific reason
- You have not provided a valid passport – if your passport is not valid in any way (see above), you must obtain a new one before applying for your visa
- Proof of funds is missing – you must provide proof that you can afford your trip, such as bank statements and/or credit cards
- The travel insurance is not for the required amount of cover – you must obtain travel insurance for a minimum of €30,000. There are no exceptions
- You have an active Schengen visa – if you have a previous Schengen visa, it may still be valid, so before you begin to apply for a new one, check the dates of the previous one
Contact details for VFS Global in Washington DC
Address: 1025 Vermont Avenue NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20005
Visa application call center hours: Monday to Friday, 10.00 am – 6.00 pm
Contact details of the Consulate General of Denmark in NYC, New York
Address: Chrysler Building East, 666 Third Avenue, 11th Floor, New York, NY, 10017
Tel: +1 (212) 223 4545
Fax: +1 (212) 754 1904
All you need to do to apply for your Denmark Schengen or National visa is:
- Complete your online application
- Book an appointment at VFS Global
- Get your documents ready
- Submit your file
- Receive your visa
Then, when you have your visa in your hand, all you need to do is begin the countdown until you leave for Denmark!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.