A Complete Guide to Denmark Visa Requirements
Denmark is one of the largest Scandinavian countries in Europe and is also a member of the Schengen region. By virtue of that, Denmark visa requirements are such that they comply with the Schengen visa requirements as well. There are several requirements you need to fulfill in order to get a Denmark visa, but first and most basic requirement is that your point of entry into the Schengen area is through Denmark or you are at least planning to spend the most number of days in the country. In the following sections of this article, we will discuss Denmark visa requirements and how you can easily apply for one.
Depending on the purpose of your travel to Denmark, there are different types of visas that you can apply for. Whether you are planning to just travel as a tourist, study or work and reside there permanently, you will have to apply for a different Denmark Visa accordingly.
TYPES OF DANISH VISAS AND DENMARK VISA REQUIREMENTS:
As mentioned above, Denmark visa requirements differ based on which category of traveller you fall in. so in addition to finding out the generic set of requirements for most Schengen visas, you need to be aware of the different types of visas you can apply for and the specific Denmark visa requirements.
Tourist visa – Probably one of the most popular Danish visas, this is meant for those travellers looking to visit Denmark for less than 90 days for the sole purpose of tourism. According to Denmark visa requirements, the following documents are required to be submitted especially for a tourist visa application to the embassy:
- Invitation letter with the address and phone number from family member or sponsor – if applicable
- Bank statement from the last 6 months
- Copies of valid passport
Business visa – A business visa is given to those who are planning to visit Denmark for engaging in temporary work or business. However, this visa definitely does not grant the applicant to take up new employment in Denmark. The documents required for applying for a business visa are:
- Invitation letter from the local Danish company you will be visiting and their detailed address along with your travel dates
- A letter from your employer stating/allowing your business travel
- Bank statement from the last 6 months
- Proprietorship/Partnership documents
- The invitation letter must also mention how the expenses of the applicant is going to be covered during his/her travel. It must be made clear whether it will be sponsored by the employer or the local company.
Visa for medical treatment – A lot of people travel to Denmark and certain other countries to seek better medical treatment or specialized treatment for a disease that cannot be treated in their own country. For this purpose, the Denmark visa requirements are the following:
- A medical report from your local doctor
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in Denmark, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation
- Payment receipt of fees for medical treatment
Visa for cultural activities, sports or film crew – This is a special visa given to applicants who want to travel to Denmark to participate in cultural or sporting events. In addition to that, film crew can also apply for a visa to get permission to shoot a film in . Documents required to be submitted to fulfil Denmark visa requirements for this category are:
- Invitation letter from the concerned authorities with details of the nature of events or activities. This letter must also mention the purpose of visit as well as how expenses will be covered
- List of names of all travelling crew members
- Duration of stay
- Travel itinerary
Student visa – Only applicants who are intending to study in a Danish institution, conduct research or even undergo some kind of educational training and internship for less than 6 months, are eligible for a student visa. The documents required to be eligible for this visa are the following:
- An enrollment certificate of an offer letter showing acceptance into a course or training program
- Certificate of completion or courses attended earlier
- Financial sustenance or proof of sponsorship/scholarship
Transit visa – As per Denmark visa requirements, a transit visa is required if there is a scheduled layover of a few hours in any Danish city before heading to your destination. In order to get an airport transit visa for Denmark, you will need to submit a copy of your valid visa for your final destination.
Official visit visa – If your travel is related to attending intergovernmental meetings, consultations, negotiations or events, you will need to apply for a special official visit visa. The following documents will have to be shown to the embassy in order to be eligible for this visa:
- The official invitation copy
- Identity of applicant
- Purpose of journey (negotiations, meetings, event by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
- Duration of stay
- Details of accommodation
GENERAL DENMARK VISA REQUIREMENTS:
In addition to the above-mentioned specific documents for each category of visa application, the usual set of documents also need to be submitted to successfully meet Denmark visa requirements. The list includes the following documents:
- Correct application form duly filled out
- Valid passport
- 2 passport-sized photographs
- Travel insurance with a minimum coverage of EUR 30,000
- Round-trip flight reservations or a complete travel itinerary
- Hotel reservation or proof of accommodation
- Letter of no objection from employer
- Bank statements from the previous 3 months
Denmark visa requirements vary from one category of visa to another. When applying for a specific visa, make sure you check the list of documents to be submitted thoroughly. The above guide should help you identify which visa you are eligible for and what are the accompanying documents you need to produce to the embassy. If you need further information about Denmark visa requirements, reach out to us through our Contact Us page.