Danish Consulate Houston – 5 Easy Steps to Apply for Denmark Schengen Visa
Denmark is a popular destination in the Schengen area for many people. It’s capital – Copenhagen – is full of wonderful architecture, a vibrant nightlife and much more to see and do. Regions, like Jutland, are interesting places for their old towns and holidays spots. Lolland-Falster is home to the most beautiful scenery in the country and it’s the place you’ll find the impressive Cliffs of Mon. Whatever you end up doing in Denmark, you’re in for a fabulous time! In this article learn more about how to apply for Denmark visa at the Danish consulate in Houston, Texas, Denmark visa appointment booking, Processing time at the Denmark visa application center, flight itinerary for Denmark visa, hotel bookings for Denmark visa, Schengen travel insurance for Denmark visa application, and Denmark Visa Application Process at the Houston consulate.
Denmark Schengen Visa
In 2017, 152,467 Schengen visa applications for Denmark were received. 9,585 of these were not issued, making a rejection rate of 6.29%. Figures for the consulate in Houston were not available, however, it is the consulate in New York that deals with visa applications. They received 4,862 applications and rejected only 8 of them.
Applying for Denmark Schengen Visa from the United States
If you are a non-US citizen, you need to apply for a visa if you’re planning on traveling to Denmark. You can do this from the United States if you live permanently in the country and you don’t hold a B1/B2 type of visa.
If you check the consulate’s website, there is a list of countries who do need a visa for Denmark and those that do not:
You have to make sure you apply at the right Danish embassy and consulate. The Consulate General of Denmark in Houston does not process visa applications. Instead, you can apply through VFS Global. There are several offices located across the US, so you can apply through the one that is closest to you:
- New York
- Washington DC
- San Francisco
Therefore, if you live in the Houston area, you can submit your file in person to VFS Global in Houston. However, it is the Denmark consulate in New York that will make the decision about whether your visa will be approved or not.
Types of Schengen Visas Offered at VFS Global/the Consulate General of Denmark in New York
There are 2 types of visas offered by VFS Global/the consulate in New York and the one you apply for will depend on the length of your trip to Denmark:
Then, depending on your reason for traveling to Denmark, you’ll need to choose the correct category of visa:
- Tourism, business, cultural or scientific events or visiting family and/or friends.
Schengen visas are usually issued as:
- Single entry – Maximum of 1 entry
- Double entry – Maximum of 2 entries
- Multiple entry – Unlimited entries
- Work, study, religious reasons, permanent residence etc. You will also require a residence and work permit. You can check the consulate’s website for further information regarding this.
National visas can be single entry or multiple entry only.
Schengen Visa Application Process at VFS Global in Houston
It’s a good idea to look at the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark before you do anything else. That way, you can learn what you need to do and how to go about it. It’s important to adhere to all the requirements in order to have the best chance of a successful outcome.
The consulate in New York aims to process visa applications within 15 calendar days, but this timescale may increase during peak times (May, June, July, August, and December).
You can apply as much as 3 months ahead of your trip, but if you don’t it’s recommended that you submit your application no later than 20-30 days prior to departure.
In addition, it can take up to 14 days to get an appointment at VFS Global and your application is NOT processed until it reaches the consulate in New York. Also, there are 2-4 days added to the processing time due to your documents being sent to and from the consulate.
To help you apply for your Denmark visa, here a few steps which you should follow one-by-one. The first step is to complete your application:
Step 1: Complete your application
Go to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark and click on: “Travel and residence” and then “Visa”:
On the next page, click on: “Business, tourist, and private visitor visa”:
On this page, scroll down and you will see: “How to apply”. Click on: “Visa self-service – Denmark”:
This is the portal for registering and completing your application. Click on: “How to apply online”:
On the next page, there are a number of steps that you need to complete:
- Register and log in
- Start application
- Fill in the application
- Select application fee
- Reserve payment
- Print and sign cover letter
- Check status
Next, register yourself as a new user:
Then, you can log in:
From there, you’ll be able to complete your visa application which will be submitted online to the consulate in New York. There is no need to provide this to VFS Global when you hand over the rest of your documents, but you MUST provide the cover letter which can be printed from the application system. If this letter is not handed into VFS Global within 14 days, the fee will still be taken from your bank account.
The application form for National visas can be found on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark. Click on the link and you’ll be able to download the application form to complete:
Step 2: Make your appointment online
Making appointments with the embassy or visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also book an appointment yourself by following the below steps:
- You can make your appointment for both Schengen and National visas by going to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark and clicking on: “Where to apply”
- Scroll down to “Schedule an appointment” and click on the link for the office of VFS Global that you wish to use
- The next page is VFS Global’s booking system and you’ll need to register as a new user
- Then, log in
Once you’ve done that, you’ll be able to make an appointment on a day and at a time that is convenient for you to go to the office and hand over your documents.
Step 3: Get your documents ready
This step is important! You need to make sure you provide all the required documents to VFS Global in order for the consulate in New York to process your application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted, so it’s prudent to take a look at the requirements before you start.
If you go to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark you’ll find checklists for the type of visa you are applying for:
In addition, you will need to provide colored photocopies as well as original documents, so don’t forget to do that.
Documents to get ready include:
- Visa self-service cover letter –signed and dated
- One recent color passport photo not older than 6 months. See the guidelines for acceptable photos
- Receipt for payment from your online application
- Original passport valid for 3 months remaining after you trip, issued no longer than 10 years ago, and 2 blank pages
- Previous Schengen visas including entry/exit points over the past 5 years
- Valid US residence card or a valid US visa (valid for 3 months longer than trip) with valid I-94 OR I-20/DS-2019
- Proof of sufficient funds – 3 x bank/credit card statements ($90 per day for hotel accommodation or $60 for hostel or cruise)
- A letter from Employer stating your length of employment and if you can return to your job
- Latest tax returns and business license if self-employed
- Proof of enrollment for students
- Pension income if retired
- Unemployed benefits or financial support proof
- Flight itineraries for all planned stays in the Schengen area
- Hotel bookings for the entire trip
- Schengen Travel insurance – minimum of €30,000 ($40,000) for the entire duration
- Notarized parental consent and birth certificate for minors (translated into English if applicable)
- Invitation letter from host stating the reason for visiting Denmark and length of stay
- Confirmation of registration for event/conference
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Step 4: Submitting your file
When your appointment date arrives, go to VFS Global in Houston. Remember to have all the required documents, arrive early, and don’t dress too casually.
It is simply a matter of handing over your documents to VFS Global, so the appointment shouldn’t take too long. However, as mentioned above, it is the consulate in New York that will be making the decision about your visa. If they need further information from you, they may call you for an interview to ask you more questions. If they do this, simply answer anything put to you honestly and politely. They might ask you questions:
- Are you married?
- Why are you traveling to Denmark?
- What do you know about Denmark?
- Do you know anyone living in the European Union?
- What is your job in the US?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
You should have already paid the required fee for your visa when you completed your application, however, if you were not able to pay this by credit card, you will need to pay the fee at VFS Global. VFS Global also charge additional fees for their service and courier fees for mailing your application to the consulate for processing. Fees for short-stay Schengen visas will be deducted in Euros, not USD. These fees are non-refundable, even if your application is rejected.
Denmark Schengen Visa Fees
|Schengen short-stay visa||$69/€60|
|Schengen short-stay visas children aged 6-11|
|Reduced fee for applicants of the following nationalities: Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Moldova, Montenegro, Russian Federation, Serbia, and Ukraine||$40/€35|
|Long-stay visas (category D)||$226|
|VFS Global service fee|
VFS Global courier fee
If you are applying for a Schengen visa for the first time, you will have to provide biometric data. However, if you have done this within the last 5 years, your data can be re-used and you have the option of mailing your application to VFS Global.
If you are mailing your application to VFS Global, you must include the following items:
- One most recent passport photo (no more than 90 days old)
- A colored copy of the latest visa with your biometrics
- A money order or certified check made out to VFS Services USA Inc. for $93 (All locations, except New York)
Step 5: Receiving your visa
When a decision has been reached about your visa, you will be notified and you can either collect your passport from VFS Global or have it returned by mail.
The decision will be either:
If your visa application has been rejected, it would have been for a reason such as :
- Missing documents
- The wrong category of visa has been applied for
- Insufficient funds
- Purpose of travel is not clear
You must apply for the correct category of visa, so have a look at the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark before you start. The category must match your reason for traveling to Denmark. You must be able to afford your trip and the purpose of your trip must be clear, so you need to provide documents to prove this. Also, provide all the necessary paperwork. If you submit an incomplete application, the consulate cannot make a fair decision about whether to grant your visa or not.
Contact details for VFS Global in Houston
Address: 2425 West Loop S, Suite 330, Houston, TX 77027
Visa application call center hours: Monday to Friday, 10.00 am – 6.00 pm
Contact details of the consulate of Denmark in Houston
Address: Williams Tower, 2800 Post Oak Blvd, Suite 1910, Houston, Texas, 77056
Tel: +1 (713) 622 9018
Contact details of the consulate of Denmark in New York
Address: Chrysler Building East, 666 Third Avenue, 11th Floor, New York, NY, 10017
Tel: +1 (212) 223 4545
There are only 5 steps to follow when you apply for your Denmark Schengen visa:
- Complete your online application
- Book an appointment at VFS Global
- Get your documents ready
- Submit your file
- Receive your visa
Once you’ve got your visa, you can start to get ready for your fabulous trip to Denmark!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.